DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home problem

David2531

Reactions
I am new to drones and just got the mavic mini. So far I am enjoying it but I am having an issue with the return to home function when I press the return to home button it will just land wherever it is at it does not matter whether I do it from the controller or the app it does the same thing. Anyone else have this problem or know what may be causing it. Thanks!

Two things come to mind. If you don't have a good GPS signal, it doesn't know where to return to. With GPS, there are several behaviors depending on the drone's distance from the home point. If close, the drone will just land. The particulars are in the manual under intelligent RTH.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Cool! I read where someone launch by the water's edge and went flying over the water. They lost their control link over the water but close to the home point. The RTH put the drone in the drink.

They lost their control link over the water but close to the home point. The RTH put the drone in the drink.
I have to beg to differ on that. Unless the pilot was a complete idiot. RTH should never be set that low. Been flying too long so thats an easy answer.

I wasn't referring to setting the rth altitude too low. For the MA (can't speak to the MM) if the unit is within 5 meters of the home point, the RTH will just land the unit. The scenario was discussed in another thread. The flyer lost comms with his drone just over the water and close to the home point where the unit just hovered. When the battery ran down and triggered the rth, the unit just landed on the water.

I wasn't referring to setting the rth altitude too low. For the MA (can't speak to the MM) if the unit is within 5 meters of the home point, the RTH will just land the unit. The scenario was discussed in another thread.
True, there are threads all over in regards to RTH.

The flyer lost comms with his drone just over the water and close to the home point where the unit just hovered. When the battery ran down and triggered the rth, the unit just landed on the water.

There are two issues with this statement. Loosing downlink will not trigger RTH. Only loss of both. In that scenario the OP would have had his failsafe set to "hover" not RTH. If the aircraft is too close to the home point, it will as you mentioned land where it is. Hence in your description of landing in the water.

The flyer said he couldn't control the drone, so it just hovered. I know this seems to be a rare sequence of events. But that is what was reported. I can't say whether or not it really happened as I wasn't there.

The flyer said he couldn't control the drone, so it just hovered.
Doesn't sound like a correct descrption to me. If the pilot you refer to could not "control" the aircraft. Hover is the last thing it would do. Unless of coarse you are far enough away from the HP for failsafe. Which if set to hover, that is what it will do for complete signal loss. Battery failsafe is a different animal.

Doesn't sound like a correct descrption to me. If the pilot you refer to could not "control" the aircraft. Hover is the last thing it would do. Unless of coarse you are far enough away from the HP for failsafe. Which if set to hover, that is what it will do for complete signal loss. Battery failsafe is a different animal.
asking your opinion please..Today I was in active track and had a disconnect. It left me with no screen and in a few seconds the drone climbed and returned to the home point. I had taken off on the top of my cinder block wall( I know I know) the drone descended to a few feet over the wall and hovered. I really didn't know what to do. I couldn't reach it to grab it. I couldn't get out of active track and really wasn't sure what the status was. I finally turned off the controller and turned it back on and it re-connected. I had just taken off and I have no idea why the disconnect for one, but I was nearby the home point. Being in active track I could have been 15 minutes away..What should you do in that case? Thanks for any advice

Thanks Meta. I had a black screen ...at the top it said dis-connected. It dis-connected within 15 feet of me and the home point soon after takeoff. It climbed and then came down directly over the takeoff point...the 7 or 8 inch wide top of my cinder block wall and hovered. I finally turned off the remote and back on again and it re-connected...I see that you can set the drone to land or hover with the loss of the controller instead of return to home. I had never considered either of those but I guess one could consider doing one or the other if you are hiking with active track.

Quick questions for the RTH. I am pretty new to flying drones but i have experience flying fixed wing gliders (such as the Bixler 3). Either way, i've chalked about 3 plus hours of flight time with this MM, but i noticed if i have my RTH altitude set to say 100 feet, but i am flying at 350 feet and loose connection. I'll notice it would return to home at the 350 feet rather than going to 100 feet, then going home. Is this an issue i can fix?

Quick questions for the RTH. I am pretty new to flying drones but i have experience flying fixed wing gliders (such as the Bixler 3). Either way, i've chalked about 3 plus hours of flight time with this MM, but i noticed if i have my RTH altitude set to say 100 feet, but i am flying at 350 feet and loose connection. I'll notice it would return to home at the 350 feet rather than going to 100 feet, then going home. Is this an issue i can fix?
If your drone is above the set RTH height and loses signal, it will return at the height it is at.
If you regain the connection you can adjust the height and/or cancel RTH and resume control.
Without signal it's just going to come home at the set RTH height.

Reactions: Thomas B
In the case of taking off at the water's edge, if I'm flying my Mavic 2 Zoom and I'm not happy with where it thinks it will land, I can still use the sticks to control the position of the drone whilst it's landing to make sure it's going to come down somewhere safe. I live on the coast and do this a lot! Does the MM not have this ability?

In the case of taking off at the water's edge, if I'm flying my Mavic 2 Zoom and I'm not happy with where it thinks it will land, I can still use the sticks to control the position of the drone whilst it's landing to make sure it's going to come down somewhere safe. I live on the coast and do this a lot! Does the MM not have this ability?
Yes, you can manoeuvre the Mini in RTH mode

Don't try to fight the RTH and redirect it while it is under RTH - it would not end well.
You can always cancel the RTH and resume control to land for yourself.
It's always a good idea to select a launch/landing spot considering how safe it would be for an automated RTH landing.
Make sure there are no obstacles or other potential problems for 5 metres around the point.

Reactions: Clay Turner

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji