DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home Failure

grgguy

Reactions
So I was flying this morning. I got a RC connection error I was around 1200 feet away and 300 up. So my first thought was I'll just bring it back to me. But because I looked at the remote I had lost my visual on the drone itself. So I go to the return home button. I hit it. It starts beeping. I'm watching the telemetry.. I notice that the Magic is going up.. and I thjnk. I haven't changed the return to home parameters ? What the heck. Then I notice that the mavic in only inching towards me in bits and pieces. So not only is it ascending and but it's only coming back to me at like a couple feet at a time.. Then it would stop and then we come up come back at me a little bit more.. I had over 60% left on the battery so I wasn't like been panic mode or anything but I was starting to get concerned that it was going up.. when I got to about 600 ft I said wait a second here and that's why I backed out of the app and I tried to go back in... It wouldn't connect. So what I did then is I I remember that if it loses contact with the remote it just supposed to come home So I turned off the remote.. I turned it back on almost immediately the app restarted everything came back over in the came back But the drone still wasn't coming back to me I actually had to x out of the return to home feature and manually flight back to me. So I landed it turn it off turn off the remote cleared the app from the phone started the whole thing again. Took the drone off off the ground took it up to about 200 ft and took it out about 500 ft and hit the home button again and it did the same thing. This time I had line of sight it was no problem. I just brought it right back to me. So what's going on here ? What could this be ? Why is the return to home function not working ? I think I got lucky today in getting it back. I don't want to lose it What do I got to do to fix it? Has anybody had this happen to them. I've never even heard of this happening before....

So I was flying this morning. I got a RC connection error I was around 1200 feet away and 300 up. So my first thought was I'll just bring it back to me. But because I looked at the remote I had lost my visual on the drone itself. So I go to the return home button. I hit it. It starts beeping. I'm watching the telemetry.. I notice that the Magic is going up.. and I thjnk. I haven't changed the return to home parameters ? What the heck. Then I notice that the mavic in only inching towards me in bits and pieces. So not only is it ascending and but it's only coming back to me at like a couple feet at a time.. Then it would stop and then we come up come back at me a little bit more.. I had over 60% left on the battery so I wasn't like been panic mode or anything but I was starting to get concerned that it was going up.. when I got to about 600 ft I said wait a second here and that's why I backed out of the app and I tried to go back in... It wouldn't connect. So what I did then is I I remember that if it loses contact with the remote it just supposed to come home So I turned off the remote.. I turned it back on almost immediately the app restarted everything came back over in the came back But the drone still wasn't coming back to me I actually had to x out of the return to home feature and manually flight back to me. So I landed it turn it off turn off the remote cleared the app from the phone started the whole thing again. Took the drone off off the ground took it up to about 200 ft and took it out about 500 ft and hit the home button again and it did the same thing. This time I had line of sight it was no problem. I just brought it right back to me. So what's going on here ? What could this be ? Why is the return to home function not working ? I think I got lucky today in getting it back. I don't want to lose it What do I got to do to fix it? Has anybody had this happen to them. I've never even heard of this happening before....
It's all speculation without the flight logs. If you post the flight logs here, one of the gurus will have a look and be able to tell you exactly what happened.

What were you flying over at the time? That inching towards you sounds similar to obstacle avoidance trying to work its way over something.

Only the logs will give definitive answers.

How and where do I get my logs ?

There was something that I failed to mention... I don't know why I failed to mention it but nonetheless. I have recently repaired my Camera/Gimball with a new flex ribbon and the camera control wire.. The camera itself runs fine. However I'm still getting a gimbal overload about 1/2 the time. This morning when flying it had the gimbal overload warning on screen so I imagine it was overloading. I don't know how that would affect the GPS but I'm sure someone's going to tell me that it indeed does. I hope that's all it is. I hope it's something as simple and stupid as that.. My apologies for failing to mention it in the original post.

The following link explains how to access your log files:

Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

If the sun was in front of drone could have been fooling sensors

It wont come back to you until it has reached its RTH height.

Isn't it supposed to go up to the pre-determined RTH flight, then straight to your position and then down? Did you allow it to go up to the pre-determine (RTH) pre-set height?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I had the same exact problem with my Mav Pro.(for about a month 6 weeks ago)
Turned out to be the opto or sonic sensors.

Using the DJI Assistant 2 App with drone connected to computer, following all online instructions Also recalibrated Compass and IMU for good measure. Fixed the problem completely.

This all happened about a month ago here at my flying area. Have not had a repeat of the problem so far. So suggest you do the same and let us all know if it works for you. BTW - the App will not work with Linux Mint Op Sys. Will only work with Windows or Mac.

Last edited:
It wont come back to you until it has reached its RTH height.
It had ascended to 600 ft which I don't have it set for I have a set for 75 meters. So to send it to its height there was nothing It was already there actually.. It would start to fly maybe a couple feet and then stop flying a couple feet then stop flying a couple feet then stop.. So on and so forth all the while ascending going upwards...

I had the same exact problem with my Mav Pro.(for about a month 6 weeks ago)
Turned out to be the opto or sonic sensors.

