DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Resolve Question

Solsearcher

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi, I downloaded Resolve to have a go at it. I shot a vid H265 Raw 10 bit 4k 30fps. It of course looks flat and dull. I applied a LUT in Resolve and when I render it as an mp4 the playback is "choppy" for lack of a better word. "Jittery" may be a better word for it. When I'm panning slowly to the right or left it happens. If I watch the video pre-rendering, there is no choppiness. Any ideas what I've done to screw it up? I thought I had matched all the settings prior to rendering...dunno!

By the way, to clarify, I'm talking about it being choppy while viewing with VLC or Windows Media Player, NOT inside Resolve itself (although the rendered mp4 is choppy in Resolve as well). I have a 32G RAM, i7 Laptop w/ a GTX 1650 Ti graphics card. Not the best out there, but not crap either.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Last edited:
It may be a limitation with your playback software. I ran across this article about resolving choppiness in VLC a couple of days ago. Maybe there's a solution here.

Reactions: Solsearcher
It may be a limitation with your playback software. I ran across this article about resolving choppiness in VLC a couple of days ago. Maybe there's a solution here.

That did it for VLC playback...awesome...thank you!

Reactions: MS Coast
Likely a limitation of your hardware/software if 4K resolution or higher. If you are uploading to YouTube, no concern; just do it. To play on your own hardware just render/export in 1090p or about 85% compression if rendered in 4K. Try some options to see what works for your system.

If it's the free version or resolve it does not have hardware accelerated h264/h265 decoding. So that puts a bit of a performance hit (though I thought the free version wouldn't even load 10bit h265 files to begin with edit: I just remembered that it'll work fine with the lower 4:2:0 H265 10bit on the free version, but not 4:2:2 H264/H265 10bit with higher color data such as from a Panasonic GH5, the drone only record 4:2:0).

The other thing is to make sure the timeline frame rate is exactly the same as the file frame rate to avoid jitters from retiming. Since it's a consumer drone they're usually not the exact number advertised in the app, 30fps is actually 29.97 (likewise 24fps is actually 23.98, 60 is 59.97, etc) and that makes a big difference if you drop a 29.97 clip onto 30fps timeline. Not too many consumer devices record a true 24fps or the number they show on the setting.

That's also important to know if you're mixing media from other devices such as a phone, make sure they all use the same frame rate to avoid retiming issues.

Also 10bit is a bit heavy (and yes it'll look flat in a sdr rec 709 color space if you're doing dlog), suggested to use proxies if you need smoother preview playback.

Far as utility luts I like Leemings air 2s luts for converting HLG and Dlog to rec.709 if your main target is YouTube/etc.

Last edited:
If it's the free version or resolve it does not have hardware accelerated h264/h265 decoding. So that puts a bit of a performance hit (though I thought the free version wouldn't even load 10bit h265 files to begin with edit: I just remembered that it'll work fine with the lower 4:2:0 H265 10bit on the free version, but not 4:2:2 H264/H265 10bit with higher color data such as from a Panasonic GH5, the drone only record 4:2:0).

The other thing is to make sure the timeline frame rate is exactly the same as the file frame rate to avoid jitters from retiming. Since it's a consumer drone they're usually not the exact number advertised in the app, 30fps is actually 29.97 (likewise 24fps is actually 23.98, 60 is 59.97, etc) and that makes a big difference if you drop a 29.97 clip onto 30fps timeline. Not too many consumer devices record a true 24fps or the number they show on the setting.

That's also important to know if you're mixing media from other devices such as a phone, make sure they all use the same frame rate to avoid retiming issues.

Also 10bit is a bit heavy (and yes it'll look flat in a sdr rec 709 color space if you're doing dlog), suggested to use proxies if you need smoother preview playback.

Far as utility luts I like Leemings air 2s luts for converting HLG and Dlog to rec.709 if your main target is YouTube/etc.
I had matched the timeline frame rate with the file frame rate (or so I thought), but yes, it's the free version. You're correct, it shows 29.97 fps rather than 30 fps. I clearly need to do a bit more "lernin'". I have all versions of Adobe, but was hoping that the learning curve was not as steep for Resolve. I don't think it is, but I'm going to need to learn more about it's limitations.

I had matched the timeline frame rate with the file frame rate (or so I thought), but yes, it's the free version. You're correct, it shows 29.97 fps rather than 30 fps. I clearly need to do a bit more "lernin'". I have all versions of Adobe, but was hoping that the learning curve was not as steep for Resolve. I don't think it is, but I'm going to need to learn more about it's limitations.
If you're on windows, the free version of resolve has a crappy native h264 encoder for output. I recommend exporting as DNxHR HQ and using Handbrake (free) to use either software or hardware accelerated encoding of either h264/h265 for the best final result (and that way you won't have to pay for the studio version of resolve just to have better output rendering for uploading.

Since the free version of resolve is not hardware accelerated, if you can find an app to transcode your H265 10bit footage to DNxHR HQX (10bit, HQ is 8bit) , it'll be a lot less strain on your system when it doesn't have to decode the h265 compression. But you can configure optimized media to do the same and make sure to check the box "use optimized media" on the render/delivery portion.

If you're on windows, the free version of resolve has a crappy native h264 encoder for output. I recommend exporting as DNxHR HQ and using Handbrake (free) to use either software or hardware accelerated encoding of either h264/h265 for the best final result (and that way you won't have to pay for the studio version of resolve just to have better output rendering for uploading.

Since the free version of resolve is not hardware accelerated, if you can find an app to transcode your H265 10bit footage to DNxHR HQX (10bit, HQ is 8bit) , it'll be a lot less strain on your system when it doesn't have to decode the h265 compression. But you can configure optimized media to do the same and make sure to check the box "use optimized media" on the render/delivery portion.
Just downloaded Handbrake. I'll have a go at it. Thanks very much for the info!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22