DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational Flying in the US

DW009

Reactions
Travelling to the us soon, accompanied by my drone for the first time.

Tried catching up with all the rules that I need to follow to fly legally and I must say it's really difficult to understand the current rules for hobbyist flying.

This is the newest update that I found from the FAA regarding hobby/recreation flying:

FAA Reauthorization Bill Establishes New Conditions for Recreational Use of Drones

• Fly for hobby or recreation only
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts

I don't mind following any of these rules and would follow them even if they didn't exist, seems very obvious to me what is stated in these rules.

But there's nothing mentioned about contacting Airports when flying in a 5-mile radius of an airport? Does this mean that, as a hobby pilot I don't have to do this?
I know about the rule of not flying at all in the 1-mile radius of an airport and would never do this.

Here's a specific example:

Let's say I wanted to fly in this area at a height of 100-150 feet, would I need to contact ATC?
This is from the official FAA Map. To my understanding, a Part 107 Pilot would request permission via LAANC and would be able to fly up to 400 feet without a problem in this area. Since I'm not a Part 107 Pilot, I'm not able to use LAANC, correct?

Miami.png

Furthermore I checked the Airmap App, which also has the 5-mile radius. It ends just at the spot that want to fly at:

Let's say I would start my drone just outside this blue area, and not fly into it, am I correct in the assumption that I would be able to fly legally in that area without requesting permission from the ATC?

IMG_7406.jpg

Best regards,
an international drone pilot that wants to follow the rules in a foreign country to not mess with my fellow US Pilots ability to fly their drones in their home country

If you are outside of that 5 mile ring its game on! Have fun! and watch for dumb manned aircraft that are breaking the rules! Have you seen the video on how much damage a plane wing to do to a small drone? :D

If you are outside of that 5 mile ring its game on! Have fun! and watch for dumb manned aircraft that are breaking the rules! Have you seen the video on how much damage a plane wing to do to a small drone? :D

lol I have seen videos of that ;)

thanks for the reply! Probably the safest thing to do is to stay outside the 5 mile ring!

But what if I wanted to fly inside the radius, like in my first screenshot? Should I just contact the airport and let them know I'll be flying there? How does this process work and how much time does it usually take? I don't want to annoy somebody in an Air Traffic Control tower who is doing important work about my recreational drone flying. Seems a little overboard to me but whatever the rules require I guess lol

What are your experiences when contacting ATC to fly in class B airspace?

lol I have seen videos of that ;)

thanks for the reply! Probably the safest thing to do is to stay outside the 5 mile ring!

But what if I wanted to fly inside the radius, like in my first screenshot? Should I just contact the airport and let them know I'll be flying there? How does this process work and how much time does it usually take? I don't want to annoy somebody in an Air Traffic Control tower who is doing important work about my recreational drone flying. Seems a little overboard to me but whatever the rules require I guess lol

What are your experiences when contacting ATC to fly in class B airspace?
I have never had to do it, but everyone says the phone calls are no big deal. I find it easier to just get outside the ring if I am ever near one. You are not asking for permission only notifying of your presence, but if they tell you NOT to fly, dont.

I have never had to do it, but everyone says the phone calls are no big deal. I find it easier to just get outside the ring if I am ever near one. You are not asking for permission only notifying of your presence, but if they tell you NOT to fly, dont.

okay I see.
Yeah I obviously wouldn't fly in that case but I'm curious as to how good my chances are of getting a permission lol

What about Heliports? Is it the same 5-mile radius? And do I need to contact every single Heliport?

I guess, better safe than sorry. That doesnt apply anywhere that I fly either.

Reactions: DW009
It's always best to let someone know and it literally takes 10 minutes. Contact the Miami tower (or whoever that is you're closest to) and you'll probably get someone who handles all the calls and let them know you wanted to fly your drone. They will ask you questions about where and what your plans are. Obviously it seems like you're just looking to get some cool shots so it wont be an issue but always be aware of where inbound and outbound traffic is because you don't want to cause an accident (especially with General Aviation planes).

Reactions: DW009
It's always best to let someone know and it literally takes 10 minutes. Contact the Miami tower (or whoever that is you're closest to) and you'll probably get someone who handles all the calls and let them know you wanted to fly your drone. They will ask you questions about where and what your plans are. Obviously it seems like you're just looking to get some cool shots so it wont be an issue but always be aware of where inbound and outbound traffic is because you don't want to cause an accident (especially with General Aviation planes).

thanks! yeah that's all it is, not planning to flying at a high altitude either, just want to follow the rules to be on the safe side

Travelling to the us soon, accompanied by my drone for the first time.

