DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote places to fly in the UK

Hubster

Reactions
I live in Chelmsford in Essex and am looking for some remote places in the UK where I can practice flying my drone without being disturbed. If they are picturesque as well even better! I plan on taking a few weekends/days off later this year/early next year so would be good if I could base myself somewhere and go out and practice. Although I am in Essex, I am willing to travel. Scotland is obviously a good choice but that's a bit far! :)

Depends what you're looking for. Loads of beaches and national parks.
Most of Wales is empty with mountains, Scotland the same. Lake district etc.

Just make sure you're not physically standing on national trust land (quite hard given the massive land grabs they've performed) first.

To be honest, if you just want to practice, you cant beat a sports field or similar as a nice, clear, clean area to practice things.

Check out all the open spaces near you and see if they are NFZ, ideally away from public entitled spaces.

Just go to Wales for the weekend, We have stopped charging you to enter Wales too, the bridge is now free! You have mountains and beautiful beach and cliff coasts to film and it is not as far as Scotland.

Reactions: Mrmund
Just go to Wales for the weekend, We have stopped charging you to enter Wales too, the bridge is now free! You have mountains and beautiful beach and cliff coasts to film and it is not as far as Scotland.

Sadly most of it is national trust so you end up having to hide on high tide lines or find random footpaths they haven't yet annexed.
Although everyone and myself ignores it, technically the entire brecon beacons national park and almost all the wales coast path is belongs to the national trust junta now with a drone ban.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I live in Essex, Saffron Walden way and there are LOADS of open spaces for practice flying and some with picturesque views.
Look around where you live on on Google earth- You are also lucky being near the coast - lots of good flying there.

I live in Cumbria home of the lake district, I have found that no matter how remote the location as soon as I take off people arrive as if by magic.

Totally agree....same when using my video camera, nothing for miles around, pick up my video camera, push the record button and the whole world and his dog materialises IN FRONT and parade around!
I used to get annoyed but just accept it as the magic of the video camera. At least with my M2P the so and so’s need to fly to block the shots ????

Sadly most of it is national trust so you end up having to hide on high tide lines or find random footpaths they haven't yet annexed.
Although everyone and myself ignores it, technically the entire brecon beacons national park and almost all the wales coast path is belongs to the national trust junta now with a drone ban.
I saw that when we went back home for a holiday in 2017. Very sad state of affairs, they don't need all that land mass. I suppose one good thing is that the more they own, the less they can police it. They can't have someone watching all of the Brecon Beacons or all along the coast of the Gower. Do you know if it is possible to fly around Port Merion at all? I hope the NT don't control that too now.

They haven't gotten round to annexing huge chunks there yet (theres a big bit by Penrhyndeudraeth though and smaller ones nearer on zooming)

Basically, screw them. Like you said, they own so much of the UK now its impossible for them to police it and in either case, you're fine to fly *over* their land. If you're operating from it and they catch you the worst they can do in their bye-laws is ask you to leave.

Worth noting to people this isnt a *legal* no fly zone. its a private land use policy and nothing more.

They're easily the most anti-photographer and anti-drone organisation in the country - not sure how they qualify as a "charity" either...

Reactions: Ping^Spike
They haven't gotten round to annexing huge chunks there yet (theres a big bit by Penrhyndeudraeth though and smaller ones nearer on zooming)

Basically, screw them. Like you said, they own so much of the UK now its impossible for them to police it and in either case, you're fine to fly *over* their land. If you're operating from it and they catch you the worst they can do in their bye-laws is ask you to leave.

Worth noting to people this isnt a *legal* no fly zone. its a private land use policy and nothing more.

They're easily the most anti-photographer and anti-drone organisation in the country - not sure how they qualify as a "charity" either...
I know, I hate their policy. We have been family members for years and I have to say that they have allowed some photography on the ground, where they once did not, in some places and homes. We hope to pop over to Wales again next year for a holiday, so I shall start looking to see where the places are that I can and can not take off from. Maybe I should ask them if they want to buy our house! :) Thanks for the info.

When I was back home in Wales in 2017 I went to Rhossilli and it stated it was all National Trust land now. In this list you showed a link for, someone was showing his drone footage from Worms Head at Rhossilli and I thought that was National Trust as well, so technically no flying of drones there. Is this right or have I got it wrong here?
Your list shows this added in August 2019...
Worms Head Rhossilli on the Gower Peninsula.

Not my list! Added by members of the forum. I have nothing to do with it other than as a viewer of the resource.

These are places members have flown and suggested. They are supposed to advise of legality and where to take off from and provide directions, pictures, video, parking etc..

Obviously the onus is still on the individual to check and decide whether the site is viable.

I know nothing about Worms Head at Rhossill so cannot comment on legality.

If it is National Trust then they have a blanket ban on pretty much anything they don't approve of.

When I was back home in Wales in 2017 I went to Rhossilli and it stated it was all National Trust land now. In this list you showed a link for, someone was showing his drone footage from Worms Head at Rhossilli and I thought that was National Trust as well, so technically no flying of drones there. Is this right or have I got it wrong here?
Worms Head Rhossilli on the Gower Peninsula.

*MOST* of it is owned by the national trust mafia. Some fields and tracks are not. They also dont own the beach lower than the high tide line. So stand and operate in those places.
They cant do anything about overflight, flying over the ocean or their land.
Ive linked somewhere NTs own "history" map which helpfully shows the bits they do and dont own so you know where to operate from.

Its also worth noting than in their own bye-laws, the worst they can do to you if you violate one is ask you to leave.

FWIW if you do go there, park a little bit up the hill nearer the village - that way you can avoid giving NT any money at all for car parking. They're a truly disgusting organisation for drone flying and photographers in general.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Thanks very much for that info, that helps me greatly, especially the bit about the beach. When I was last there, I wanted to film my 3 and 5 year old running along the beach, when the tide was out but left my drone in the car because of the signs I saw. Such a shape because they will never be that young again, running along a wet sand beach, I wish I had just gone ahead and done it now, since it would have been completely legal to do. Next year I shall definitely be taking it down to the beach and shoot all I want.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580