Using the DJI Assistant 2 App with drone connected to computer, following all online instructions Also recalibrated Compass and IMU for good measure. Fixed the problem completely.

This all happened about a month ago here at my flying area. Have not had a repeat of the problem so far. So suggest you do the same and let us all know if it works for you. BTW - the App will not work with Linux Mint Op Sys. Will only work with Windows or Mac.
Right on so so hooking it up and doing the calibrating the the sensors you're seeing that fixed it for you.. I'm definitely I'm going to give this a try. Thank you sir. Thank you very much !

Isn't it supposed to go up to the pre-determined RTH flight, then straight to your position and then down? Did you allow it to go up to the pre-determine (RTH) pre-set height?
I'm pretty sure I was above the predetermined height of 75 m which is what 225' somewhere close to that, right ?. and then once it passed and kept going up and got to around 600 feet that's when I stopped it and thought to myself "okay that's enough". I think it was 600'. I could be wrong I'm going to post on logs everybody can see what I'm talking about but I'm pretty sure I was around 600' like I said though. I could definitely be wrong. It might be less but it was well above the predetermined hieght or what I had set in the app of 75 m.

So I'm waiting for Air Data to compile all of my data My question is this. The remote control disconnected how is it going to have that flight data. Will the date be from maybe the drone itself. So should I pull the SD card in the drone and get the info from there ? I'm not sure how that works. Anyhow that's what I am waiting on before I post up those logs. I can post up the raw logs from the app. I'll do that if anyone wants me to. Let me know...

Happy Father's Day to the Dad's out there..

So I'm waiting for Air Data to compile all of my data My question is this. The remote control disconnected how is it going to have that flight data. Will the date be from maybe the drone itself. So should I pull the SD card in the drone and get the info from there ? I'm not sure how that works. Anyhow that's what I am waiting on before I post up those logs. I can post up the raw logs from the app. I'll do that if anyone wants me to. Let me know...

Happy Father's Day to the Dad's out there..

The remote controller was obviously not disconnected during the entire flight, and was obviously connected when you were testing RTH and it failed to return properly.

The flight data is not on the SD card, it's in the phone or tablet you were using.
There were instructions in post #5 or here are some simpler ones.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gave you.

Or .. just post that .txt file here.

The solution to your mystery is in that data.

Here is the link to the flight data
Analysis of your flight data shows that the Mavic came part way home and stopped to climb over an obstacle (probably the sun ?)

Here's the long version:
Your RTH height was set at 246 ft.
The data shows you flying out at 363 feet and losing signal at 1:20 and 1790 feet away.
When signal is regained the drone is returning in RTH but it is 679 feet high and has come back to 948 feet from home.
Your Mavic had come back 1100 ft and interestingly, although it was still in RTH and had turned to face toward home, it's hovering rather than flying forwards.

There is an advisory which said: Downlink Restored (after 4m 30.2s)
You had lost the downlink which would have made you think that signal was completely lost, but you still had the uplink and full control of the drone.

When the downlink is restored, the data shows that you kept the right stick pushed hard forward until 6:24.9 but the drone was hardly moving.
During the missing 4:30, we can only guess what might have taken the drone up to 678 feet, but the altitude continues to increase without any left stick input.
At 5:29.2 there is a message advising that the drone is braking to avoid an obstacle and at 6:02 you pull the left stick down and the drone initially climbs from 700 ft to 720 and then starts to descend to 691 ft where it stops descending for another OA message.
Shortly afterwards you cancelled the RTH and entered Sport Mode and the drone began responding normally to joystick inputs again and you brought it home manually.

I saw the avoiding obstacle thing when I was looking at the data. The sun wasn't out it was overcast. As I said though it went up all by it's self.. I had lost visual on it. Simi assumed that if it was coming home it would be pointed in the correct way that's why you see the right stick slammed. The left stick I was only trying to prevent it for going up any further.. When I finally got control again it was only after shutting the remote down and the app. When I turned the remote back on it automatically reopened the app. I saw the app telling me to " go fly" or the blue button when it first connects... I hit it and had camera feed instantly so turned off the RTH and brought it in myself....

All that said so the incremental retuning to home pace or moving a couple feet at a time was it thinking it was avoiding crashing. The return to home feature was fine it was the using obstacle avoidance during return to home that was broken... That's why it would only go if you feel that time interesting very interesting yeah yeah ******* again

Have you followed my advice and Used the online Assistant 2 from DJI to calibrate the forward and downward sensors? - Do this (if you haven't already) and If you get the good results that fixed the same problem I had with my MP1 exactly as yours, you will then be happy to have your MP return to normal once again - Try it and let everyone know the results!

Hey guys,

I just got my first drone Air 2s last week and had this happen to me over the weekend. In a wide open field, nothing around me and it kept climbing to 175 feet (high enough for my 5th flight lol). Not being comfortable with it, I brought it back manually as I could still see it. Failed 3 times on Saturday and worked maybe 3 times, all in the same location. I will try the suggested fix with calibrating the sensors.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU