DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Review of Freewell MAVIC ND FILTER 6-PACK

What has your research turned up so far? I am leaning Polar Pro.

I received the PolarPro Cinema 6 pack the other day. I returned the company's less expensive professional version as the lenses had to be removed each time before power up or gimbal would not calibrate. No issues with calibration on the lighter weight cinema series. Unfortunately I have not taken any video yet but it is a quality product!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

What has your research turned up so far? I am leaning Polar Pro.

I was originally considering the Taco due to Polar Pro not being able to remain fitted to the camera, due to interference while gimbal is calibrating, although I am not sure if this is still the case. I have also seen good reviews about PGYTech.

The Freewell filters apparently push & clip on and they claim that it can remain on during calibration. They say the filters are made from HD glass with multilayered coating and also only weigh 1 gram.

The FreewellGear site also seems to have other stuff at reasonable prices.

I was originally considering the Taco due to Polar Pro not being able to remain fitted to the camera, due to interference while gimbal is calibrating, although I am not sure if this is still the case. I have also seen good reviews about PGYTech.

The Freewell filters apparently push & clip on and they claim that it can remain on during calibration. They say the filters are made from HD glass with multilayered coating and also only weigh 1 gram.

Polar Pro can stay on. No Gimbal issues.

All I know is that the Polar Pro Cinema series and the Taco RC MC ND filters are excellent, You can leave either one of these on during startup. I wound up with a set of each. Long story.

Tried Freewell ND filters. Put the ND filter on before calibration. The gimbal would not calibrate properly. Took off the filter.

I have had zero issues with the Freewell filters.

I think there is just too much variation between different Mavics especially the rear gimbal retaining hook, so some people have trouble where others have no trouble at all. Too many conflicting reports on Freewell and PolarPro and Taco filters for this not to be the case.

DJI's filter design is uglier and cheaper, but it seems to be the lowest profile of all of the options on the market.

Has anyone tried the DJI filters yet?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
0f77a3654464e33bb8c6c50dcd0bcc02.jpg

I've used them for only a few flights. Primarily the ND16 in CO. Comes with ND8 and ND4 Super easy to snap on and off. Nice secure fit and comes with a little foam package.

sent from mobile device

Just got the Freewell Mavic ND filters and they will not work. They are too big and gimbal can't calibrate on startup.

TACO-RC Filter 2.JPG

I purchased the Taco-RC ND 5 pack about a week ago and material that holds them secure is being crushed on installation and crumbling. The ND32 I've put on and off only 3 times will probably lose the ability to secure the lens after a few more removals. I have email Taco-RC and they responded with "Weird, can you send them back?" to which I replied "Yes, give me a mailing address and a RMA # and how you want them shipped". That was 24 hours ago .... I'm waiting for a response. This is what the ND32 looks like .... (at the top of this Post it appears)

Last edited:
First purchased the tacos. They are a little tricky to get them where they need to go. If you don't line them up just right, you will see an issue with the foam that holds them in place. It does not seem to be cheap foam at all. Just need to be evenly attached and they are fine. Just got some of the polarpro cinemas and I do think they are a little easier to line up when attaching and they seem to snap into place with a little push. Whatever he is using instead of foam is working. I'll see if I can get a closeup picture of the two.

Reactions: grizzard
So if you click on the pictures, you can see a little more detail. The black one of course is the taco and you can see a line in the foam from when I did not get it quite straight on first install. The polarpro to me has the better system. Only my opinion.

Ah .... interesting. Wouldn't it be nice if they used a very fine O-Ring ... good rubber and almost indestructible. Taco-Rc did not respond to my last email ... I guess I will have to track them down. Disappointing but I'm probably just a little anxious to fly. I think I will try the suggestion to use a small amount of lubricant on a Q-Tip around the barrel of the camera and rotate as I install. Only substitute coconut oil (hair dressing). That might prevent further damage and allow me to use them when needed.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000