DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID

Reactions: GFields

7 DJI Models that will come out September now compliant.

Older DJI Drones will be made compliant via new firmware before September 2023.

I hope this firmware is not compulsory to drones not covered by FAA regulations. I live in the Philippines and here, only drones 7 kg upwards needs registration.

I imagine it will be a firmware update to activate it once the FAA or other govs start to require it.

I was wondering, since the DJI Controllers, RC and RC Pro have no internet connection natively how would remote ID be required of them?

I was wondering, since the DJI Controllers, RC and RC Pro have no internet connection natively how would remote ID be required of them?
The controllers wouldn't need it, but it would be broadcast from the quad itself. Maybe the RC doesn't have GPS, but the requirement for network RID was removed since internet isn't available everywhere. It might have to get the controllers GPS from the mobile device connected to it.

The controllers wouldn't need it, but it would be broadcast from the quad itself. Maybe the RC doesn't have GPS, but the requirement for network RID was removed since internet isn't available everywhere. It might have to get the controllers GPS from the mobile device connected to it.
I doubt this. The phone is not required to be used with the drone. Also not all mobile devices have gps that are compatible. I imagine the drone uses its best guess on where the operator is and just sends that maybe.

I doubt this. The phone is not required to be used with the drone. Also not all mobile devices have gps that are compatible. I imagine the drone uses its best guess on where the operator is and just sends that maybe.
Or it just uses the home point.

Hubsan's app has coordinate readout of the quad and the mobile controller/phone, but not sure about their function on RID. Seems they are one of the no nfz and no rid crowd. Of course sub250g doesn't require rid.

Last edited:
Reactions: karlblessing
Or it just uses the home point.

Hubsan's app has coordinate readout of the quad and the mobile controller/phone, but not sure about their function on RID. Seems they are one of the no nfz and no rid crowd. Of course sub250g doesn't require rid.
That would be my guess depending on how they wish to implement it.

I imagine it could also calculate the location since the drone itself knows where it is at, and the app (if GPS is turned on the phone) would know where it is in relations to the drone, hence the map assistance. Turn off the phone's location, and the main thing it's still going to remember on it's own is the home point (which can be updated via the app).

...or weigh less than 250g and are used for recreational purposes will be considered compliant and legal to operate.
I imagine the Mini class of drones will remain particularly popular for this alone.

There are ASTM documents for all this (3586-22 and F3411-22A are the ones I've read). Unfortunately the documents are not free to download. There are multiple ways Remote ID can work and meet the requirements in the US.

Last edited:
Did anyone happen to notice this?

FAA wants 15 feet accuracy on remote ID. I don't think gps gets that kind of accuracy on a good day.

Did anyone happen to notice this?

FAA wants 15 feet accuracy on remote ID. I don't think gps gets that kind of accuracy on a good day.
Actually you do get that much accuracy at least on the Drone or you would be drifting pretty badly all the time with such a wide position margin. The older Phantom 3 was accurate to 3 ft on average and the RTK models of DJI drones down to 1 inch.

Reactions: mavictk
Last edited:
There was this discussion previously.

Hello everyone. I just did a DJI Firmware update today/Wednesday on my DJI Air 2S: Does anyone know what this means? Is this related to the FAA Remote ID requirement? Did I just install the Required Remote ID firmware onto my DJI Air 2S for use in the United States?
  1. Support for United States RID.
  2. Support for DJI Remote Controler.
  3. Support for Expo Curve seating in CINE more.
  4. Aircraft Firmware- DJI Air 2S-VO2.04.2320
  5. RC Firmware- 04.12.0060
  6. Fly safety Database for Apps: 01.00.01.27
  7. App Version: 1.7.8
Any information please pass along. Trying to lookup the meanings on the above Firmware Updates on my DJI Air 2S, on the computer.
😃

Thanks,
Reggie

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I just did a DJI Firmware update today/Wednesday on my DJI Air 2S: Does anyone know what this means? Is this related to the FAA Remote ID requirement? Did I just install the Required Remote ID firmware onto my DJI Air 2S for use in the United States?
  1. Support for United States RID.
  2. Support for DJI Remote Controler.
  3. Support for Expo Curve seating in CINE more.
  4. Aircraft Firmware- DJI Air 2S-VO2.04.2320
  5. RC Firmware- 04.12.0060
  6. Fly safety Database for Apps: 01.00.01.27
  7. App Version: 1.7.8
Any information please pass along. Trying to lookup the meanings on the above Firmware Updates on my DJI Air 2S, on the computer.
😃

Thanks,
Reggie
Yes, that is what it means. If you check the aircraft info in the app you will see the Remote ID serial number.

Reactions: KI5RLL and Ranger#1
Yes, that is what it means. If you check the aircraft info in the app you will see the Remote ID serial number.
WoW! Thanks for the tip. Yes, I did see & located the Remote ID serial number on my DGJ Air 2S. I have always updated my firmware before flying, but I had never paid attention or Noticed the Remote ID serial number Tab before...Crazy. Greatly appreciated! I guess Big Uncle-Sam/FAA is watching me and my location. Question now is (RID) Transmitting and working? Reggie,

WoW! Thanks for the tip. Yes, I did see & located the Remote ID serial number on my DGJ Air 2S. I have always updated my firmware before flying, but I had never paid attention or Noticed the Remote ID serial number Tab before...Crazy. Greatly appreciated! I guess Big Uncle-Sam/FAA is watching me and my location. Question now is (RID) Transmitting and working? Reggie,
Just need to find a phone that will pick up all the possibilities of remote ID broadcasts, and run one of the remote ID receiver apps, and see if it picks up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS