DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home is way off!

Shacky

Reactions
I'm having a tough time with RTH. It's usually 10-20 feet off. I re-calibrated the imu after refrigerating the Mavic for an hour. I re-calibrate the compass every time I fly.

Here is a picture of the imu results after new calibration. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0153.PNG
    IMG_0153.PNG
    310.2 KB · Views: 127
No, but it's common with IMU calibration. If that's not so with the Mavic, I would like to hear it.

Stop recalibration the compass, what's the point? Doing this is definitely not recommended and may be leading to your issues.

Are you using Litchi or Go?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: 604Pilot
That's the first time I've ever heard someone recommend to not recalibrate your compass on a regular basis. I recalibrate once a day or if I move locations significantly.

That's the first time I've ever heard someone recommend to not recalibrate your compass on a regular basis. I recalibrate once a day or if I move locations significantly.

Yup, asking for trouble to calibrate your compass everytime you move.
Search on here or Inspirepilots for reasoning behind the theory

OK, I read Msingers compass calibration guide. It seems different from what I recall reading on the Phantom Pilots forum, but OK, I will gladly change my compass re-calibration practice. Still even when the Mavic gets reasonably close to the home point, it lands several feet away. I thought the Mavic took a picture at takeoff and would use that information on landing to get right on the take off location. I'm using a styrofoam board with a big circle X on it and it hasn't landed on the board yet. Any ideas how to improve this?

OK, I read Msingers compass calibration guide. It seems different from what I recall reading on the Phantom Pilots forum, but OK, I will gladly change my compass re-calibration practice. Still even when the Mavic gets reasonably close to the home point, it lands several feet away. I thought the Mavic took a picture at takeoff and would use that information on landing to get right on the take off location. I'm using a styrofoam board with a big circle X on it and it hasn't landed on the board yet. Any ideas how to improve this?
In order for it to establish a 'snapshot' for better RTH accuracy, once you have taken off allow the aircraft to hover in above the take off spot for a few seconds (5-6 seconds).
You should then find it RTH more accurately

Thanks for that tip. I do let it hover for a bit. Anything else I can do?

What are other people experiencing? How close to your takeoff point is the Mavic landing when using RTH?

Thanks for that tip. I do let it hover for a bit. Anything else I can do?
There's a height sweet spot, I'm not sure what it is. I'm still trying to figure it out. Hopefully someone pegs down an exact routine that works 100 percent of the time.

There's a height sweet spot, I'm not sure what it is. I'm still trying to figure it out. Hopefully someone pegs down an exact routine that works 100 percent of the time.
The manual says go up 30 feet and give it a second or two. I flew about an hour ago, I have a landing pad and when I hit RTH it came home and landed right on the pad. I was amazed!

Haven't tried that! Thanks for the tip. I will try it tomorrow!

Have to say that I was amused that this first thing he did was re-calibrate the compass.
Even better -- he notes in the video that he believes calibrating the compass before each flight will make the landing more precise.

I guess that goes to show you there's just no telling.
I never recalibrate unless the app tells me to.

I will say Litchi does not appear to have the precision landing available, if so it hasn't worked for me but in Go it works fine.

Ok, tried a couple flights and found that if I take off and hover at 20 feet and count to 10, the return to home was spot-on twice in a row. When I did it at 30 feet the landing was off a couple feet, but 20 was within inches. This is only based on a couple flights but I am glad that I'm getting it figured out.
I missed the part until it was mentioned in this thread that you were supposed to do something like that. I thought hovering after auto take-off (about 4 feet) would be fine, but, it's clearly not. I've only used Go so far with the Mavic, but may do a Litchi flight today.

Reactions: kmaluo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User