DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID

Daytona500

Reactions
I have a Mavic Air, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have Remote ID or way to update the firmware/software , So I guess I need a remote ID Module but haven't been able to find were I can get one. Does anyone know where to buy them?

Remote ID is a 2023 issue so lots of time to worry about it later. That information will be released in the next few months so manufacturers can get them to market.

Reactions: AK4FD
It would be nice to have a "ballpark price" on what these Broadcast Modules will cost. I can imagine the "add on" functionality would cost much more than the "built in" functionality, if for no other reason than the interface/integration electronics required to mate it with a drone.

My MP1 has a setting on the app called "Remote Identification", but doesn't have any serial number listed, just a section for "Unique Name" (I'm guessing that's the nickname I gave it when I registered it) and another identifier that I can't access. Could this be my drone's version of (for lack of the correct term) a "pre-RID" and that it has RID, but just won't get 'activated' till the FAA allows it and would be a FW update via DJI?

My MP1 has a setting on the app called "Remote Identification", but doesn't have any serial number listed, just a section for "Unique Name" (I'm guessing that's the nickname I gave it when I registered it) and another identifier that I can't access. Could this be my drone's version of (for lack of the correct term) a "pre-RID" and that it has RID, but just won't get 'activated' till the FAA allows it and would be a FW update via DJI?
It is not the same thing,as my air 2 has the same thing.

We're just about 3 months away from when drone manufacturers like DJI have to start making drones with built-in Remote Identification - broadcasting information and interlocking with the controls to prevent takeoff if not broadcasting the information. Sept 16 2022 is the date they have to submit certification of compliance to the FAA.

Have there been any hints from DJI if they're going to be able to bring existing drones into compliance via a firmware/software update?

I have a Air 2 bought in Aug 2020. I know I don't have to comply with RID until Sept 2023... I'm expecting that I'll just be buying the Air 3 when it comes out next year and has FAA compliant RID module built into it.

So, if I fly my year old A2S after Sep 15 2023, I'll be flying illegally?
Yes if its not meeting the FAA rule on broadcasting drone and operator/pilot location either directly from the drone's systems or from a RID module attached to it...

Reactions: rx7ward
Yes if its not meeting the FAA rule on broadcasting drone and operator/pilot location either directly from the drone's systems or from a RID module attached to it...

I guess whatever DJI decides to do better be very inexpensive then, or I'll be a criminal, and likely be considered a domestic terrorist.

I guess whatever DJI decides to do better be very inexpensive then, or I'll be a criminal, and likely be considered a domestic terrorist.
It will be very interesting to see how RID is enforced, especially by local law enforcement - if any. I'm assuming that once this rule is in full effect after Sept 2023 app developers will be putting RID reader apps out for use on cellphones and tablets. Probably for free with ads like a lot of apps do to generate revenue for the developers.

So in a scenario where say local police get complaints from the public about a drone buzzing their neighborhood and the responding officers have an RID reader on their iPhone but the drone is not broadcasting any RID information. However they are successful in locating the operator/pilot and talk to the person getting their identification and contact information. Would they be able to turn this information over to the FAA for followup action or could they even be empowered by the FAA rule to confiscate the drone for violating federal law and deeming it a safety hazard.

I know that if a person was flying a real fixed wing airplane without a license and unsafely, the moment they landed at an airport local police would be taking them into custody. So there is some ability for local police to enforce FAA rules.

I know that if a person was flying a real fixed wing airplane without a license and unsafely, the moment they landed at an airport local police would be taking them into custody. So there is some ability for local police to enforce FAA rules.
Keep in mind the difference in risk to the public with a manned, fixed-wing plane vs. a Mavic 3 Pro (for example).

Following all sorts of legal precedent, statute law, and indeed the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution, these two scenarios must be treated very differently in the US.

The latter is likely to get a citation and have the aircraft confiscated, then fined modestly later at the hearing.

That guy in the plane will probably spend time in jail and a big fine, then on probation, and enjoy a felony conviction on his record.

Keep in mind the difference in risk to the public with a manned, fixed-wing plane vs. a Mavic 3 Pro (for example).

Following all sorts of legal precedent, statute law, and indeed the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution, these two scenarios must be treated very differently in the US.

The latter is likely to get a citation and have the aircraft confiscated, then fined modestly later at the hearing.

That guy in the plane will probably spend time in jail and a big fine, then on probation, and enjoy a felony conviction on his record.
I understand and agree with you. My curiosity is more along the lines of who is going to be allowed to enforce RID at the local level. I actually hope it will be local law enforcement, and that it acts as a deterrent to stupid drone operators.

For example, recently on my home owner association for my community someone posted a complaint about a drone flying over the community at night and looking into windows of houses. Drones are already prohibited in this 20 acre gated community. My house is right next to the fence line and if I takeoff from my back deck within seconds I'm out of the community and over huge empty field - but now I've stopped doing this out of concern that someone will spot my drone returning home and report me to the HOA board as the peeping tom. With RID fully implemented after Sept 2023 I'd hope the concerned homeowner would be able to report the snooping drone to local police and they would try to find the operator. If the drone isn't squawking RID and they do find the person I'd hope there would be even bigger consequences for them.

I know one thing, if the locals in my area are allowed to enforce RID, I have nothing to worry about. I could be wrong, they may deem flying my drone in my yard more dangerous than the local human life driving their uninsured autos 80 MPH in a 35, and they never stop them, of course they would have to do patrols in the area.

Well this kinda bites I hope it will be a software/firmware update.

Not sure where I could put it on the drone If I have to get the External Remote ID thing if any.

I just brought the Air 2S on the 10th of June 2022. Don't wanna have to by a new drone,can't afford to 😔.

Reactions: Hidden
I think a lot of information at this point is speculative... as to cost and actual modules.
A few weeks ago I was researching the topic, can't find the link this morning...
but one company in the Czech Republic was starting to make on... at least an affordable one.
But I think that was still speculative. And it sort of scared me buying from east Europe company.

Anyway... in the below article there is mentioned a module of the cost being $20-$30 and 5-7 grams...
but I imagine that's still speculative....

In the below listed article it mentions actual FAA rules on the modules... it seems the FAA has been changing it's rulings
so some manufactures may be waiting on production because of the fickle FAA.

I suggest you read the full article... I'll just past a quick note on the modules requirements...
dated: September 2021
---------------
  • Remote ID will be a local broadcast over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, the need for a network/internet transmission has been removed!
  • There are three ways to comply: Standard Remote ID in the aircraft, a Remote ID Broadcast Module, or operations within a FAA pre-approved flight area
  • Drones must self-test, and will not be able to take-off if the Remote ID is not functioning "
---------------------

Well... I got my drone in January... knowing nothing about a lot of the restrictions.
Except the weight over 250 grams and the basics...
I wanted the Air 2S for the better camera and the ability to fly in stronger winds.
Capping off at the price point... and physical size of the drone.

I am hoping that the module that we will need to add will be fairly inexpensive and that
the operating systems currently installed on our drones the firmware can be compatible.

Last edited:
Well this kinda bites I hope it will be a software/firmware update.

Not sure where I could put it on the drone If I have to get the External Remote ID thing if any.

I just brought the Air 2S on the 10th of June 2022. Don't wanna have to by a new drone,can't afford to 😔.
I think a lot of information at this point is speculative... as to cost and actual modules.
A few weeks ago I was researching the topic, can't find the link this morning...
but one company in the Czech Republic was starting to make on... at least an affordable one.
But I think that was still speculative. And it sort of scared me buying from east Europe company.

Anyway... in the below article there is mentioned a module of the cost being $20-$30 and 5-7 grams...

In the below listed article it mentions actual FAA rules on the modules... it seems the FAA has been changing it's rulings

I suggest you read the full article... I'll just past a quick note on the modules requirements...
---------------
  • Remote ID will be a local broadcast over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, the need for a network/internet transmission has been removed!
  • There are three ways to comply: Standard Remote ID in the aircraft, a Remote ID Broadcast Module, or operations within a FAA pre-approved flight area
  • Drones must self-test, and will not be able to take-off if the Remote ID is not functioning "
---------------------

Well... I got my drone in January... knowing nothing about a lot of the restrictions.
I wanted the Air 2S for the better camera and the ability to fly in stronger winds.

I am hoping that the module that we will need to add will be fairly inexpensive and that
the operating systems currently installed on our drones the firmware can be compatible.
I sure don't want to spend any more money! Living on disability with the current economy is insane. I don't even want to drive to the grocery store of choice, it would be nearly two gallons of gas for round trip.
Why not just make it software in the app, requiring a connection to the net/gps? If they know where the phone is, they know where to capture you, even if you go home. Maybe, I am missing something since I am a not a professional drone operator.

---------------
---------------------

Man that sucks,if ya don't have the module you can't fly 😔 seriously?

So just curious is this module and the other FAA tighter rules because of those idiots that like useing a drone for crime,flying along side planes,flying near the white house,dropping m80's from the drone,etc.,etc.? They pretty much are ruining it for us law abiding drone pilots 😞.

I just hope and pray they never force ya to take the Part 107 as a requirement before your aloud to fly at all. Like a Cessna Pilot that needs a Pilot License. The Part 107 stuff looks hard 😔 and to me it seems a little expensive 😔.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it... I'm sure it will sort out.

20 years ago I flew RC helicopters... some as big as six foot rotor diameter.
No gps... stabilization... etc etc etc as were the planes at the time.

Technology has evolved that flying is so easy entrance into the market has
easily expanded.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) has been around for a long time...
Which is what we all joined back in those days... and represented us for flying
model airplanes and helicopters and the spokesperson for opening up flying
fields and regulations to adhere our flying.

I don't think we as drone fliers have something specific for us..
but we do fall under their umbrella.

I haven't research it, but I "feel" that model airplanes and helicopters will
be under the same scrutiny that us drone fliers are experiencing with the FAA.

As the model aircraft and drones have evolved...
The FAA 107 requirement is good..... BUT a knee-jerk reaction to the evolution
and should be also transpired into another category.

Good for example....
The FAA 107 basically is about commercial operations....s
well... yes there is more... but let me explain.
An accident on a highway or town.... police helicopters and local TV
helicopters are deployed... aka O.J. Simpson.... we have seen it the air vids.
And then the pavarotti send out 100 drones in the airspace... crazy....
The airspace can't be like that.

BAD FAA 107...
the commercial aspect....
We watch dozens and dozens of Youtubes to learn out about and solve problems.
But did you know that if you earn any money from flying from your videos you fall under
FAA 107 commercial restrictions.

Here is an example of how crazy the FAA 107 commercial aspect is..
And somebody just making pennies from YouTube...

Well... somebody ratted them out...
They were contacted by the FAA... had nice conversations with them...
but instructed while they only made pennies from the YouTube they
were in violation of the FAA 107. And I am not talking pennies of violation...

So.... I hope... and the FAA... realize that there is an interim between what is recreational that
most of adhere to the strict FAA 107 commercial aspect.

Sure... chasing down O.J. and maybe inspecting a 300 foot solar panel on a roof in the city...

But for a home inspector... a real estate agency flying low... informational YouTubes....

FAA 107 are you NUTS......

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S