DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Report those helicopter pilots!

Digitaldias

Reactions
Ok, since we're all taking some hate from flying our drones, I wanted to shift the focus slightly towards Helicopter pilots, and how they need to stick to their altitude regulations just as we do.

I love flying my drone, and I do so happily within the legal frames of the places where I fly.

Where I live, in Norway, Helicopters are required to fly at a minimum altitude of 300m (about 1000ft) above ground. This goes hand in hand with the rules that drones and other remote controlled aircraft stay at or under 120m (~400ft) since that airspace should be clear of helicopters. Special helicopters, such as police, ambulance, firefighters, are exempt of this rule of course, whilst everyone else has to apply for, and register a NOTAM which basically blocks that airspace from everyone else.

Basically, if you see a helicopter closer than 300m above ground, you SHOULD be able to find it on a local register of temprarily blocked flight areas. If not, they're breaking the rules.

Having said that, I frequently see helicopers flying at lower altitudes than that, FAR lower. Just the other day, some idiot was hovering no more than 10m (~33ft) above the rooftops in my neighbourhood, way, way below his required altitude. The helicopter was not recognizeable as police/ambulance or firefighter, and checking the local NOTAM website, no exceptions for my area were registered there.

I immediately called the police, and also sent the helicopter's registration number to the Norwegian version of the FAA to report him. He probably got a decent sized fine.

I think helicopter pilots have been too used to breaking their altitude rule, since nothing other than an odd bird would be at risk to collide with them, but this changes with drone sales doubling from last year.

So, JUST as it is important for us to not go higher than 120m/400ft, it is AS important for helicopter pilots to stay above their designated minimum altitude.

Meanwhile, of course, if you're out flying your mavic, and hear anything that sounds like a helicopter, DESCEND immediately :)

Meanwhile, of course, if you're out flying your mavic, and hear anything that sounds like a helicopter, DESCEND immediately
That and change course. The rotor wash of a helicopter will send this your mavic back to planet earth without a parachute

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
Not only that!
We here in the US are forbidden to fly inside National Park due to noise and wildlife disturbance etc.
But go and visit any NP here you can see Heli tours all over the place.
Just saying.

In USA it is my understanding that helicopters are allowed to fly at pretty much any elevation. I had one on the beach fly past at about 45 meters AGL about 200 kph near sunset within a couple football fields of mavic.

(I converted to metric system in my head....130 feet agl and 100-120mph estimated)

Watch out!

Yeah, I pretty much hate helicopter pilots in this area.

I think the FAA states congested area 1,000ft above highest obstacle. Over non congested areas 500ft BUT then the FAA says that helo's can operate at less than the minimums if flying without hazards.. lol... go figure.

I live near a local airstrip for planes. They're totally cool with me flying around the airport, using common sense of course, since the plans have to have at least 500' AGL.

I live near a local airstrip for planes. They're totally cool with me flying around the airport, using common sense of course, since the plans have to have at least 500' AGL.

It's a common misconception that all aircraft must always be 500 feet AGL. That restriction is based on the airspace designation. For instance, where I live (Class G airspace), I can fly my 'plane one-inch off the ground as long as I'm 500-feet AWAY FROM any vehicle, building, person, etc. on the ground. On take-off, or approach to landing the aircraft can be (obviously they HAVE to be) less than 500-feet AGL even if over a built-up area.

So the 500-foot AGL rule is true in general, but there are exceptions.

It's a common misconception that all aircraft must always be 500 feet AGL. That restriction is based on the airspace designation. For instance, where I live (Class G airspace), I can fly my 'plane one-inch off the ground as long as I'm 500-feet AWAY FROM any vehicle, building, person, etc. on the ground. On take-off, or approach to landing the aircraft can be (obviously they HAVE to be) less than 500-feet AGL even if over a built-up area.

So the 500-foot AGL rule is true in general, but there are exceptions.

Crop dusters also fly below 500
Feet agl.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S