DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Report of "disappearing" Mavic Pro 2

ballerhe75

Reactions
In a previous thread, which is closed now, I posted, "Help with flight log". First sentence in comments was, "Mavic Pro 2, did it disappear". Here is information for those who followed the 6 page thread.

I just received an email for DJI and here is what it said:

DJI SUPPORT (DJI Support)
2月12日 CST12:11
Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience.

This is _____ from the data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

For your case CAS-2723808-D5C1G1, we have finished the data analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked in GPS mode;
2. T=06:21, H=4.3 m, D=73.4 m, the record ended while the aircraft was hovering;
3. The home point: 35.0094300 -82.5103321, and the last point: 35.0087775 -82.5104600.

The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterwards.

We truly appreciate your support for DJI. If you could not recover the product and consider to purchase another one, we can offer you a 30% off discount for Mavic 2 Pro without the charger and remote controller. Please kindly send us the following information if you would like to accept the offer:
Shipping address:
Contact name:
Phone number:

----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------We’re sorry to tell you that the discount cannot be applied to any other model other than the original one, or be credited to your account.

Should you have more questions about the result of the data analysis, please reply to this email directly within 15 calendar days. Then we will contact you via email in 2-3 working days.

Thanks for your support. Have a nice day.

So, maybe I was correct, it just disappeared. No flyaway. No crash. No pilot error. Just, gone. Oh, and searched the area three times.

1549977123232.png

Attachments

• 1549976785041.png
    1549976785041.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 1549976852624.png
    1549976852624.png
    406.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 1549976981163.png
    1549976981163.png
    441 KB · Views: 108
  • 1549977077431.png
    1549977077431.png
    447.4 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: Concern
So, maybe I was correct, it just disappeared. No flyaway. No crash. No pilot error. Just, gone.
It certainly didn't just disappear into thin air. DJI is just saying the flight log just doesn't include data to explain what happened.

That looks like it should have been visible to you. What altitude did it disappear? Could it have been shot down?

Reactions: Mavicmaniac
Here is my guess as to what happened
1 you was flying near power lines
2 a road was nearby crash site
3. Drone was not in direct line of sight
Taking these three elements either you smacked a power line or got close enough for one to do a static discharge and fried your machine
It was witnessed by a driver on the road and they grabbed a fallen drone.
Barring that did you think to look up, check the trees across the street

Last edited:
Searching needed to happen moments after the loss in that location.
Not turning your back on it and realising days after to go search for it when somebody may have already found it.

The power lines were close but not that close.Willie14228

Searching needed to happen moments after the loss in that location.
Not turning your back on it and realising days after to go search for it when somebody may have already found it.

The power lines were close but not that close.Willie14228
The picture on the other thread showed the flight path pretty close or it looked like it but I may have looked wrong
Still ive been around some of those country power lines and some can really buzz and cause all kinds of havic

Reactions: SpinItUp
The picture on the other thread showed the flight path pretty close or it looked like it but I may have looked wrong
Still ive been around some of those country power lines and some can really buzz and cause all kinds of havic
Yes, I see your point...the hover @ about 14ft looks to be not far off the height of the lines.
powerlines.jpg

The crack from them would've scared the local wildlife within a mile if contact was made though!
Did they have an influence at such a short distance...not so sure?

Last edited:
I have done a lot of work around power lines in my big truck equipped with GPS Sat comms and cell comms along with the ESC in the truck itself. Even at the 10 to 20ft height off my location I have seen GPS drift from interference of the lines, total cellphone dropout and in one case ESC errors. Static discharge doesn't always mean a lightning bolt air to air a simple neg charge jumping to a positive charged prop blade wouldn't be loud but it would play havack with the electronics
In town people complain about buzzing lines (signs of cracked insulation) but out in the back woods not so much. $800 I would give benefit and check that treeline.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpinItUp
In a previous thread, which is closed now, I posted, "Help with flight log". First sentence in comments was, "Mavic Pro 2, did it disappear". Here is information for those who followed the 6 page thread.

I just received an email for DJI and here is what it said:

DJI SUPPORT (DJI Support)
2月12日 CST12:11
Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience.

This is _____ from the data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

For your case CAS-2723808-D5C1G1, we have finished the data analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked in GPS mode;
2. T=06:21, H=4.3 m, D=73.4 m, the record ended while the aircraft was hovering;
3. The home point: 35.0094300 -82.5103321, and the last point: 35.0087775 -82.5104600.

The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterwards.

We truly appreciate your support for DJI. If you could not recover the product and consider to purchase another one, we can offer you a 30% off discount for Mavic 2 Pro without the charger and remote controller. Please kindly send us the following information if you would like to accept the offer:
Shipping address:
Contact name:
Phone number:

----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------We’re sorry to tell you that the discount cannot be applied to any other model other than the original one, or be credited to your account.

Should you have more questions about the result of the data analysis, please reply to this email directly within 15 calendar days. Then we will contact you via email in 2-3 working days.

Thanks for your support. Have a nice day.

So, maybe I was correct, it just disappeared. No flyaway. No crash. No pilot error. Just, gone. Oh, and searched the area three times.

View attachment 62733
Man o man. That really sucks losing it and then trying to make heads or tails of all the flight records and all.
I read both threads entirely. Most of which was over my head (no pun intended). For me, uneducated and still a newbie, I would spend a lot of time across the road looking in the trees. Judging by the photos thats the most likely place it would be to me. My thought process without all the data and tech stuff says if it's not where it was it's somewhere else.
I'm probably wrong but since I took the time to read it all I feel I can comment. I hope you find it.

Static discharge from power lines??? Wow, that's a stretch considering there's no path to ground... Utility workers repair power lines all the time from a helicopter, funny they don't get electrocuted. Some need a refresh on basic electricity. Now EM interference from power lines might be slightly more believable, since they do produce a lot of noise, but still a stretch.. Flying into power lines more believable.

Reactions: bobj151
Yes, I see your point...the hover @ about 14ft looks to be not far off the height of the lines.
View attachment 62760

The crack from them would've scared the local wildlife within a mile if contact was made though!
Did they have an influence at such a short distance...not so sure?

The most likely explanation is that the link was lost, the aircraft entered RTH, and then began retracing its path (refer to the track I posted in the other thread). That would have taken it back very close to the power lines. If it hit one then it will have gone down and, that close to the road, it may have been seen and picked up.

retracing its path!!
That's something to bear in mind, didn't know that would happen.
RTH I imagined being a direct route H

Static discharge from power lines??? Wow, that's a stretch considering there's no path to ground... Utility workers repair power lines all the time from a helicopter, funny they don't get electrocuted. Some need a refresh on basic electricity. Now EM interference from power lines might be slightly more believable, since they do produce a lot of noise, but still a stretch.. Flying into power lines more believable.
Perhaps before you start trolling a post you might do some of your own research
Powerline static charge
It's real simple it's called Google
Fiberglass props and ABC plastic both will build a charge.
Speaking of helicopters I've been knocked on my butt grabbing a pull line from a chopper picking up a piece of freight off my flatbed

Reactions: amacrae and Elude
Perhaps before you start trolling a post you might do some of your own research
Powerline static charge
It's real simple it's called Google
Fiberglass props and ABC plastic both will build a charge.
Speaking of helicopters I've been knocked on my butt grabbing a pull line from a chopper picking up a piece of freight off my flatbed
Obviously, you were the path to ground. Anyone that's worked in aviation knows you wouldn't touch a chopper before it's touched the ground. You're talking about a difference in potential between a flying drone and a power line. If a drone prop built up any substantial static charge, you'd feel it when hand catching your drone. Not enough surface area to build up anything major static wise..

Reactions: CJH92474
I'd put my money on clipped the power line and someone grabbed it, is that a pretty busy road?

Here is my guess as to what happened
1 you was flying near power lines
2 a road was nearby crash site
3. Drone was not in direct line of sight
Taking these three elements either you smacked a power line or got close enough for one to do a static discharge and fried your machine
It was witnessed by a driver on the road and they grabbed a fallen drone.
Barring that did you think to look up, check the trees across the street

Yes, looked in the trees. My truck was parked about 30 feet from home point, and maybe 100 feet from the last recording of the drone. As can be seen from the photo, everything happened in a small area.

Now I just need to see what DJI charges for the drone only.

By the way way, I have Care Fresh AND State Farm. No matter what, I am covered.

Thanks for all the comments

Reactions: CJH92474 and J-Dog

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS