DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Request for advice

FireballXL5

Reactions
I would like to fly my Mini about 10 or 20 feet above a river. There is a pedestrian foot bridge that is made entirely of metal, and I would like to stand on this bridge and fly up/down river. I plan on launching the Mini from the parking lot that is located less than 100 feet from the bridge. I'll make sure the home point is set to the parking lot location, good satellites, etc.. Once the Mini is in the air, I plan on letting it hoover above the river bank, while I move to the bridge. My concerns are 1) the bottom sensors on the drone causing a problem if I fly 10 or 20 feet above the river, and 2) compass/IMU issues if I fly the drone over the bridge to film both directions of the river flow. I don't think flying from the bridge will be an issue as long as I take off away from it. Am I making a correct assumption about flying from the bridge in this case? Should I put tape over the downward facing sensors on the Mini for this flight? I will have good line of sight on the Mini from the bridge in both directions, so signal strength shouldn't be an issue. Also, I have about 10 flights, so I am a new pilot. Please take that into consideration when you respond, as this might change your opinion. Thanks for your advice....

There's a bit of a learning curve but it works. Here's a video from 3 days back, crossing a kilometer wide river from one shore to another.

The only word of caution I'd put is to keep watching that height at the bottom left of ur fly app, I've had the infamous uncommanded descent a couple of times now. It does seem to be propeller driven, but I'm not letting it keep me grounded.

Crossing the river

atsphenomenon, thanks for the reply (nice video too), I would like to fly lower and up & down the river, not across it. I'm thinking I should be OK, but I am worried about flying that close to the water in case there is an issue with the downward sensors. I'm thinking if there is a problem with the sensors not getting a good fix, due to the reflection from the water, that the drone will rise rather than descend. I'm also concerned about flying from the bridge. I think if I fly above the bridge at 20 or 30 feet I should be ok with the magnetic interference from the bridge. I just want to get some other opinions. To date I have not had any issues with the Mini. I has done everything that I asked it too. The issues have been pilot related like wanting to go left and going right when the drone is flying towards me vs. away from me. But that is just a learning issue, and I am getting better about it. I will say that I am extra cautious when I fly the drone towards me since I'm still getting used to things being reversed in this situation.

I have flown down and low but the limit there for me is 5 feet, that too in absolutely calm waters, lest the water sprinkles the motors. What I can tell you is five feet plus was safe.

But if you're looking for that absolute down low, ocean hugging shot, I haven't given that a try.

No, I plan on staying no lower than 10 feet. At this point I'm not comfortable enough in my flying skills to want to fly lower than that over water. What about the bridge issue, do you thing that will cause me any problems?

Here are some tips, not all of will apply to the MM

Thanks for the link to the DJI video. I did watch that a few weeks ago. Do you think there will be any issues with standing on the bridge to fly? I'm sure its not a good idea to launch from the bridge.

Thanks for the link to the DJI video. I did watch that a few weeks ago. Do you think there will be any issues with standing on the bridge to fly? I'm sure its not a good idea to launch from the bridge.

It should be fine to stand on the bridge, compass interference on launch would probably occur if you launched from the bridge, DJI Fly would come up with a warning

It should be fine to stand on the bridge, compass interference on launch would probably occur if you launched from the bridge, DJI Fly would come up with a warning
That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the conformation. I guess I just need to go to the location and give it a try. I can always back out if I don't feel comfortable about the flight. I just want to be sure to be able to fly another day. Thumbswayup:cool:

I am not an expert, but I read that some pilots put tape over the downward sensors when they’re flying over water with the mini. I’m sure others will chime in on this one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada