DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted air space - with a twist?

skyrex

Reactions
Since the decay of CASA's CIFT app, I've been poking around the OpenFly app we've been told to use as the replacement.
There is an area to North of me which is classed as restricted air space, following the advice from OpenSky and AirServices Australia (NAIPS) the area definitely is an active Military Fly area.

Going by the information in NAIPS the restriction is from "SFC" to "FL125" or ground to 12500ft. It's also time based from 6am to 10pm local time. (There is another technicality with that also).

However on select days they seemingly relax the vertical restriction from the above to 1000ft to FL125. I think this is where it gets interesting.

Use Caution.png

The area does not outright state "Do not fly" as other restricted areas do.
The restricted area warning states approval is required when the area is active.
The area is >30km away from the airport the restrictions are in place for..
The sunrise time according to OpenSky is ~30min before the air space changes from "deactivated" to "activated".

Going by what one would assume reasonable logic:

There is an approximate 30min window of a morning to fly, and/or on the selected days the activated airspace begins well above our 400ft limit, which means because at <400ft would be under the activated area and not within it, approval is not required?

Am I missing something obvious?

Is it an interesting place to fly ?
It can be a matter of a flight simply be done in another location further away it in another direction ?
You could legally have a window there according to CASAs official recommended app to fly, but might be just best to avoid it.

It is a very appealing place - Port Stephens in NSW.
Largely it would be for <5min flights at a time, get a couple photos of some fun in the sun and that's it.

Unfortunately the restricted space is a huge lateral area. There is no where else you could be outside of it and still be able to get close to the area.
There is also a medical helipad in the area but is uncontrolled and no instrument approach so it's a green light from CASA's perspective.
If it amounts to too much effort I'm happy to forgo the idea of getting a quick flight in up there, some others have done it some years ago in breach of the airspace, I don't want to be "that person" and drag the hobby down in the process.

Port Stephens.png

Lots to see up there, and up until the discontinuation of CIFT it was completely off limits unless you had a RePL/ReOC to even get a foot in the ATC door to request approval to fly.

I'm not sure why they are lifting the activated airspace to 1000ft, maybe to accommodate kite surfers or something on weekends, or give locals a rest from MIL training exercises, or allow low altitude joy-flights for cashed up Sydney-siders day tripping to the area. But if fellow drone users can also take advantage of it then power to us (of course while following CASA regulations).

The only other battle in some areas up there requires NPWS "approval" as it's largely a national parks out on the peninsula and surrounding beaches.
But I'd rather tackle that last knowing where I stand from CASA's perspective - I just have this gut feeling at the first request to a NPWS office(r) they will rebut with a largely uneducated "You can't fly here because we said so".
I guess I'd rather have that discussion with them being as pre-educated as I can be, and not make myself seem like I'm inexperienced and present myself as a potential issue for them.

Reactions: Nautidawg
Oh yeah, I know the area a bit, driven through a few times, driven Stockton beach, Anna Bay.
It is very nice, as is a lot of NSW coastline.

I learned a little from a bloke once about real airspace access, not the CASA apps which can blanket an area as no fly, when it is fine to fly at certain times.
I started researching it, opened an Airservices Australia account, viewed the online airspace maps etc, read up NOTAMS, and sure enough that area can be flown (the fellow was a Sydney sider and flew there often).

Google Airservices Australia NAIPS, create an account and go have a look around, the maps are cool.
From memory you can look up NOTAMS for an area, and if all clear fly (there might be other considerations, but it's a start).

Can't help with NPWS, except I would have a one page well through out flight plan, brief and bullet pointed, showing consideration for the location, other park users, animals etc, and talk to the local rangers if possible.
If showing a dawn flight when no ones around, 15 - 20 mins and done, you'd possibly get the ok.
Maybe offer some footage in return.

Reactions: skyrex
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah it's a nice area, usually always a great day poking around the small beaches there or going for a bit of "scenic exercise" up Tomaree mountain and down again. As kids our Grandparents used to have an onsite caravan at Anna Bay, was always the go to for school holidays etc.

I've got myself a NAIPS login after being directed there by OpenSky, that's where I've been scratching around in to find the specific NOTAMS.

Good idea about presenting a flight plan to NPWS, good way to re-iterate sensibility and respect for the area/anyone or thing in the area, etc.

Presumably the logic in the "activated" to "deactivated" times and flight levels means even more enjoyment by all of the area, including those businesses presumably wanting to get a slice of the income pie that could be made on weekends doing helicopter joy flights, etc.

I guess as long as RPA/UAS users keep their wits about them and don't abuse the privilege, and similarly copters/microlites keep aren't pacing up and down the coastlines at 300ft it's a win-win for everyone.

Since the decay of CASA's CIFT app, I've been poking around the OpenFly app we've been told to use as the replacement.
There is an area to North of me which is classed as restricted air space, following the advice from OpenSky and AirServices Australia (NAIPS) the area definitely is an active Military Fly area.

Going by the information in NAIPS the restriction is from "SFC" to "FL125" or ground to 12500ft. It's also time based from 6am to 10pm local time. (There is another technicality with that also).

However on select days they seemingly relax the vertical restriction from the above to 1000ft to FL125. I think this is where it gets interesting.

View attachment 91460

The area does not outright state "Do not fly" as other restricted areas do.
The restricted area warning states approval is required when the area is active.
The area is >30km away from the airport the restrictions are in place for..
The sunrise time according to OpenSky is ~30min before the air space changes from "deactivated" to "activated".

Going by what one would assume reasonable logic:

There is an approximate 30min window of a morning to fly, and/or on the selected days the activated airspace begins well above our 400ft limit, which means because at <400ft would be under the activated area and not within it, approval is not required?

Am I missing something obvious?
I have the same "issue" military airbase about 20k's away and sometimes they do "practise" runs over our suburb (sometimes very low) should i register an account with CASA or best not to?

I have the same "issue" military airbase about 20k's away and sometimes they do "practise" runs over our suburb (sometimes very low) should i register an account with CASA or best not to?

You'll probably have to get an ARN (Aviation Reference Number) from CASA is the near future anyway.
It'll be part for the process to get your (simple hobbyist) testing done and register yourself and / or drones when the new rules come in . . . supposedly early this year, but with the current things going on, it might well be a lot later !!

The Airservices / NAIPS stuff is separate to CASA (or it might ba a part of it, not sure), and you can do this for interest if you like, it is interesting poking around the map and various airspace categories.

Reactions: CraigObe
You'll probably have to get an ARN (Aviation Reference Number) from CASA is the near future anyway.
It'll be part for the process to get your (simple hobbyist) testing done and register yourself and / or drones when the new rules come in . . . supposedly early this year, but with the current things going on, it might well be a lot later !!

The Airservices / NAIPS stuff is separate to CASA (or it might ba a part of it, not sure), and you can do this for interest if you like, it is interesting poking around the map and various airspace categories.
Thanks think best to get an ARN then

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf