DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational flyer night lights

JayTea26

Reactions
To fly recreational at night, I purchased a separate red, green and white strobe.
I can set the strobe as on constantly, slow flashing and fast flashing.
How should they be set?

There is no need for colored lights. Just use the white one on top of the drone. They’re for manned aircraft to see you. So they need to go on top.

We prefer the flashing Light is easier to spot for a plane and the Pilot of the drone.
Simply put if its not flashing its not getting attention.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain.

Reactions: maggior
The light also must be seen at three miles. There aren't too many in that class. The best are Firehouse and Lume Cube. ViFly not too bad either.

I have 3 as well and have them set up for white, red, and green. I am using the Vifly lights others have mentioned.

White I put on top. Red I put on the side of a back leg and green goes on the diagonally opposing leg on the side. Using opposing legs to mount them balances them out.

The idea is if I see red flashing it means the drone is flying away from me, green means it's coming toward me. It's amazing how far away I can see the flashing lights flying at night. It's actually easier to keep VLOS.

I set them up to flash in a strobe pattern. I think it catches more attention and it will use less battery than being on constantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xitor and JayTea26
The light also must be seen at three miles. There aren't too many in that class. The best are Firehouse and Lume Cube. ViFly not too bad either.
Recreational flyers aren't required to use 3SM strobes. They may soon, but not at the moment. Still a good idea, but not required.

Reactions: mobilehomer
This is a useful article on this topic. I learned something...I thought you had to have part 107 certification for flying at night with the new rules. Strange that at one point, recreational pilots could fly at night and part 107 pilots had to get a waiver.

This is a useful article on this topic. I learned something...I thought you had to have part 107 certification for flying at night with the new rules. Strange that at one point, recreational pilots could fly at night and part 107 pilots had to get a waiver.

UAS Rules are constantly evolving which is why the need for re-training/testing (for Part 107) every 24 months is such a critical requirement. TBH, I think TRUST should be that same requirement as well.

Does the Strobe mounted on top have any effect on video or photos captured at night?

Does the Strobe mounted on top have any effect on video or photos captured at night?

It "Could" have an effect. Depends on proximity to surroundings and several other "dynamic" factors.

Reactions: Macinfo
I haven't had any effect either from the top mounted white lite or the colored lights mounted on the legs. I don't get any glare on the lens. If you are getting up close an personal with something (which your probably don't want to when flying at night) you could see some reflections. That's been my experience.

Reactions: Macinfo and BigAl07
I haven't had any effect either from the top mounted white lite or the colored lights mounted on the legs. I don't get any glare on the lens. If you are getting up close an personal with something (which your probably don't want to when flying at night) you could see some reflections. That's been my experience.
Thanks, makes sense if you get close to something, which could be less than safe at night, you may indeed see some reflection or illumination from whatever that might be... But if your at a modest altitude, and merely capturing colorful lighting or some other interesting night time event, does sound like there would be no impact.

Reactions: maggior
I just use a single Firehouse Arc V on top of my drone for manned aircrafts to see. I did however order two more of those bottom facing Arc V in 'multicolor' that I will set up for red and green flashing, and that's purely for my own orientation viewing.

Also as Vic Moss said (and course reminded me in a facebook group), the strobe isn't required for rec fliers, but if you're going to get some might as well get ones that can be able to be used under Part 107.

Far as impact on photo/video being on top. You have to be pretty close to subjects to see it, or filming something rather reflective/mirrored (like a skyscraper kind of building with all glass).

At distances like this, it would be hard to see it noticeably reflected in anything.

If you're flying thru a canopy of trees or getting really close to a rock face with a little upward tilt, then you may see the flash there.

I have 3 as well and have them set up for white, red, and green. I am using the Vifly lights others have mentioned.

White I put on top. Red I put on the side of a back leg and green goes on the diagonally opposing leg on the side. Using opposing legs to mount them balances them out.

The idea is if I see red flashing it means the drone is flying away from me, green means it's coming toward me. It's amazing how far away I can see the flashing lights flying at night. It's actually easier to keep VLOS.

I set them up to flash in a strobe pattern. I think it catches more attention and it will use less battery than being on constantly.
Thank you. OP here. That’s exactly why I purchased them in the first place.

Reactions: RandallW99
I would say yes, if smog present or smoke or stuff in the atmosphere where it would reflect the strobe light

I use LumeCubes and have had them out as far as 4 and a half miles and still had VLOS. I attach one going one way with a certain frequency flashing and the other pointed the other way with a different frequency flash that way I can tell the orientation of the drone even when it's miles away. The LumeCubes are a bit heavy compared to other strobes, but man are they worth it! 3 miles VLOS in the daytime with them on!

I use LumeCubes and have had them out as far as 4 and a half miles and still had VLOS. I attach one going one way with a certain frequency flashing and the other pointed the other way with a different frequency flash that way I can tell the orientation of the drone even when it's miles away. The LumeCubes are a bit heavy compared to other strobes, but man are they worth it! 3 miles VLOS in the daytime with them on!
So even more so with the Arc V.

That's a good trick with different strobe frequency even if different colors are used, though I wouldn't count anything past a mile as actual vlos since in terms of risk you wouldn't have any sense of proximity to obstacles or other aircrafts. You'd only have a general idea of where your drone is and where it may be facing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent