DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registration in Florida - New Drone Pilot

swright

Reactions
Hi everyone. Just made an account here, and my Mavic Pro is coming today.
I was just wondering if there was anyone from Florida who has gone through the registration process and can walk me through it before I fly my drone; I do not want any trouble with law enforcement.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi everyone. Just made an account here, and my Mavic Pro is coming today.
I was just wondering if there was anyone from Florida who has gone through the registration process and can walk me through it before I fly my drone; I do not want any trouble with law enforcement.
Howdy from Wyoming swright, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: swright
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

There is currently no required registration process if you're only flying as a hobbyist. The FAA registration linked above is optional.

The FAA registration? It's no longer mandatory, it's voluntary.

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses.

I went ahead with the FAA registration, and I understand the regulations they have placed for recreational use.
They mostly emphasize avoiding public places where many people are present - but is also illegal to fly over private property (like in my neighborhood)?
I am 19 years old, and I know that it is all based upon my discretion as a pilot, but at the same time, I do not want to cause false alarm.

You can find a list of laws you need to follow here. It would be a good idea to follow these guidelines too.

Reactions: swright
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum and the Addiction :)

Safe flights :)

Reactions: dirkclod
I went ahead with the FAA registration, and I understand the regulations they have placed for recreational use.
They mostly emphasize avoiding public places where many people are present - but is also illegal to fly over private property (like in my neighborhood)?
I am 19 years old, and I know that it is all based upon my discretion as a pilot, but at the same time, I do not want to cause false alarm.

That is not really correct. What you want to review is Section 336. To make this easy, just search for "FAA Section 336" and Google should give you a link to that section. If you are flying for hobby use, you need to follow those rules (notify the airport owner and tower when flying within 5 miles of the airport, fly within visual line of sight, etc). You also need to follow the FAA's safety guidelines (which you mention some of), don't fly over groups of people, etc. I don't know of any mention that says it's illegal to fly over private property. If it were, 99.999% of the people on this form would be flying illegally. Of course, you want to acoid flying very low over homes and occupied property and avoid hovering over the same but there is no law specifically against that (well, legal law). You also want to avoid being a jerk. Ok, I made that last one up.

Yes...to fly a drone you need to know and do more then is probably required to operate a 2000lbs vehicle on public roads.

Reactions: BigAl07 and swright
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S