DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repair advice for broken front arms of Mavic Mini?

avinoam83

Reactions
I posted about my crash at Loss of control of Mavic Mini - Pilot error or malfunction?. I'm looking for advice on my repair options. I hope that this is the correct forum. I do not have DJI Care. As you can see, the left arm broke completely (wire is still attached, but the arm is broken) and the right arm suffered some damage (much less though than the left). The damage to the left arm is much more visible when the arms are folded, probably because of the tension caused by the wire when unfolded. The first three photos show the front right arm and the last three photos show the front left arm. Since no pieces are missing, would the left arm possibly be repairable using glue? If so, would the arm remain attached when folding? With respect to the damage to the right arm, does it appear cosmetic only, or will it affect the drone's flight if not repaired?

How much should I expect to be charged by DJI or a third party shop to repair this damage? Does anyone have any experience with DJI Drone Service - Your Drone Repair Shop or similar services?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200127_184004.jpg
    20200127_184004.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 202
  • 20200127_183913.jpg
    20200127_183913.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 20200127_183858.jpg
    20200127_183858.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 191
  • 20200127_183954.jpg
    20200127_183954.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 185
  • 20200127_183832.jpg
    20200127_183832.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • 20200127_183819.jpg
    20200127_183819.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 182
I have used them several times and recommend them highly.
@djidroneservice is a vender here. If you looked at the site
you see you just start a ticket with them and they will pay
shipping both ways. You will get a qoute ,don’t like it they
send it back.

I posted about my crash at Loss of control of Mavic Mini - Pilot error or malfunction?. I'm looking for advice on my repair options. I hope that this is the correct forum. I do not have DJI Care. As you can see, the left arm broke completely (wire is still attached, but the arm is broken) and the right arm suffered some damage (much less though than the left). The damage to the left arm is much more visible when the arms are folded, probably because of the tension caused by the wire when unfolded. The first three photos show the front right arm and the last three photos show the front left arm. Since no pieces are missing, would the left arm possibly be repairable using glue? If so, would the arm remain attached when folding? With respect to the damage to the right arm, does it appear cosmetic only, or will it affect the drone's flight if not repaired?

How much should I expect to be charged by DJI or a third party shop to repair this damage? Does anyone have any experience with DJI Drone Service - Your Drone Repair Shop or similar services?

Thanks!
Feel free to send it in
You got nothing to loose...
use mavicpilots for $35 off the repair

I'd use djidroneservice (from what I've heard) if I didn't have the courage (it takes some to dig in the first time) skill and tools to DIY repair. Arms are available on line ($25 +or -, front are more than rear due to antennas). There are a lot of non-OEM arms for sale, but I'd stick with original parts. This is not a project for a newbie to circuit board soldering and electronics repair.

Reactions: Passap72
You can have an idea DJI prices from the repair chart here: DJI (although arms aren't mentioned).

MM arms are readily available on Ax http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=&SearchText=mavic+mini+arm
for example US $15.99 20% OFF|In Stock Original Brand New Mavic Mini Replacement Arms with Motor for DJI Mavic Mini Motor Arm Repair Service Spare Parts on AliExpress I can get myself an original arm+motor for a tiny bit more than 16 EUR.

But... considering you have to disassemble the drone and not be very comfortable with soldering
MM arms replacement

I suggest you may try the bi-component epoxy glue to repair the arms. The plastic deformation will stil be visible and may impact drone geometry (which you my want to recover using a heat gun) but considering the kind of fracture especially the one on the left arm should be a good match for the dual component epoxy glue.

Reactions: Passap72 and DDS
Only if your fix breaks while flying and you tear up more .
:p

I crashed my Mini and fractured a front arm. Without any soldering experience, I followed the directions detailed in the youtube video above and had some difficulty resoldering the new arm onto the motherboard. After several hours.... I was able to solder the three wires into their respective locations. Ensuring the fourth (gray) connector was attached securely I reassembled the arm in reverse order. Before re-installing the plastic body covers I tested the drone to see if it functioned properly after the repair.. It started up just fine, but upon takeoff, it would dive in the direction of the newly replaced arm. And that is where I am now; grounded... Any pro tips are much appreciated. Not against sending it in, but would like to try and fix it myself.

Thanks in advance.

I was able to solder the three wires into their respective locations.
Thanks in advance.

Assuming that the props are put back on in the correct configuration, check that diagonal motors have the same rotation (and the same prop orientation). I'm guessing that the new arm and motor wiring has to be changed to change the rotation. To do that just de-solder any two wires and switch them. Doesn't matter what two you reverse, it'll change the motor direction. Should be easy to solder now that you've had hours of practice... Maybe try a different soldering iron with a bigger/hotter tip and use some flux.

Reactions: DDS
Assuming that the props are put back on in the correct configuration, check that diagonal motors have the same rotation (and the same prop orientation). I'm guessing that the new arm and motor wiring has to be changed to change the rotation. To do that just de-solder any two wires and switch them. Doesn't matter what two you reverse, it'll change the motor direction. Should be easy to solder now that you've had hours of practice... Maybe try a different soldering iron with a bigger/hotter tip and use some flux.

Thanks for the follow-up! I'm happy to report that my Mini is back in the air! Simple oversight was all.. When I replaced the broken arm, I also replaced the broken propellors. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that some propellors had 2 stripes and others had 1. Yep, had the wrong propellors installed on the new arm! Swapped those with the proper blades and BOOM, she's flying good as new!

Thanks again for the help everyone. Side note, I have another crashed Mini which is where I sourced my replacement arm from. This "parts" drone is disassembled to the point of removing arms and will stay like that. If anyone needs pictures or references of the internals let me know.

GOODSPEED FELLAS

I just bought my mavic mini and got a little to cocky and put it into a tree. I broke the front left arm as well.
I ordered a replacement and hope I can do this repair myself. I have a question about the soldering. What time of soldering iron should I use and should I use something with a certain temperature? I do not want to melt anything when soldering. Any advice or suggestions? THANK YOU!!

Any would do (reasonable small size)... the soldering spots are tiny on the ESC board. It's better that you get yourself some metal whool to clean your iron tip (wet sponge tend to oxidize) and some braided copper wick to suck out the excess solder. Buy rosin core solder 40/60 so you can use a lower soldering temperature on your iron. Get yourself some flux... never a bad idea.

Any would do (reasonable small size)... the soldering spots are tiny on the ESC board. It's better that you get yourself some metal whool to clean your iron tip (wet sponge tend to oxidize) and some braided copper wick to suck out the excess solder. Buy rosin core solder 40/60 so you can use a lower soldering temperature on your iron. Get yourself some flux... never a bad idea.
Thank you sir! I am thinking I might be able to use the same solder when reconnecting the new arm cables. If not I will grab some rosin core solder 40/60. So recommend getting a small precise sized iron instead of typical pencil size units?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98