DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID options -- DroneID .. Why?

Firejay27

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Remote ID becomes mandatory in September so I've been looking around as I have an origional MA and a MA2S. I haven't found many options out there yet but one name keeps coming up every time I look. DroneID.

Several things bother me about this solution and I'm wondering how many others are going to go the same way. It does seem to be more taylored to the larger drone Part 107 uses vs the one man Part 107 show or recreational flyer.

- Price $299 for the module (OUCH!!!)
- Sends data to private DroneID cloud which is then potentially sent to other third party air traffic providers.
- Uses cellular connection to provide above service (additioal cellular bill required??)
- Sends information via Bluetooth as well as broadcast information.

None of what the company is doing is actually required by the FAA and the drone only needs to broadcast it's information locally. Sending information to a cloud service and potentially making that accessable to anyone with the app no matter how far away they are from you seems a bit crazy to me.

Anyone found any other solutions as of yet that are currently in testing phases or have announced products coming? Seems like a simply $30 broadcast module would all that is needed to comply.

Remote ID becomes mandatory in September so I've been looking around as I have an origional MA and a MA2S
Are you aware that your Air 2S will have native RID with recent firmware? I’ve been broadcasting RID for a couple months without incident.

Like @mobilehomer I suspect we will see some competition for broadcast modules in June and July.

Remote ID becomes mandatory in September so I've been looking around as I have an origional MA and a MA2S. I haven't found many options out there yet but one name keeps coming up every time I look. DroneID.

Several things bother me about this solution and I'm wondering how many others are going to go the same way. It does seem to be more taylored to the larger drone Part 107 uses vs the one man Part 107 show or recreational flyer.

- Sends data to private DroneID cloud which is then potentially sent to other third party air traffic providers.
- Uses cellular connection to provide above service (additioal cellular bill required??)

None of what the company is doing is actually required by the FAA and the drone only needs to broadcast it's information locally. Sending information to a cloud service and potentially making that accessable to anyone with the app no matter how far away they are from you seems a bit crazy to me.

Anyone found any other solutions as of yet that are currently in testing phases or have announced products coming? Seems like a simply $30 broadcast module would all that is needed to comply.
Your air2S is already RID compliant. But also think of this, the September 16 date is basically tentative. FAA may, or may not, extend that date to work on details. So, I wouldn't do anything until September anyway

But also think of this, the September 16 date is basically tentative
True. It seems they've pushed more dates than they've met so far.

Reactions: 15PSI
Yes I'm aware that the A2S is already RID compliant but I have two of the origional MA and 8 batteries so getting a module will be mandatory even if just flying recreationaly with those. $300 though is nuts though.

The purpose of the origional post though was basically stating that DroneID is the first to come out with a product but they've added so much "nonsense" to their product that I wonder how many others will follow the same way. I wonder why DroneID even added cloud services to their module other than the fact that they are tayloring their product to fleet managment and large Part 107 operations.

Maybe as September there will be "cheap" modules that do just what is required for compliance. Then again.. will they even be able to be profitable as the market will really only be for legacy drones and those will dry up pretty quickly as people upgrade. Will we even see other modules being made when the market will dry up?

I would hope the RID modules that come out in the future are smaller in size. The ones that I have seen are pretty large so far. Or they appear to be large in size. Putting these on a mini would weigh them down nicely. I am glad I have a Air2S that has RID built into it. But my Mini 2 doesn't, at least for now. My Phantom 4 Pro doesn't either and I don't anticipate it will either. So like I said I hope they make these on the smaller size and make these cheaper in price. The price of $300 is a little expensive right now.

I would hope the RID modules that come out in the future are smaller in size. The ones that I have seen are pretty large so far. Or they appear to be large in size. Putting these on a mini would weigh them down nicely. I am glad I have a Air2S that has RID built into it. But my Mini 2 doesn't, at least for now. My Phantom 4 Pro doesn't either and I don't anticipate it will either. So like I said I hope they make these on the smaller size and make these cheaper in price. The price of $300 is a little expensive right now.
I don't think they need to be transmitting more than 200-300 yards if that. They don't need miles. I don't remember seeing anything that stipulated a massive distance (I could be wrong) I also don't want the date being saved in their cloud. I don't mind a Bluetooth signal which would be good for 50-100yards and not miles

I also don't want the date being saved in their cloud. I don't mind a Bluetooth signal which would be good for 50-100yards and not miles
It's likely not going to be the transmitter that's the issue. A receiver could potentially pick up RID signals from miles away. And once that data is received, the receiver could do whatever it wants with the data (e.g. save it to the cloud).

Most likely a network module, which is still required in other countries. They are building these modules to suit legislation in multiple countries. Most of them are not manufactured or even available directly in the states. So another one of those problems as to the adoption of remote ID, like they are doing that on purpose. To make it difficult to comply or other underhanded means.

Following

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme