DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recovering another drone using your Mini/Mini 2

Bradders71

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well.

Just wanted to ask your thoughts. I owned a Tello, which unfortunately, was carried away by the wind and landed on the roof of a neighbouring block (see photo). This happened on the 3rd April.

Missing my drone I instantly went out and replaced it with a DJI Mini 2. Since then I've considered mounting a rescue operation lol.

My question is this, would you risk losing a mini 2 for a Tello? If so, what suggestions would you have? I was thinking of suspending a length of something from the bottom with a magnet attached to the end, hopefully attach to motor area of the Tello. Just to add, it's not supporting any guards at the moment.
6CEEDEBE-8889-45A3-A98E-164475CBDD98.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: pachomarinc
Event though it weighs about 3 ounces I dont think a magnet will get you there.

You might try strapping a 3 inch wide by 10 inch long cardboard strip and create a shovel effect but put a bend in the Card board so your drone does not have to get to low and than just try to flip it down or lift it up, you could also put some very stick tape on the card board .

Good luck.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne
Event though it weighs about 3 ounces I dont think a magnet will get you there.

You might try strapping a 3 inch wide by 10 inch long cardboard strip and create a shovel effect but put a bend in the Card board so your drone does not have to get to low and than just try to flip it down or lift it up, you could also put some very stick tape on the card board .

Good luck.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.
Something to think about there. Thanks for the suggestion @Phantomrain.org

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
My question is this, would you risk losing a mini 2 for a Tello? If so, what suggestions would you have? I was thinking of suspending a length of something from the bottom with a magnet attached to the end, hopefully attach to motor area of the Tello.
Before you try that, try a test with something of about the same weight and made of steel and see how the Mini handles it and how you might be able to make it work.

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well.

Just wanted to ask your thoughts. I owned a Tello, which unfortunately, was carried away by the wind and landed on the roof of a neighbouring block (see photo). This happened on the 3rd April.

Missing my drone I instantly went out and replaced it with a DJI Mini 2. Since then I've considered mounting a rescue operation lol.

My question is this, would you risk losing a mini 2 for a Tello? If so, what suggestions would you have? I was thinking of suspending a length of something from the bottom with a magnet attached to the end, hopefully attach to motor area of the Tello. Just to add, it's not supporting any guards at the moment.
View attachment 127888
I like the magnet idea maybe a pen magnet, but practice first.

Reactions: Bradders71
Hello Bradders 71:

You have an intriguing dilemma! As others have mentioned a line with a hook would potentially catch the downed drone more effectively than other solutions. However, I would worry that a hook could also catch on the edge of a roof tile or other feature and tether the Mini 2 on the same roof. Then you’d have two drones to rescue!

Keep us posted!

Howard

I had a similar dilemma last year. I lost a cheap drone, like half the price of a tello, and launched my MM to try and find it in the surrounding area. I knew roughly where it was but didn't want to traips through other people's yards looking. After flying a few minutes it dawned on me I was risking a $400 good drone for a $50 drone that literally ran away from me because the controls didn't work right so it was a no brainer for me to turn around and give up. The tello is a much better drone from what I hear and you know exactly where it is but there's still the cost to benefit ratio you need to weigh for yourself

I'd put a hook on a string of at least 2m in length and try to fish it.
Hook on a string is likely the best option. Just put a weight near the hook, to keep the string weighted down. One of the Tri-hooks might even work better at grabbing part of the telo. Try the Hook Idea. I bet you will be able to lift the telo and bring it to the ground safely with the mini 2. Just take your time. Go slow, be cautious.

Hello Bradders 71:

You have an intriguing dilemma! As others have mentioned a line with a hook would potentially catch the downed drone more effectively than other solutions. However, I would worry that a hook could also catch on the edge of a roof tile or other feature and tether the Mini 2 on the same roof. Then you’d have two drones to rescue!

Keep us posted!

Howard
Yeah, I agree. That's the risk of using a hook. Maybe a metal object of adequate weight hanging from the bottom of the mini could be dragged along the roof and push the telo off the roof. Just have something ready at the ground to catch it.

I'd put a hook on a string of at least 2m in length and try to fish it.
Thanks @krodgerson. I was actually wondering how long was long enough. If too short I’m guessing the drone being lifted gets caught up in the down draft causing it to go into a spin. That will then cause the mini 2 to become unstable

Before you try that, try a test with something of about the same weight and made of steel and see how the Mini handles it and how you might be able to make it work.
@Meta4 you’re right. I need to plan this properly. Thing is, it’s now been up there 3 weeks, I’m hoping I’m not trying to recover something that’s suffered at the hands of the elements and is s as good as useless now.
I could leave it there, view it as a wreck, and check on it regularly…. Haha ?. That’s an option I guess

I’ve actually bought a magnet. Well I bought two, first was way too large though ( it didn’t look as big in the pic ).

The building originally had a flat roof, underneath the new roof, and sitting on top of the old roof, is a metal frame. That concerns me a little…. But, I think magnet is my preferred choice, only because I removed the guards on the drone and the only place left to lift would be the leg area of using a hook. I don’t know whether I could hover with such skill and finesse as you hook a leg.

Yeah, I agree. That's the risk of using a hook. Maybe a metal object of adequate weight hanging from the bottom of the mini could be dragged along the roof and push the telo off the roof. Just have something ready at the ground to catch it.
Another good suggestion, thanks @cgmaxed ??

Reactions: Howard70
Hook on a string is likely the best option. Just put a weight near the hook, to keep the string weighted down. One of the Tri-hooks might even work better at grabbing part of the telo. Try the Hook Idea. I bet you will be able to lift the telo and bring it to the ground safely with the mini 2. Just take your time. Go slow, be cautious.
Thank you @cgmaxed

Hello Bradders 71:

Keep us posted!

Howard
@Howard70 thank you. Yeah I was a little worried about getting tethered.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo