DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home path

Raptorman

Reactions
I never tried this with my previous drones, not sure why, but I'm curious as to the path the drone takes when returning to home. The simple solution is to climb to the height specified in the app and fly directly back (straight path) to the launch point, but that could be a problem if there's obstructions along the way. Another choice is to have the drone retrace the path it took to get where it was and in that way reduce the chance that it will have an obstruction to deal with, but that would presume the path out was clear of any obstructions and that's not a sure thing. Additionally, retracing the route would, I think, be dependent on battery power remaining and the general direction of the wind -- both of which the drone should know. That is, if RTH was initiated when the battery was at, say, 60% and there was no wind to speak of the path home could be retraced with battery to spare, but if the battery was at 40% when RTH was initiated the drone would pretty much have to take the direct (shortest route) back home.

So, all that being said, my guess is the drone will take a direct route back after climbing to the prescribed height so if there's an obstruction in the way you either have to count on the sensors to detect and avoid OR you deactivate RTH as soon as you regain signal and before the obstruction if possible.

I only had a RTH happen to me once with the P4P and I was able to cancel RTH after only about 30 seconds when the signal returned -- if I remember correctly it seemed to take a direct route back.

Brian

RTH behavior is contingent on a lot of factors and is documented in detail in the user manual. It is one of those rare things DJI explains well in the user manual. Also note that the MA2 seems to have a new variation of RTH, power saving RTH.
Screenshot_20200520-090124.png

Reactions: EricMeyer
So, all that being said, my guess is the drone will take a direct route back ...
There's no need to guess, and guessing risks making an incorrect assumption.
There are different RTH methods used by different DJI models.
Read the manual for yours to find out exactly what it does.
The simple solution is to climb to the height specified in the app and fly directly back (straight path) to the launch point, but that could be a problem if there's obstructions along the way.
That's no problem unless you fly without setting an appropriate RTH height.

I need to download the user manual. It doesn't look to me like the power saving RTH is going to make much difference.

Brian

I need to download the user manual. It doesn't look to me like the power saving RTH is going to make much difference.

Brian
You really should read the user manual. You will be surprised by the detailed info contained in there, especially regarding RTH. I really don't understand why DJI doesn't ship a printed version together with the drone; saving on paper and saving the planet may be - but somethings are worth the paper they are printed on and a manual for such a complicated device is definitely one.

I appreciate DJI NOT including a paper Manual. I like having it in my iPhone. If someone insists on a paper hard copy, print it out. I have the manual for both the Mavic Pro and the Go 4 App in an attractive folder ????

The manual is also available in the DJI app you fly with.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada