DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Release Device For Mavic

MrMavic

Reactions
Just curious if anyone here has experimented with any sort of release device for light weight items. For instance, dropping off a set of keys to my stupid brother who went to open a gate on the end of our property and forgot to take the keys. You have to drive down a steep hill to get to the gate, and no way to come back up the hill with snow on it. It's a long walk in deep snow. You can get out the other end of the road, and back on the road to the house if you open the gate. Also, I don't want to actually land at the gate because it's below line of sight from the house. So my idea was to just drop the keys with a red tag right at his feet by the gate. I have flown far beyond this gate, so distance here is irrelevant.

Reactions: Former Member
For not alot of coin there are really basic solutions like this one.

Kinda of a simple hook device that keeps the item hooked until the drone is tilted to one side. Might be tough to maneuver the Mavic to drop the item though. Would require practice to determine if this solution would work.

Drone Hook Release and Drop, Payload Delivery device for Drones | eBay

Reactions: MrMavic
Great idea.
Thanks Rob. I haven't considered how to remotely do the release, but there are probably several ways to do it through certain drone quick maneuvers, or possibly by radio signal which would cost more.

Reactions: samkar
Since the Mavic is a GPS stabilized drone then it may not be able to pitch its body enough to shrug off the item connected to the drone hook that I posted a link to above. Heck, now that I think about it a coat hanger bent in the right configuration should be capable of doing what you want to do.

Turning off Downward Vision sensors would be a must. Plus you could create a waypoint mission by flying to the location and marking the waypoint with the C1 button on the bottom of the remote. So just launch the saved waypoint mission and have it fly its preset course.

Since the Mavic is a GPS stabilized drone then it may not be able to pitch its body enough to shrug off the item connected to the drone hook that I posted a link to above. Heck, now that I think about it a coat hanger bent in the right configuration should be capable of doing what you want to do.

Turning off Downward Vision sensors would be a must. Plus you could create a waypoint mission by flying to the location and marking the waypoint with the C1 button on the bottom of the remote. So just launch the saved waypoint mission and have it fly its preset course.
From what I can tell from this picture of the Stork Hook, you wouldn't have to tilt the Mavic, but just do a quick decent of a few inches to release the spring weight. Unless I'm reading this wrong, I think this might work, but may have to experiment with how much weight it takes to depress the spring.
s-l1600.jpg

Here is a simple drop mechanism ideally suited for your needs
droprelease.jpg
Just hook your key with an oval keyring into the device attached to the rear of the Mavic.
Above the drop zone roll your Mavic left/right/left/right and the keyring disengages and falls to the ground.

For those having a 3D printer available, here the Link

(Note: not my design)

Reactions: ScubaBob
Here is a simple drop mechanism ideally suited for your needs
View attachment 57975
Just hook your key with an oval keyring into the device attached to the rear of the Mavic.
Above the drop zone roll your Mavic left/right/left/right and the keyring disengages and falls to the ground.

For those having a 3D printer available, here the Link

(Note: not my design)
Hmmm, that's a fairly ingenious idea. I could even make one with my plunge router and a piece of plastic. It might work as long as the wind wasn't shifting it around too much, and drop the keys no telling where. Lots of woods between here and the gate. Better make some extra keys just in case. I have been thinking about getting a printer too.

and drop the keys no telling where
You might add a little (bright in color) parachute and/or a tracker to the keys in case of a false release

You might add a little (bright in color) parachute and/or a tracker to the keys in case of a false release
Great idea. I even thought about adding my extra mini locator for more costly items I might deliver. This might be fun to deliver a fresh sandwich for lunch to my brother who's logging across the river in an area that's only 400 yards from my house, but 12 miles by road.

Thanks Rob. I haven't considered how to remotely do the release, but there are probably several ways to do it through certain drone quick maneuvers, or possibly by radio signal which would cost more.
I saw an LED setup on some propeller guards that used the front LEDs as the switching mechanism. Basically they had a sensor right in front of the built in LED and when you turned them off or on they turned on the guards' LEDs. You could put a light sensor on your LED and hook it up to a release relay.

I saw an LED setup on some propeller guards that used the front LEDs as the switching mechanism. Basically they had a sensor right in front of the built in LED and when you turned them off or on they turned on the guards' LEDs. You could put a light sensor on your LED and hook it up to a release relay.
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks

Want me to print you one? Remember that the Mavic has a max cargo load of 1.8 lbs. A sandwich would probably be fine unless you add chips and a drink! LOL :)

Reactions: WAXMAN
Want me to print you one? Remember that the Mavic has a max cargo load of 1.8 lbs. A sandwich would probably be fine unless you add chips and a drink! LOL :)
No beer? LOL No, I would probably try and keep the load way down, 1/2 # or less for safety. I would love it if you could print me one. How much?

Maybe I should start looking at printers. I'm open for suggestions on that.

Just cover shipping costs. What exact design? There are some versions of that object. Version 1 -4 .
What color>?
Black , Blue with sparkles, Medium grey, Flourescent Orange. Flourescent Green , White, Copper, Natural (skin tone), Red

Creality CR10 all the way! Huge print volume! Almost totally assembled when shipped. Lots of add on printable goodies that can be made. Large community of support. I have created some add ons myself for that model. LED Light holders

I converted mine to an all-in-one so no external control box is used any more. I also added a Raspberry Pi to run Octoprint wirelessly. So that removed the need to copy a print file to a micro SD card on the computer and then hand transfer it to the control box for the printer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS