DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Resource for Explaining Video Cache and Other Video Settings

MRomine

Reactions
Anyone know of a good resource that explains the why and why nots of the various video cache settings of the DJI Go 4 app?

Such as, "Cache Locally When Recording". Why or why not?

"Record Audio with Video". Resons for doing so.

"Cache to SD card." Again, why or why not?

Etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Once Year
"Cache Locally When Recording"
This will save a low quality copy of the video you're recording on your mobile device. If your mobile device has poor specs, enabling this setting could cause it to lag.

"Record Audio with Video"
This will record the audio from the microphone on your mobile device and save it with the cached video on your mobile device.

"Cache to SD card"
This will save the cached video on the SD card in your mobile device instead of in the memory on your mobile device.

This will save a low quality copy of the video you're recording on your mobile device. If your mobile device has poor specs, enabling this setting could cause it to lag.

This will record the audio from the microphone on your mobile device and save it with the cached video on your mobile device.

This will save the cached video on the SD card in your mobile device instead of in the memory on your mobile device.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help out.

Reactions: JS1600
Too funny we were just talking about this. I could have sworn a year ago every video had a second copy in 720p or 1080p. I did some research I believe they stopped after ver 406 because I save to sd , cache on every now and then it save to gallery on android also apple i believe now it shows up in go4 app only to be DL

Reactions: MRomine
I am a newbie, and have only flown my M2Z once so far. Been reading the manuals, watching YouTube, and of course soaking in all the knowledge available on this forum I have had a question about the video cache settings as well, and thoug. And was wondering about the option that prevents more video from being cached when the allocated cache memory is full. This totally confused me since the defaults (I believe) were cache size limit of 2GB and then to prevent further recording when cache is full. It drove all kinds of questions. The comment about performance has me thinking I should just turn off the cache recordings completely (I use an older iPhone 6s). I would appreciate it if someone could answer these questions for me.

1) What is the purpose and advantage to creating a cache of video when it is stored on the SD card anyway?
2) If there is an advantage, is there really a significant impact on performance on an iOS device and will it drain the battery quicker?
3) If one does create a cache, why would anyone choose to not have it deleted automatically as the allocated space becomes full?

Any advice would be appreciated as I narrow in on my settings. I will continue to search the forums for past answers to these, but it would be great if someone could answer these quickly for me.
Many thanks!

Allan

Reactions: JS1600
What is the purpose and advantage to creating a cache of video when it is stored on the SD card anyway?
If you lose your drone, you'll have a local copy of the video it recorded. That's one reason many people like to cache the video locally.

is there really a significant impact on performance on an iOS device and will it drain the battery quicker?
It depends on which mobile device you're using. You'll need to try it to see how it causes DJI GO to lag. I've never seen anyone mention saving the cache cause the battery to drain faster.

If one does create a cache, why would anyone choose to not have it deleted automatically as the allocated space becomes full?
Maybe they don't copy the cache off the mobile device after every flight?

Reactions: apeel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+