DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational Liability Insurance - International

Rochambeaux

Reactions
I'm looking at a trip to the Darien jungle area of Panama in a few months. After researching the drone requirements, there's quite a few hoops you have to jump through just to fly recreationally. One of them is liability insurance. I've checked quotes with mutliple companies and the cheapest I could come up with is hundreds of dollars for just a week or so coverage.

Any suggestions/tips.

Thanks

What is your home country?

If you're just flying recreationally, the Academy of Model Aeronautics provides liability insurance for members. However, I don't know the details about whether this would still apply outside of the US. I'm a member of the British Model Flying Association and membership includes up to £25,000,000 of liability insurance which is valid for temporary visits to most countries worldwide (but sadly, excluding the USA and Canada).

If you're just flying recreationally, the Academy of Model Aeronautics provides liability insurance for members. However, I don't know the details about whether this would still apply outside of the US. I'm a member of the British Model Flying Association and membership includes up to £25,000,000 of liability insurance which is valid for temporary visits to most countries worldwide (but sadly, excluding the USA and Canada).

I checked with AMA and it's only good for the U.S., period. The 2 other "major" insurers I checked with don't provide international.

Beginning to think that Panama didn't really work through the reality behind their requirements. Either that or they want to totally ban recreational flying by visitors.

What type of drone do you have?

There's a summary of Panamanian drone regulations here:

RPA Micro: de 0 a 250 gramos de peso maximo certificado de despegue

It appears that if you have a micro RPA (see above - a drone with a maximum take-off weight of 250g), the registration process isn't necessary. Another good reason to have a Mini/Mini 2.

There's a summary of Panamanian drone regulations here:

RPA Micro: de 0 a 250 gramos de peso maximo certificado de despegue

It appears that if you have a micro RPA (see above - a drone with a maximum take-off weight of 250g), the registration process isn't necessary. Another good reason to have a Mini/Mini 2.
I've actually been in contact with the FAA equivalent coordinator for Panama. I was really hoping to avoid buying another drone but it might actually be cheaper to buy a new Mini as opposed to getting 10 days of international liability insurance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji