DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Resolve 14

So so so much faster on my 1.2ghz laptop! I'm actually getting near realtime playback which I'm stoked about!

Reactions: CaveDrone
Semi off-topic but is there a good online tutorial someplace for this program?

Semi off-topic but is there a good online tutorial someplace for this program?

There are video tutorials on you tube you can check out. That's how I started with resolve 12.5. I'm sure they will be updating the videos for 14 daily.

Reactions: Hammer
I downloaded it yesterday but yet not had time to try it.
Hope they've improve its performance for weak graphic cards. :rolleyes:

I am sure Casy will put out some Resolve 14 stuff soon, if you need to know info for 12.5 then google Casy

I am sure Casy will put out some Resolve 14 stuff soon, if you need to know info for 12.5 then google Casy

I really like the potential for Resolve 14, but I've been experiencing an issue that's a show-stopper for me: I cannot seem to get the right aspect ratio for my Mavic clips. I know the Mavic shoots in 16:9 (1920/1080, et cetera), and I can set 1920/1080 in the project settings. All well and good.

But when I choose my clips, they always look squeezed. No problem, after reviewing a dozen clips on the topic, I choose the Clip Attributes, and choose Anamorpic from the video dropdown there. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but should that be automatic? Every video editor I've seen handles these at their recorded ratio - except Resolve. Resolve seems to go out of its way to make it exceedingly difficult - read on.) Anyway, I do that, and the clip is too wide; everyone looks fat. Default is that everyone looks too skinny. And none of the settings in between seem to render the 16:9 ratio. What am I doing wrong, and more to the point, what can I do right to make this look nice?

Thanks,
Dennis Lovelady

Just to make sure: you are shooting in 4k or Cinema 4k? Cinema 4k is 4096x2160, so not 16:9 as UHD 4k and 1080p.
When you choose to export/render the clip and select the desired resolution (1080p, 2160p...) the result is in proper 16:9 or stretched?
Is your monitor a 16:9 model, or ultrawide 21:9? In Project Settings are you using de default settings for timeline resolution and video monitoring (HD 1080p or UHD 2160p)? I use UHD 2160p and everything else is stock. When I render I just choose 1080p or 2160p.

I really like the potential for Resolve 14, but I've been experiencing an issue that's a show-stopper for me: I cannot seem to get the right aspect ratio for my Mavic clips. I know the Mavic shoots in 16:9 (1920/1080, et cetera), and I can set 1920/1080 in the project settings. All well and good.

But when I choose my clips, they always look squeezed. No problem, after reviewing a dozen clips on the topic, I choose the Clip Attributes, and choose Anamorpic from the video dropdown there. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but should that be automatic? Every video editor I've seen handles these at their recorded ratio - except Resolve. Resolve seems to go out of its way to make it exceedingly difficult - read on.) Anyway, I do that, and the clip is too wide; everyone looks fat. Default is that everyone looks too skinny. And none of the settings in between seem to render the 16:9 ratio. What am I doing wrong, and more to the point, what can I do right to make this look nice?

Thanks,
Dennis Lovelady

I can't answer your query but why would you choose Anamorphic? That requires an anamorphic lens on the camera and the Mavic most certainly does not have an anamorphic lens. Perhaps if you post a screenshot of your project settings we can help further

Just to make sure: you are shooting in 4k or Cinema 4k? Cinema 4k is 4096x2160, so not 16:9 as UHD 4k and 1080p.
When you choose to export/render the clip and select the desired resolution (1080p, 2160p...) the result is in proper 16:9 or stretched?
Is your monitor a 16:9 model, or ultrawide 21:9? In Project Settings are you using de default settings for timeline resolution and video monitoring (HD 1080p or UHD 2160p)? I use UHD 2160p and everything else is stock. When I render I just choose 1080p or 2160p.

I can't answer your query but why would you choose Anamorphic? That requires an anamorphic lens on the camera and the Mavic most certainly does not have an anamorphic lens. Perhaps if you post a screenshot of your project settings we can help further

Thank you for your interest.

Here is a sample from a recent project.
The Project Properties can be seen here: Lovelady's Miscellaneous FilesResolve-Project.png
The Clip Attributes can be seen here: http://www.lovelady.com/misc/Resolve-Clip-1.3x-anamorphic.png
A screenshot of the (approx) same point in the same clip can be seen here: http://www.lovelady.com/misc/MPC-Same-Image.png

If it's difficult to read, the clip attributes from MPC include:
Width : 2 720 pixels
Height : 1 530 pixels
Original height : 1 536 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

Hopefully that will clear up the question. MPC Home Classic's representation is dead-on accurate. If you look at the overall image in Resolve, versus the image in MPC HC, you'll see that the Resolve image seems to be narrower in relation to the height. I cannot find any setting where that's actually correct.

A quick glance and.... why do you have CinemaScope selected? Should be square pixels

A quick glance and.... why do you have CinemaScope selected? Should be square pixels
Because I clearly don't know what I'm doing. :)

That did help, but did not (ahem) resolve the issue. http://www.lovelady.com/misc/Rendered-square.png

Note this is 1920 x 1080, so 16:9, as was the source. But in order to achieve that, it had to put bars at the top and bottom. So clearly not the same aspect ratio within the image area.

Do you have anything selected in the Output Blanking menu option? That will cause bars to be put on

Do you have anything selected in the Output Blanking menu option? That will cause bars to be put on
I didn't find the setting you referred to, but it's a moot point. I can see on the timeline view that the rendered area does not cover the height of the timeline. (You can see that effect in the image mentioned below.)

I did find a way to do it, and it works, but I'm still baffled that I have to tell Resolve not to monkey with the aspect ratio - that Resolve's default position is to ignore the input aspect ratio!!!! - and that I have to jump through hoops - with each clip - in order to get the full original image, unaltered. Even in a 1920 x 1080 project when I import a 1920 x 1080 clip, I have to monkey with it to make it fit!!!!

I'm terribly confused why this seems to be only my issue, so I'd love to get the bottom of what I'm doing wrong. (Yes, it has to be me!)

Anyway, the solution I found was to go to the Inspector for each clip, and in the Retime and Scaling section, set Scaling to Fill as in the image here: http://www.lovelady.com/misc/Retime-Scale.png Note that I had to do this for each clip in my project.

I'd love to have a look at someone's workflow who does not have to do this. So if you know of a front-to-back tutorial where that talks about this, I'd appreciate your share.

Thanks for your time. I can live with this for now, and hope for something better down the road.

Dennis

I will have a look tonight but I'm guessing there are a few things wrong with your settings. For instance I see you had 1.3 Anamorphic set in the clip settings, not sure if you changed that yet or not. I need to have a look tonight to see if they've moved the Output Blanking menu option which used to be under the color menu, just in case that's selected.

Obviously some settings have been changed in your setup and I wonder if we can reset you to defaults

Thanks, blacksheep, that'd be great. W.r.t 1.3 aspect ratio: that was what it displayed after I had selected something else (probably NTSC 16:9), saved, and then returned later. None of this seems right to me.

Seems like lots of your settings are incorrect. I'd be happy to take a look, new to Resolve though I am, so if you'd like to export your project you can send it to me at sheepy (@) blacksheep.bike

If you could include the media files, may need to send it via one of those file sending services

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka