DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home altitude issue

Dharris6891

Reactions
While learning my new MA2 this weekend I had an interesting issue. When pressing the return to home button the drone would turn, and head back to home then stop, ascend above my set rth altitude and continue back. It did this a few times on each return to home, sometimes ending up being 50' or more above the set rth altitude, unless I set my max flight altitude lower. When I set the max altitude lower,, it would acscned right to it. I was nowhere near any restricted zones, had great GPS lock, and had no obstacles nearby. I always make a habit of hovering after take off to verify good gps signal, make sure the home point is correct, and do a visual check of the surrounding skies before leaving my take off area. I was over water when initiating rth, and the slope up from the water seems to be where the "stop and ascend" happened each time. It just seemed to completely disregard my set rth altitude. Has anyone seen this or is this just normal?

Hi "D", that's a little weird, since you have great GPS lock (I believe should be at least 10), it should stop, ascend above RTH, also depends how far were you from your home point. Reading at the manual the scenario you show is not what the manual reads (at least that is what I can interpret.) Maybe someone who had this situation can comment on you issue.

The RTH is on page 13 of the manual for reference. Good luck!

I was only flying 500'-700' away from "home" at the time. I've looked at the manual and can't find a reason. I had well over 10 sats at the time also. It very well could have been a sun issue also, from my searched and reading. The furthest I flew this weekend was 1600' because I had a good backdrop to be able to see the drone clearly.

The easiest way to check this would be to set up a test where the return path is nowhere near flying towards the sun.
When I get some free time I plan on testing this.

I have had this issue also and sometimes it does it and then next time all is good. I thought at first it was reflections from the snow on the ground but it's also happened over darker wooded areas. Not consistent so no idea what is happening. The data all looks good and no obstructions. As I'm always waiting for it to happen now as soon as it stops and starts to climb I just cancel RTH and bring it back. Even when it does climb it will still come back but it is a bit unnerving seeing it do this.

I think when it comes to technical issues a call to DJI is always a good choice if you can't find an easy solution. The problem could be nothing, but then it could be something. A call to DJI with a ticket number will get you on record for an issue. So if there is ever a warranty question where expiration comes into play down the road you can always point to an earlier time when it developed. As much as I gripe about some of the things DJI does, I have found them responsive and usually helpful when it comes to talking through and solving issues.

I think when it comes to technical issues a call to DJI is always a good choice if you can't find an easy solution. The problem could be nothing, but then it could be something. A call to DJI with a ticket number will get you on record for an issue. So if there is ever a warranty question where expiration comes into play down the road you can always point to an earlier time when it developed. As much as I gripe about some of the things DJI does, I have found them responsive and usually helpful when it comes to talking through and solving issues.
Thank you for the advice. I will do that if my testing shows more issues. At this point, I'm thinking it was the downward VPS. I was over water for one and second it seemed to be keeping the RTH altitude between the highest object below it. still strange, but more testing and contact DJI if it continues to be an issue.

Reactions: vindibona1
Are the sensors clean?
One of the guys i fly with had a similar issue and it stopped when he cleaned the sensors. Dirty fingerprints seemed to be his issue.
I keep a soft lense cloth in the case niw and make a point of checking mine as part of preflight

Are the sensors clean?
One of the guys i fly with had a similar issue and it stopped when he cleaned the sensors. Dirty fingerprints seemed to be his issue.
I keep a soft lense cloth in the case niw and make a point of checking mine as part of preflight
I'll be sure to check this when I get to test it. The next bit here locally looks to be pretty windy so it may be a bit. Thanks for the info!

I did call DJI and talked to them for quite a while and the conclusion was that the snow was the problem. Just the way the sun was getting reflected off the snow. I'm not totally convinced and I'm keeping a pretty close track of my flights. Today three flights and no issues with RTH.

I'm planning on heading out to some old family property this Sunday with both of my drones. I'll do some testing and report back on how the MA2 acts when returning to home.

I took the MA2 out yesterday and flew 2 batteries. I had the same issues with RTH. I was over high desert type terrain, zero water this time. I tried it into the sun, away from the sun, etc. same issue. this time it would even ascend well above my max altitude if I let it. I will be contacting DJI to further diag the issue.

I spoke with DJI and they recommended using my care refresh to get it replaced. I'm somewhat hesitant to do this as I don't feel it's an issue that should fall under the care refresh program, being only a month old and never being crashed or even mishandled. They didn't ask for logs or anything else, they asked if I had updated the firmware (yes), refreshed the firmware (yes) and tried restarting everything (yes) to try and remedy the issue. the only thing affected is the RTH and it trying to climb well above the set altitude as stated above. What is everyone's opinion? should I send it in for repair, use care refresh, or just deal with not having RTH at the proper set altitude?

Last edited:
I spoke with DJI and they recommended using my care refresh to get it replaced. I'm somewhat hesitant to do this as I don't feel it's an issue that should fall under the care refresh program, being only a month old. They didn't ask for logs or anything else, asked if I had updated the firmware (yes), refreshed the firmware (yes) and tried restarting everything (yes) to try and remedy the issue. the only thing affected is the RTH and it trying to climb well above the set altitude as stated above. What is everyone's opinion? should I send it in for repair, use care refresh, or just deal with not having RTH at the proper set altitude?
Mine does it some of the time and I can't predict it. I thought it was the snow on the ground causing reflections but now no snow so that wasn't an issue. I'm not going to send mine in as I don't always use the RTH and it's not consistent right now. I need a few more tests.

Reactions: Dharris6891
Mine does it some of the time and I can't predict it. I thought it was the snow on the ground causing reflections but now no snow so that wasn't an issue. I'm not going to send mine in as I don't always use the RTH and it's not consistent right now. I need a few more tests.
This is kind of the way I'm leaning as well. I can always send it for care refresh later if it's out of warranty or give it some time, maybe a future firmware update will fix this behavior... I figured the first instance was due to being over water, but this weekend was over dirt, small bushes, and short cedar type trees. all varying terrain with no water.

This is kind of the way I'm leaning as well. I can always send it for care refresh later if it's out of warranty or give it some time, maybe a future firmware update will fix this behavior... I figured the first instance was due to being over water, but this weekend was over dirt, small bushes, and short cedar type trees. all varying terrain with no water.
Send it back under the one year warranty and save the Refresh for when you crash due to pilot error... as we all have at some time.

I just got the air 2s, and I am having the same issue. I was in a wide open field. 23 satellites connected, only had it a few hundred feet from me (first time droner). I dont like it let it out of site yet. Now I dont even have confidence to let it out of site. What happens when I cant see it and use the RTH feature? I purchased mine from best buy and they have a 15% restocking fee. I also was testing on the side of my house and RTH and it wouldnt go over my house to land in the back yard. Even though avoid obstacles setting was enabled. It just hovered. So again, what happens if I cant see it and it just hovers on RTH or keeps ascending? DJI said I have to contact Best Buy who likely wont do anything, and then ill have to send it to them (DJI) and most likely pay to have it repaired. No crashes yet, and I havent even had it a week. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Dharris6891
I've resigned myself to just dealing with it. It doesn't happen all the time for me. Sometike when using rth it works fine, other times, it tries to keep gaining altitude. If I use rth now, I watch carefully. I always keep VLOS, so the rth deal for me isn't a huge issue. It's annoying it doesn't work properly all the time though.

Reactions: RichardNoggin
I am having the same problem with my MA2, which is less than 1 1/2 years old. I have only had this happen on cold days (ambient temp ~25F), and I can easily switch to manual flying, get it near home, and land using RTH, which usually results in a spot-on landing. I will see what happens when we get into spring and warmer temps. Not ready to hit the panic button yet! What were the ambient temps for you guys?

I went back out today and experimented a little further, still 25 degrees F. The altitude held steady the whole time I was flying manually, but as soon as I hit RTH it began stopping, ascending, moving forward, stopping and ascending again, over and over. If the altitude anomaly were due to the downward sensors, wouldn't it happen when flying manually too? I think there is something else amiss here, and it is connected with how RTH was programmed. Any ideas would be welcome!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S