DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Review of Mavic 2 Pro for Landscape Photography

xjjon

Reactions
I got the mavic 2 pro for landscape photography. Been flying it every week and here are my early thoughts on the drone.
Have around 20 hours of flight time after 2 months. My experience using it covers flights near the car and on overnight backpacking trips.

Tried to focus on the imaging and photography experience of the drone in the review. So it doesn't cover many technical aspects of flying but it's through the experience of me trying to capture landscapes. Overall a very exceptional flying experience and a capable camera.

Since most of us on here already own the drone, the gallery / sample images may be more interesting. But hereis the full review.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated :)

And here are some images..

DJI_0451.JPG
DJI_0549.JPG
DJI_0136-Edit.JPG
DJI_0402.JPG
DJI_0280.JPG

First video (also in comments)

Last edited:
Thanks all, loving the mavic and happy to share the skies with y'all.

Reactions: Bobvt
I got the mavic 2 pro for landscape photography. Been flying it every week and here are my early thoughts on the drone.
Have around 20 hours of flight time after 2 months. My experience using it covers flights near the car and on overnight backpacking trips.

Tried to focus on the imaging and photography experience of the drone in the review. So it doesn't cover many technical aspects of flying but it's through the experience of me trying to capture landscapes. Overall a very exceptional flying experience and a capable camera.

Since most of us on here already own the drone, the gallery / sample images may be more interesting. But hereis the full review.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated :)

And here are some images..

View attachment 83330
View attachment 83331
View attachment 83332
View attachment 83334
View attachment 83335
Did you film in 4K or did you take photos? If you took photos, what camera settings did you use? They are absolutely great.

Did you film in 4K or did you take photos? If you took photos, what camera settings did you use? They are absolutely great.

All of those images are photos. Have the metadata in the captions under the full review but mostly I shoot f5.6-f8. Use auto ISO for the most part. Pretty much all the images are set to -1 exposure. I prefer to have the image darker and raised in post-processing instead of regular/over exposed.

Also important to shoot in RAW if you plan to edit the photos after.

For videos - still new to it but here's the first one I shot/edited. Haven't had much experience with video prior to the drone so I cannot comment too much on it. But 4k looks great.

All of those images are photos. Have the metadata in the captions under the full review but mostly I shoot f5.6-f8. Use auto ISO for the most part. Pretty much all the images are set to -1 exposure. I prefer to have the image darker and raised in post-processing instead of regular/over exposed.

Also important to shoot in RAW if you plan to edit the photos after.

For videos - still new to it but here's the first one I shot/edited. Haven't had much experience with video prior to the drone so I cannot comment too much on it. But 4k looks great.

Beautiful video! Really enjoyed it as well as the music and the editing. Can you tell me the quick transition you used towards the end between two stills? Video editing software used? I'm looking to purchase or get free, an Adobe Premiere transition pack but they are all too flashy for me. I need simple transitions (fades, wipes, dissolves) which are mostly already provided by the Premiere software, but something a little extra.

Reactions: xjjon
xjjon...

Excellent captures! Living in the Seattle area provides you with terrific access to great photography/video like the ones posted here. I have to chuckle, I purchased the M2P for photography as well, but instantly got interested in the video capabilities and wanting to learning how to edit video.

Beautiful video! Really enjoyed it as well as the music and the editing. Can you tell me the quick transition you used towards the end between two stills? Video editing software used? I'm looking to purchase or get free, an Adobe Premiere transition pack but they are all too flashy for me. I need simple transitions (fades, wipes, dissolves) which are mostly already provided by the Premiere software, but something a little extra.

Thanks Dale, I use Adobe Premiere as well. I haven't tried any transitions that aren't included with the base software. For the last 3 images, the transitions used (in-order) are:

1. Dip to black
  2. Cross zoom
  3. Cross dissolve
For the video transitions, I mostly just used cross dissolve or dip to black.

xjjon...

Excellent captures! Living in the Seattle area provides you with terrific access to great photography/video like the ones posted here. I have to chuckle, I purchased the M2P for photography as well, but instantly got interested in the video capabilities and wanting to learning how to edit video.

Exactly my thoughts too. I didn't think I would be making any videos but when I tried it out, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! Thought that an old dog can't learn new tricks but I think DJI did a good job making it really easy to capture what you want.

Learning how to use Premiere though... different story ?

#4 spoke to me . . .

• Haha
Reactions: xjjon
xjjon - great shots, especially 0549 and 0136-Edit :)

As for aperture - you might want to use f/2.8 - f/4 for best sharpness, check more here: At What Aperture is the Mavic 2 Pro Sharpest?

Btw. What software are you using to process RAWs?

Thanks, I will keep that in mind :) Although a lot of times I need to use the fastest aperture to get light anyway (especially when shooting during sunset, sunrise).

I use lightroom for editing raw photos, premiere for the videos.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji