DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Returning to dronedom..

Alex Baxter

Reactions
Hello all,

After a year or two away from drones, I'm coming back to the hobby.

I had a couple of things that reduced my enjoyment to the point where I lost interest.

1. Android version of the software was always unstable at best on a Nexus 5 and 6. I always found it distressing when it crashed (the software, not the drone)
2. The noise levels are quite high. I live right out in the Irish countryside, but I always preferred to fly when there was a tractor going about it's business to drown out noise. Irish farmers and country dwellers are a conservative lot and generally don't like drones (I'm sure I wouldn't either in their shoes). With that in mind I always fly as discreetly and considerately as I can. My nearest neighbour is 500 metres away.

I started with a Phantom 3 in 2016 (after a short lived Parrot Bebop which was just about good enough to get me interested before it simply flew away), and flew it hundreds of km, with one minor 'senior moment' clipping a bush in the garden which did not even damage the propellers, (I'm lucky to have a couple of acres), I then bought a Mavic when they came out, and now with a resurgence of interest, I've bought a Mini.

I'm hoping the mini will be quiet, and on the software issues I used to have, I've flown for a couple of hours on the Mavic with no issues, using my Pixel XL, no software crashes or off-putting events.

I have now charged up my phantom 3 pro batteries and had a few hours of test flights, again no issues with software (1 battery alert on my 150 charge cycle oldest battery when I was 'thrashing it' into a moderate wind, but hey, it's a 4 year old battery and it deserves some respect)

I have had a Hubsan H8 which is brilliant for training, I fly round the room landing on shelves. It ought to be obligatory to be able to fly one for the duration of the battery in a room without crashing before you move on to real drones, and although it's tiny, once trimmed, response is similar to 'real' drones

Ramble over, now it's time for some fun!

Happy Easter and STAY SAFE (Covid and flightwise)

Welcome back! Better dig in. Lots going on. ;)

Welcome back to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and comments. Wish you well on your flights. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City. I like what you said about flying discreetly and considerately in your neighbor hood. Nice you have a couple acres to fly, in the Irish country side. I visited Ireland quite a while back, loved every where we went. I am looking to buy a Mini as well, have two Mavic Pros birds, but still deliberating about buying a mini because of the wind issue. Have heard Pro and Con about the Mini, with other issues as well. Let us know how you like it, and if you have any issues.
As you know this forum is international, you will find many pilots to be very help full with issues you may have. Also, check out Mavic help and Mavic tips you can let your fingers do the walking, so many different topics to look at. Fly Safe and have fun.

I hear you, joined just today just like you (although you re-joined) after a two year break from drones and decided to get an MM. Flying discreetly and considerately is also what I practice and that's why the MM being light and cannot cope with moderate winds didnt discourage me from choosing it as my next drone.

No so quiet then, the Mini, but not really intrusive. It flies very nicely, and the lack of sensors does not bother me, as I cut my teeth on a Phantom 3.
All good, and we're due a lovely weekend weatherwise. WooHoo

Reactions: old man mavic
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City. I like what you said about flying discreetly and considerately in your neighbor hood. Nice you have a couple acres to fly, in the Irish country side. I visited Ireland quite a while back, loved every where we went. I am looking to buy a Mini as well, have two Mavic Pros birds, but still deliberating about buying a mini because of the wind issue. Have heard Pro and Con about the Mini, with other issues as well. Let us know how you like it, and if you have any issues.
As you know this forum is international, you will find many pilots to be very help full with issues you may have. Also, check out Mavic help and Mavic tips you can let your fingers do the walking, so many different topics to look at. Fly Safe and have fun.
Hello SpitFire, thanks..
Ireland is a tough country to dislike, I have to say (being Irish I would say that, I suppose..)
The Mini not so quiet, but certainly quieter that the Pro, but does fly well with a good range (may be different in an urban environment, but I would not fly in the city). I suspect us Mavic and Phantom pilots might assume it's as capable in a breeze and lose it if we're not careful. I've always used UAV forecast app before I fly, and fly upwind to get a feel for the conditions before I get down to the serious fun. To be brutally honest, I bought the Mini on a whim, and it'll travel the country with me as I work all over Ireland (air pollution monitoring equipment servicing) I think I'll take the Mavic pro too for the windy days, (as some wag said, Ireland does not have a climate, just weather..) If you're in the city, maybe stick with the Pros, better range and more wind proof. Here's Rossenarra house, (same architect that designed THE white house) currently unoccupied and just across the fields from us, it's an old photo taken with the Pro in 2017..

Attachments

• DJI_0005.JPG
    DJI_0005.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 11
Glad you're back flying Alex and do read in the mini section as it does have it's moods. Thumbswayup

Glad you're back flying Alex and do read in the mini section as it does have it's moods. Thumbswayup
I'll try to err on the side of caution. The props seem to be an issue, maybe with pitch reduction caused by 'flattening' of the blades? (that's a guess..) I thought I may test occasionally by checking the rate of climb in P mode, and if it falls below some (currently arbitrary) limit, then replace them. I'll never treat it like a 'grown up' DJI product, it'll always be considered a very talented child, prone to tantrums..
I'm back in the groove, lots of flying with the P3P, MP and Mini in the past couple of days, no software (or drone) crashes, so I'm a very contented Easter bunny. PLUS The weather here has been wonderful for two full days, as is said in Ireland when the sun peeks out from behind the clouds for more than an hour 'the sun is splitting the stones'..

Stay safe..

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom