DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registering with the FAA 107 or special rules

TexasRancher

Reactions
Okay, so I was looking at the whole "Registering with the FAA" thing. I hear it is "the law" and such, but I honestly think the Mavic Pro qualifies as a special rules, not the 107, since I do not plan to ever fly this for commercial reasons.

What are the thoughts on the whole registration thing? I mean.. don't care if they know where I live, they already know that.. lol

5 bucks for 3 years is nothing, so.. just wanted to get the right one.

Thanks!

Russ

Reactions: Bogey
What are the thoughts on the whole registration thing?
Before flying a Mavic in the US, you must register with the FAA here and attach your FAA registration number to your Mavic (see more details here). There are no exceptions (even for hobbyists).

Reactions: AIRJORGE
Why would you go through the hassle of doing the 107 if you're never going to fly commercially?

Singer.. heh.. God bless you for being active and replying.. heh.. but I am not talking about the certification 107.

When you create an account on the FAA site, you have TWO dashboards. Each one will allow you to pay $5 and register your UAS. One is the 107 and the other is Section 336 or the RC with "Special rules".

Even as a hobbyist, either one would qualify, so long as you are under 55lbs.

The question would be, is there any benefit or handicap with one or the other, i.e. if you look at the rules of the 107, you must fly under 400ft. for the RC, you must 'obey the club safety rules'.

Just paraphrasing, but I wanted to see who else has looked at each set of guidelines and what swayed your decision to go one vs the other?

Thanks bud.

Russ

No need to utilize the Commercial Registration if you do not ever intend to fly using Part 107. There is no benefit to going that route.

The benefit of registering as a hobbyist is that if you purchase a new UAS it will get the same Reg# because you are registering YOU as a hobbyist. Under Commercial Registration each aircraft is registered and each get it's own unique FAA Reg #.

Singer.. heh.. God bless you for being active and replying.. heh.. but I am not talking about the certification 107.

When you create an account on the FAA site, you have TWO dashboards. Each one will allow you to pay $5 and register your UAS. One is the 107 and the other is Section 336 or the RC with "Special rules".

The question would be, is there any benefit or handicap with one or the other, i.e. if you look at the rules of the 107, you must fly under 400ft. for the RC, you must 'obey the club safety rules'.

Just paraphrasing, but I wanted to see who else has looked at each set of guidelines and what swayed your decision to go one vs the other?

Thanks bud.

Russ
336 was created for model aircraft clubs (as I recall). One advantage is it makes it easier for them to register home-build airplanes and helicopters which may not be RTF out of the box. [ Think: EAA for toy planes :) ] If you follow the links under 336, I think it will take you to the same registration pages as the 107 UAS. Also, some of the verbiage of 336 refers to model aircraft clubs. Seems more restrictive. My opinion is stay with the part 107 as it points more on our hobby. Result is the same. $5 for registration and a number. [EDIT: I seem to recall that under 336 you had to get a different # for each aircraft. With 107 you use the same number for all your UA's]

No need to utilize the Commercial Registration if you do not ever intend to fly using Part 107. There is no benefit to going that route.

The benefit of registering as a hobbyist is that if you purchase a new UAS it will get the same Reg# because you are registering YOU as a hobbyist. Under Commercial Registration each aircraft is registered and each get it's own unique FAA Reg #.

Aaaahh ok, there ya go. Thanks a ton. That makes total sense. I was clicking around in the dashboards and noticed a difference, just wanted to make sure I was understanding it right and that I did qualify for the 336.

Thank you all!

Russ

336 was created for model aircraft clubs (as I recall). One advantage is it makes it easier for them to register home-build airplanes and helicopters which may not be RTF out of the box. [ Think: EAA for toy planes :) ] If you follow the links under 336, I think it will take you to the same registration pages as the 107 UAS. Also, some of the verbiage of 336 refers to model aircraft clubs. Seems more restrictive. My opinion is stay with the part 107 as it points more on our hobby. Result is the same. $5 for registration and a number. [EDIT: I seem to recall that under 336 you had to get a different # for each aircraft. With 107 you use the same number for all your UA's]

Hrm, you too bring up some good thoughts.

I will look deeper.

Russ

It's a little more complicated than just choosing 107 when registering. You'll also need to get your Remote Pilot Certificate (the "certification 107"). If interested, the FAA has detailed information on their website here.

And, God bless you for participating here. We're glad to have you here :)

Reactions: mavin
Ya know, may be worth doing the 107. If I ever decide to take money for it.. lord knows I do not want to.. heh.. then I will already have been registered.

I have looked at the cert, and the only reason I would do it atm is to learn more and to learn safety better... but, keep your options open, right?

Will read up more and see what works best.
Thanks!

Russ

You pretty much got that last part backwards.

Hobby/336 same # for all non Commercial UAS
Commercial unique # for each aircraft ($5 ea)

There is NO reason to not go the hobby route unless you just want to waste your $$ and time adding serial # etc.

Ya know, may be worth doing the 107. If I ever decide to take money for it.. lord knows I do not want to.. heh.. then I will already have been registered.

I have looked at the cert, and the only reason I would do it atm is to learn more and to learn safety better... but, keep your options open, right?

Will read up more and see what works best.
Thanks!

Russ

As a Part 107 holder your are not bound to "always" fly under Part 107 regulations. At the time of flight you determine what your INTENT is for the flight and you follow that set of rules for the duration of the flight. You can not mix & match rules during the flight.

It's a MYTH that Part 107 holders can not fly as a hobbyist.

To add to this discussion:

Hobby Registered aircraft can NOT be flown Commercially
Commercially registered aircraft CAN be flown Commercially or under Hobby flights.

Reactions: Flycaster
You beat me to the punch BigA. I was just about to put all that in. Reason being is when I first registered almost a year ago now, I did it as a hobbyist because I thought I would always just fly for fun. But now after a year I have seen the light and am looking at getting my 107 certificate and so when that happens, I need to change my registration type for my aircraft.

All registered. Did not see a benefit to doing 336, but did see one, whether I used it or not, to doing 107. So, registered as 107, and yes, drone is marked ;)

Thanks all!

Russ

As a visitor what are the requirements, do we have to register with FAA i want to fly in Florida in febuary

As a visitor what are the requirements, do we have to register with FAA i want to fly in Florida in febuary
Per this FAQ on the FAA's website:

"If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you may complete the process provided in the web-based registration portal for section 336 aircraft. The agency will consider the certificate that is issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration. These conditions are consistent with and impose no greater burden than the requirements imposed on U.S. citizens conducting model aircraft operations in the U.S.

Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS for commercial purposes, you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

For more information and guidance regarding authorities for non-U.S. citizens, please contact the Department's Foreign Air Carrier Licensing Division."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929