DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replaced Gimbal/Camera. Still (partially) inoperable

Reactions
MAVIC Pro

Good day everyone. I have combed the forums to no avail, desperately seeking help.

After 3 days of ownership of my Mavic Pro, I crashed (more on this later). Result of the crash was a broken front arm and a broken gimbal. I purchased OEM replacement parts and made the repairs last night (Thanks to YouTube!). The replaced arm/motor works (thankfully), but now I have a new symptom(s) with the new gimbal.

The gimbal receives power, and during start up goes through its function test (or what ever it is called when it dances about at start up). The camera then stays "locked on" a general direction, is irresponsive to tilt commands from the tx or phone, and there is no transmitted image on the phone. I receive the 'low ambient light' warning message. Attempts to calibrate the gimbal are completely irresponsive.

I have attempted to troubleshoot by uninstalling and reinstalling the gimbal, in hopes that I had a poor pin connection. I don't see any obstructions or bent connector pins.

Fingers crossed that someone can provide some diagnostics, experience, or suggestions on how to repair.

Thanks you in advance.
-Mike

Did you replace wires to gimble, I hear that's where alot of the problems are, should be two of them.

Thanks for the reply!

the replacement gimbal came as one unit (camera, gimbal, vibration dampening board, etc.) it was totally plug-and-play with four connections (circled in the attached photo) plus the power supply male connector. Unless the wires you are referring to are the four ribbon cables remaining on the Mavic, they were replaced.

I'd ask thunderdrones

I'm new around these parts. assuming @Thunderdrones is the resident expert? thanks for the lead!

Attachments

• four pins.jpg
    four pins.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
When you say OEM, y'mean from DJI or a third party? Gimbal control runs off the flat wire that runs between all 3 motors. Potentially they may have a break or bend that broke that flat conductor

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
When you say OEM, y'mean from DJI or a third party? Gimbal control runs off the flat wire that runs between all 3 motors. Potentially they may have a break or bend that broke that flat conductor

DJI authentic replacement sold through a third party.

Flat wire meaning the very thin silver wires? Shown in this picture (from the broken gimbal)
02ca7fb5b327b5f99e8e867b5debd4a5.jpg

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I still think it's a cable. Doesn't take much to hurt them.

OK I don’t want to get lost in semantics. We are using the term cable and (flat) wires... and I do not think we are defining the same thing.

There is one VIDEO cable

e85e0c02c94917d58382640b45692f0b.jpg

And one FLEX cable

2bde3c2bb731adf1f477ed4fa6190fd0.jpg

both the flex cable and video cable came preinstalled on the replacement gimbal unit I purchased (which looked like below)

5fceb5987bcf57bb8f63e95c25c2d797.jpg

In either case, I think if you are referring to either of these cables, I believe I have a case for returning and replacing the gimbal assembly through the vendor.

The flat cable controls gimbal movement. If you're getting picture, the bundled grey wire (first pic) is fine. You're issue is the flat cable (2nd pic). You gonna use the broken gimbal? If not, I'd be willing to buy off you for parts. Let me know.

The flat cable controls gimbal movement. If you're getting picture, the bundled grey wire (first pic) is fine. You're issue is the flat cable (2nd pic). You gonna use the broken gimbal? If not, I'd be willing to buy off you for parts. Let me know.

I am getting no picture at all and no gimbal movement (except for power up sequence)

@gersumabt if I can get the issues resolved with the new camera, I'll absolutely part out the old one to you.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji