DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted height/distance when flying without phone or goggles?

wsalopek

Reactions
Hi folks...

I have a Mavic Pro, white goggles, and of course a phone running DJI 4 Go. I've been flying for 3-4 years with this Mavic, but maybe never without either the phone or goggles.

I have beginner mode turned OFF - verified and double-checked and turned on/off a few times as well.

If I try to fly with ONLY the controller, I am limited to 100-ish feet of altitude, and 150-ish feet distance. If I connect either the phone OR the goggles, I can fly unrestricted.

Is this normal?

Thanks...

It's normal for controller-only operation to be limited in both range and height. Pretty sure it's in the manual.

I've seen controller only flight limited in distance and height for more recent drones, but not sure about the M1P etc.
I admit have only flown once (5 or so years ago) controller only, very short and close, don't recall if there were any restrictions on the screen of the controller.

I've also read the M1P manual many times, and don't recall ever seen any reference to this, but this is not unusual for DJI manuals to have some information simply not in the full manual.

Buuut . . . having a quick Google, the manual comes up in a link with the following text . . .

19 Dec 2017 — * For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during ...

Obviously during ... would be flight without the device / app running.

I just went through the manual again, and STILL couldn't find that text though :confused:

If anyone DOES find it, could you post the page number ??

I just went through the manual again, and STILL couldn't find that text though :confused:

If anyone DOES find it, could you post the page number ??

Near the bottom of the 2nd page...
There are also height restrictions (5m and 30m) listed on page 53 regarding weak GPS signal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 11 15.52.15 .png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 11 15.52.15 .png
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Near the bottom of the 2nd page...

Oh, no wonder I missed it, always skip to the chapters !
Yes, other limitations are placed in the relative sections of the manual, I would like to see that tidbit put in with the Go4 app or Controller section too . . . although they wouldn't do it now this late in the game for the M1P.

Reactions: Elthree
Thanks very much guys - and then also remember that the restriction was lifted when I connected the white goggles (while still not using the app).

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Every so often, I will get locked out at 96’ elevation and about 200’ distance. Says my account is not logged in. iPad is always set to airplane mode and I never log out.

Thanks very much guys - and then also remember that the restriction was lifted when I connected the white goggles (while still not using the app).

Hey, that's good to know too !
I have the RE goggles and so far have used them only for a 2nd person to take a pilots seat, while I use the ipad and Go4 as usual.

The goggles has telemetry, so maybe it runs off the app and main device, or has some sort of Go4 basic firmware too ?
With your goggles only when flying, do you still get alt, speed, distance etc ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian