DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registering my drone with the FAA questions

GoBigGuy

Reactions
Hello All,

I picked up my first drone last night, (Mavic Pro), and want to fly today and to my understanding I need to register with the FAA.

I went to their site: FAADroneZone but I'm not sure if I need to register under Part 107 or Section 336?

I think it's 336 but wanted confirmation.

Thanks!

Reactions: WHAT IT DO?
You should register under 336 if you're flying as a hobbyist. Your FAA registration number can be attached to all of your drones.

Reactions: WHAT IT DO?
I registered mine under section 107, which I believed was for recreational flying. Did I register it correctly? Section 336 seems to say it’s for aero- club flying

Nope...107 is Commercial flying. Each drone has it's own number. 336 is recreational and you share your single number across all your drones. You can register for both, like I did.

Nope...107 is Commercial flying. Each drone has it's own number. 336 is recreational and you share your single number across all your drones. You can register for both, like I did.
Ok, thanks for your answer, I guess I’ll need to register for 336. Guess I should have asked before

you need to de-register your 107 number, and re-file as 336

This is why others and myself immediately just went with 107. This is first thing you see on that site on mobile.
The first sentence says "recreational". Is this written like this on purpose to trick you to get 107 over 336 ?

I know @msinger said I'm fine with 107 and I don't need to change but just curious

Attachments

• ED374356-17A4-4A93-8C0F-00C87B301CAD.jpeg
    ED374356-17A4-4A93-8C0F-00C87B301CAD.jpeg
    993.8 KB · Views: 39
Unless you are a 107 sUAV licensed airman, or flying under the direct supervision of a person that holds a 107 cert, you can not use a 107 registered drone for 336 use. Once you are 107, you do not have the option of going back and forth it is one or the other IMHO.

None of this matters until the SHTF, something goes wrong and they recover your bird inside a helicopters engine and come looking for the registered owner.

The aviation community is self policed, it is not until something goes wrong that you ever hear from the FAA.

Unless you are a 107 sUAV licensed airman, or flying under the direct supervision of a person that holds a 107 cert, you can not use a 107 registered drone for 336 use.
Got a link with more information about this (hopefully from a reputable source like the FAA's website)?

Reactions: MavicNoob79
Got a link with more information about this (hopefully from a reputable source like the FAA's website)?
Yeah because the short bit of info even in the screenshot I posted literally says "for recreational, commercial
I just emailed the FAA. I want some clarification

Unless you are a 107 sUAV licensed airman, or flying under the direct supervision of a person that holds a 107 cert, you can not use a 107 registered drone for 336 use. Once you are 107, you do not have the option of going back and forth it is one or the other IMHO.
Actually, this is incorrect.

None of this matters until the SHTF, something goes wrong and they recover your bird inside a helicopters engine and come looking for the registered owner.

The aviation community is self policed, it is not until something goes wrong that you ever hear from the FAA.
Hi, I emailed the FCC about this, they emailed me back saying I was fine to fly under 107, but that was only for the drone I registered, and no other

Your sUAV may be registered as a Part 107 aircraft, but you do not hold an Airman's Certificate, and without that you are limited to hobbyist operations and limitations.

If anyone could just log on to the FAA website and register there sUAV as a 107 aircraft, then operate as a part 107 pilot,what would be the purpose of the test?
IMG_20170828_170714430 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: ToddR
Your sUAV may be registered as a Part 107 aircraft, but you do not hold an Airman's Certificate, and without that you are limited to hobbyist operations and limitations.

If anyone could just log on to the FAA website and register there sUAV as a 107 aircraft, then operate as a part 107 pilot,what would be the purpose of the test?
View attachment 36229
@ neggy, being that I’m new and don’t know my *** from a hole in the ground, what would you suggest? My only intent for the the drone is recreational, I’ll never race or do any professional photography, so what does an airman’s certificate do for me? I’m sincerely wondering, not being argumentative or anything :)

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiefl2006