DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replace props in pairs?

mcascone

Reactions
I haven't heard this anywhere, but the question occurred to me. I discovered a crack on a propeller so I will replace it. Is there any reason to replace one of opposite-color props at the same time? I can't think of a reason that this would be necessary, but I'm new at this.

It's a Mavic Pro, if model is a factor.

Reactions: pedroj
So this is where I might disagree. Depending on the situation. If I took a hit and damaged a prop, yes I would change just the one. But if I got a stress fracture or some other type of just sudden damage, I would replace all 4. My thinking is that whatever caused that one to start to fail may happen to another, and it may happen mid flight. For 30 bucks, it’s cheaper to just replace all 4 then have a suddenly catastrophic failure in flight and lose the drone. I may be paranoid, but props are literally the things holding your drone in the air, don’t take chances. It’s like tires on a car, it’s literally the thing holding your car on the road, don’t skimp.

Since we’re using tires for an analogy, I think he hit a pothole and has a flat tire. Change your flat and replace with a new tire. As long as the other ones are good, you just need one new one, no need to replace the set [emoji106]

Reactions: Former Member
So this is where I might disagree. Depending on the situation. If I took a hit and damaged a prop, yes I would change just the one. But if I got a stress fracture or some other type of just sudden damage, I would replace all 4. My thinking is that whatever caused that one to start to fail may happen to another, and it may happen mid flight. For 30 bucks, it’s cheaper to just replace all 4 then have a suddenly catastrophic failure in flight and lose the drone. I may be paranoid, but props are literally the things holding your drone in the air, don’t take chances. It’s like tires on a car, it’s literally the thing holding your car on the road, don’t skimp.
I am a proponent of safety when flying but I will have to disagree with you on your analogy on prop replacement in pairs or sets. I have props on my Phantom 2 that are original... if a prop is not damaged, it is perfectly safe to use. Also, if you look around Youtube there are plenty of videos where people will cut off a section of prop and show it still flies, I am not saying you should fly it that way, I am saying even half a prop that is cut up will hold the quad in the air.

Here is an example...

Reactions: dajohn17
I am a proponent of safety when flying but I will have to disagree with you on your analogy on prop replacement in pairs or sets. I have props on my Phantom 2 that are original... if a prop is not damaged, it is perfectly safe to use. Also, if you look around Youtube there are plenty of videos where people will cut off a section of prop and show it still flies, I am not saying you should fly it that way, I am saying even half a prop that is cut up will hold the quad in the air.

Here is an example...

unless it separates from the hinge, but to each their own, I think the relatively minuscule cost of the props is worth the piece of mind.

Reactions: choo choo

Here is an example...

I’ve seen the one video where they cut half of the blades off and it flies[emoji15]. Fine drones and the technology behind the ESC’s and GPS positioning. [emoji106]

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that many of us store our Mavics with the props removed, so that we probably reinstall them differently, each time. If you're doing this, replacing in pairs seems to be an expensive thing to do. I check each prop, every time I install it, and when I remove them, after flight. If one seems warped, nicked, cracked, I replace it. Other than that, I keep using it.

Here is an example...

maybe for a mavic but trimming even a half inch off a phantom and itll vibrate like crazy,the clip where mavic props gets cut and still fly made me try this on my p3 and it acted like it was gonna break apart

unless it separates from the hinge, but to each their own, I think the relatively minuscule cost of the props is worth the piece of mind.
In your defense, there is nothing wrong with your process, but your fear is unfounded as there is no history of quads falling due to not replacing in pairs or sets.

maybe for a mavic but trimming even a half inch off a phantom and itll vibrate like crazy,the clip where mavic props gets cut and still fly made me try this on my p3 and it acted like it was gonna break apart
Actually, the Phantom flew quite well until most of the prop was trimmed away...

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that many of us store our Mavics with the props removed, so that we probably reinstall them differently, each time. If you're doing this, replacing in pairs seems to be an expensive thing to do. I check each prop, every time I install it, and when I remove them, after flight. If one seems warped, nicked, cracked, I replace it. Other than that, I keep using it.
I never remove the props unless I am turning it on inside or for the occasional inspection of the lock ring & tabs on the props. You are safe to leave them on when stored. Removing them over & over will eventually wear on the spring, plastic tabs & lock ring.

Reactions: Daptone
Props have a finite life span but no one really knows the MTTF for a set.

Chances are it's higher than the rest of the mavic.

A preventative maintenance routine would specify to replace at "x" amount of hours based on the MTTF.

The fact that this is not available suggests that propellor failure is not forseen in the mavics normal lifespan.

In the event of a crash or props hitting an object, the integrity is then unknown and would be wise to replace.

If I found a crack, stress on lugs or play on pivots then I would probably replace all 4 to be safe if the damage was unexplained and had done a decent amount of hours.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Props have a finite life span but no one really knows the MTTF for a set.

Chances are it's higher than the rest of the mavic.

A preventative maintenance routine would specify to replace at "x" amount of hours based on the MTTF.

The fact that this is not available suggests that propellor failure is not forseen in the mavics normal lifespan.

Not completely accurate, DJI stated in a forum post back last year that it was around 200 “flights” , they don’t specify time, so they probably just assume an almost full to empty battery life

Reactions: Callum
I never remove the props unless I am turning it on inside or for the occasional inspection of the lock ring & tabs on the props. You are safe to leave them on when stored. Removing them over & over will eventually wear on the spring, plastic tabs & lock ring.
I hope it doesn't cause too much wear and tear. I can't imagine my taking off and putting on propellers is any more stressful than the extremely high RPM's of those engines lifting my Mavic

Reactions: Daptone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake