DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reset Heights

fiftiesnut

Reactions
New member. Not sure if this is where you post questions or not. Is it necessary or required to set maximum height and RTH height every time you fly? Meaning every time you turn on your controller and drone.

Those values will be remembered the next time you power on your Mavic. It's a good idea to reset the RTH altitude to the appropriate altitude each time you fly in a new location. Set it to at least the tallest obstacle above the takeoff location plus about 50 feet to account for any inaccuracy in the Mavic's current altitude.

Thanks very much for the reply. I've had a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for a year. I have watched numerous Mavic video on Utube trying to learn all that I can about setting and flying the Mavic. As with the Phantom, I am uneasy to allow either drone to get too far away from my location. I know I still have a lot more to learn with the Mavic and I am thankful there are people like you here to help when you can. Thanks again.

I had a LOT of trouble flying further away than 700 feet or so at first. I had to get comfortable with relying on DJI Go 4 for information on height, bearing, and distance, and above all the video feed to know exactly where my drone was. For the first several weeks I was badly hampered, both technically and as far as fear factor, by the fact that my Nexus 5x kept crashing. Awful.

I finally dealt with this by getting a known very stable tablet and things are going much better. No crashes or emergency landings in 60 flights, and still counting.

I had a LOT of trouble flying further away than 700 feet or so at first. I had to get comfortable with relying on DJI Go 4 for information on height, bearing, and distance, and above all the video feed to know exactly where my drone was. For the first several weeks I was badly hampered, both technically and as far as fear factor, by the fact that my Nexus 5x kept crashing. Awful.

I finally dealt with this by getting a known very stable tablet and things are going much better. No crashes or emergency landings in 60 flights, and still counting.
I live in central Oklahoma but leaving Friday for a couple of week in Colorado. I hope to get in a lot of flying time as well as some interesting video. My concern as I am writing this is I received a message for filmware update. With iPhone connected to controller and controller connected to the drone and the drone says ready to fly, DJI GO showed a 100% download but that was 30 minutes ago. Everything is still turned on and connected but nothing else is happening. I hope this will work out and not ground my drone before vacation.

I do not thing there was an actual update installed. After one hour of looking as iPhone screen with download animation and a blue line indicating 100% download, nothing else ever happened. I did not think it was necessary for me to do anything else until update was complete. In the morning, I will try to put the Mavic in the air from my back yard just to see if all is still go. I did check afterward and my height setting were still OK but the shortcut buttons on the back (C1 & C2) had lost their settings. I do appreciate the help I am getting from all of you.

I generally use DJI assistant to do firmware, because it clearly shows which version is installed in both the drone and the controller. DJI Go 4 always seems a little vague about which version is installed where. The drone and controller should be powered down when you connect them to your computer's USB. And, do a test flight before you leave, in case DJI Go 4 asks you to login to your account.

I know, though, just what you need before taking off on vacation!

I don't down load in the field I use assistant 2 and there it downloads to my computer first. It says 100% then it downloads to the MP and rc. I don't know but is it waiting for a command by you to download to the the MP and rc. I don't remember, been a while since I have done an update.
Even if you have issues don't push it and loose it or crash. Be sure it's sorted out and your comfortable with it. And remember to enjoy yourself and don't let it ruin your vacation. I've read post where things didn't go as planned and they spent all the time frustrated. There will be other opportunities to fly and film.
Oh and happy early birthday.

Reactions: geigy
I don't down load in the field I use assistant 2 and there it downloads to my computer first. It says 100% then it downloads to the MP and rc. I don't know but is it waiting for a command by you to download to the the MP and rc. I don't remember, been a while since I have done an update.
Even if you have issues don't push it and loose it or crash. Be sure it's sorted out and your comfortable with it. And remember to enjoy yourself and don't let it ruin your vacation. I've read post where things didn't go as planned and they spent all the time frustrated. There will be other opportunities to fly and film.
Oh and happy early birthday.
Thanks for the BD wish and the drone advice. Before packing it away for the trip, I was able to hook up and fly the Mavic in my small back yard. All seemed normal. I will let you all know how it goes when I return home in a couple of weeks.

Just keep flying, you will get more comfortable with practice. I was very uneasy at first sending my $1000 drone out of line of sight. Then once you get comfortable with the controls and can interpret what the "instruments" are telling you, it's easy. I recently took some nice video of fireworks on the 4th, flying in the dark, over the ocean, with exploding projectiles.

Just keep flying, you will get more comfortable with practice. I was very uneasy at first sending my $1000 drone out of line of sight. Then once you get comfortable with the controls and can interpret what the "instruments" are telling you, it's easy. I recently took some nice video of fireworks on the 4th, flying in the dark, over the ocean, with exploding projectiles.
The Mavic flew perfectly on my trip in Colorado. I do have another question. When I flew my Phantom 3 Advanced, the red pointer always pointed the same direction as the front of the drone. With my Mavic Pro, it seems to not do this. Do I have something in app set wrong or do I not understand the purpose of the red pointer?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143