DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refurbished M2P first flight: appears problematic

Jondotgon

Reactions
I'm sending out an S.O.S. !

I've bought this drone the day before yesterday, through a DJI outlet and I made my first two flights with it today, - have just landed and its 8.30pm here, shops are shut so I can't phone the DJI shop now, but will be first thing tomorrow morning. Beforehand, I'm hoping to find whether these idiosyncrosies are normal, I sort of don't think they will be but am hoping someone can verify.

Compared to my M2Z there are several glaring issues, I've never flown another M2P but I imagine they and the M2Zoom should be identical

1) When hovering, the cameras field of view shown on my screen alters, it moves about I think the drone is not hovering steadily in the one place, moving backward and forward, and side to side a lot. It was 300ft away against a darker background, so I couldn't see visually how much it was moving. There was a wind blowing at about 15mph, I have flown my other Mavic 2 in stronger winds and it is rock steady in comparison.

2) Really glitchy video transmission of the image to my screen. As I fly the screen freezes momentarily and by the time it catches up the drone has moved on 20m. It does this continually. This is in clear line of sight and is the same whether 60m away or whether 400m away. I have never had that with my M2Z.

3) When return to home was selected it tried to land about 10m away, which was inconvenient as it was coming down to try and land on my roof! Which is a steep pitch so I had to stop that carry on when it was getting closer and wasn't correcting itself. I always take off from a cross formed by large concrete pavers and the M2Z always returns to that same when it leaves from there.

I updated the firmware two nights ago, the day I bought it. This it made me do while I were activating it.

I rushed out and bought it as my M2Z is in for repair and I have and event to get some footage from tomorrow evening. Think I've got a dud, very frustrating.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone, say with the latest update?

not an M2P owner but as a new drone (especially if it has been used before) it could use a proper calibration of everything before first takeoff - IMU, Compass, RC and perhaps the camera gimbal too. It doesn't look like it but it can be miscalibrated because of transportation or for any other reason.

Reactions: Jondotgon
not an M2P owner but as a new drone (especially if it has been used before) it could use a proper calibration of everything before first takeoff - IMU, Compass, RC and perhaps the camera gimbal too. It doesn't look like it but it can be miscalibrated because of transportation or for any other reason.
Current M2P owner, I have never experienced those issues with mine but I would definitely follow the above advise or just return it for another M2P.

Thanks, good thought. I only calibrated the compass.
I have exsperianced these issuse when I bought my refurb P4 a couple years ago. Like the first poster suggested, I completely recalibrated everything and the problems disappeared. These drones get tossed around in warehouses and banged around in shipping. A fresh cal is a MUST!

All above worth considering...
Just a note. The drone position may drift around a bit normally, but video feed should appear steady as a rock.

Thanks for the responses, I've been out from first light and been seeing improvements, return to home has been spot on for all three flights, from various distances away. The video feed is not as glitchy - however it still is glitchy: image onscreen still freezes momentarily but less often, plus other times it breaks up and goes to like a 1/2 megapixel picture, - with the added attraction of having thick shadow lines moving left to right across the screen. So more testing today, without the CrystalSky on.

The glitchiness in the display went. There was something I think I found in the menu, but it was over a year ago now and I can't recall what it was. I haven't used it much, hardly at all since I had the zoom repaired (needed camera replacement). I did put the M2 Pro up a couple of months ago and mid flight it stopped responding to controls properly, but thankfully rather than buzzing off uncintrollably on its own adventure, it just would hardly move. Like one foot in 10 seconds or so. Much slower than in tripod mode. I think a fault with the vision sensors perhaps. It hasn't been out of its box since. I must look up how to recalibrate everything. Just on that, the zoom now doesn't hover in place when you let the controls go! It drifts away to the left for a short while everytime I let go the controls after making an adjustment to its position. I expect that is some form of calibration issue, but haven't looked to see how to address it, as it hasn't been a major for me. Not sure what I have to do to set it right, but will have a read up at some stage soon to see if I can sort it. Darn things!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000