Tried catching up with all the rules that I need to follow to fly legally and I must say it's really difficult to understand the current rules for hobbyist flying.

This is the newest update that I found from the FAA regarding hobby/recreation flying:

FAA Reauthorization Bill Establishes New Conditions for Recreational Use of Drones

I don't mind following any of these rules and would follow them even if they didn't exist, seems very obvious to me what is stated in these rules.

But there's nothing mentioned about contacting Airports when flying in a 5-mile radius of an airport? Does this mean that, as a hobby pilot I don't have to do this?
I know about the rule of not flying at all in the 1-mile radius of an airport and would never do this.

Here's a specific example:

Let's say I wanted to fly in this area at a height of 100-150 feet, would I need to contact ATC?
This is from the official FAA Map. To my understanding, a Part 107 Pilot would request permission via LAANC and would be able to fly up to 400 feet without a problem in this area. Since I'm not a Part 107 Pilot, I'm not able to use LAANC, correct?

View attachment 55671

Furthermore I checked the Airmap App, which also has the 5-mile radius. It ends just at the spot that want to fly at:

Let's say I would start my drone just outside this blue area, and not fly into it, am I correct in the assumption that I would be able to fly legally in that area without requesting permission from the ATC?

View attachment 55672

Best regards,
an international drone pilot that wants to follow the rules in a foreign country to not mess with my fellow US Pilots ability to fly their drones in their home country
Be sure to check Florida state laws and local ordinances. Some Florida beaches no longer allow drones.

I am very familiar with this location and as a Part 107 pilot can tell you that there is an enormous amount of air traffic there. Inside of the blue line on your AIRMAP is Class B airspace from the SFC to 7000 MSL and you are right in the approach to Miami International Airport and in the immediate proximity of the helicopter pad at the busy Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Outside of the blue line, (toward the water) you are in uncontrolled Class G airspace from the SFC to 700 MSL and then back in Class E controlled airspace at 700 MSL. You will need to fly below 400 AGL in the USA. Outside of the blue line you will find lots of helicopters, sea planes and general aviation operations and you will need to maintain good situational awareness. The best scenery is definitely in the direction of the water and outside of the Class B airspace, where you will be able to fly. My recommendation would be to avoid the Class B airspace and stay in the uncontrolled Class G airspace. In any event, you will need to keep an eye to the sky to be able to react quickly if you need to yield. Fly safe and smart, use good common sense, and welcome to Miami Florida and the USA.

Reactions: DW009 and JSKCKNIT
I am very familiar with this location and as a Part 107 pilot can tell you that there is an enormous amount of air traffic there. Inside of the blue line on your AIRMAP is Class B airspace from the SFC to 7000 MSL and you are right in the approach to Miami International Airport and in the immediate proximity of the helicopter pad at the busy Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Outside of the blue line, (toward the water) you are in uncontrolled Class G airspace from the SFC to 700 MSL and then back in Class E controlled airspace at 700 MSL. You will need to fly below 400 AGL in the USA. Outside of the blue line you will find lots of helicopters, sea planes and general aviation operations and you will need to maintain good situational awareness. The best scenery is definitely in the direction of the water and outside of the Class B airspace, where you will be able to fly. My recommendation would be to avoid the Class B airspace and stay in the uncontrolled Class G airspace. In any event, you will need to keep an eye to the sky to be able to react quickly if you need to yield. Fly safe and smart, use good common sense, and welcome to Miami Florida and the USA.
as a semi pro with a YoYo, I can ALSO say that there is an enormous amount of air traffic there, and I have NEVER even been there.

@Rick W

Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

Like I said, I'm not going to fly above 100-150 feet, at what altitude do the helicopters usually fly?

I just want to get some shots of American Airlines Arena and the skyline, which means I'm also not going to fly in a large radius, maybe 150-200 feet away from the position that I'll be standing at. I'm not a risk taker when it comes to drone flying.

So if I'm staying in the Class G airspace, I wouldn't need to request an authorization?

Any other locations you could recommend for flying which are safe and not in Class B Airspace? I was thinking about South Pier Point at Miami Beach, have you ever been there?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR