DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ribbon wrap

Daryl923

Reactions
While flying my DJI Mavic Pro a balloon ribbon caught around the in the right front motor. I can not pull it out, the motor still turns but don't want to keep running it. Can the motor be taken apart for the ribbon to be removed? Any suggestions?

If the ribbon is around the prop shaft and prop mounting plate, (and assuming it's made like the M2), then remove the screws that secure the prop mounting plate to the top of the motor.

If, on the other hand, the ribbon got wrapped around the motor below the bottom of the motor "outer" (lower lip of the rotor "bell"), it's gonna be more difficult. The center shaft is a tight fit through two ball bearings in the stator, one at the top, and one at the bottom of the motor. At the bottom of the motor, a small "C" clip further secures the shaft to prevent the motor from coming apart. So, if the ribbon is in that gap, I'd first use a tool made out of a needle or similar. You might try cold bending the tip of the needle to make a small hook, (if that doesn't work, heat the needle as necessary to make the hook). With a pliers to hold the needle (assuming you don't have a small collet for the handle), work at pulling the ribbon out a bit at a time.

Alternately, if you have a cut off wheel (grinder), you might fashion a hook our of a single edge razor blade. In either case, use caution not to damage the motor windings.

Last edited:
Thanks bumper for that info and Yes it is wrapped around the motor below the bottom of the motor "outer" (lower lip of the rotor "bell"). I am not to savvy with trying to remove it, I’m scared I’ll damage the motor. I live in Elkton, MD do you or anyone know of anyone near me in Maryland that can repair it?

If the ribbon is around the prop shaft and prop mounting plate, (and assuming it's made like the M2), then remove the screws that secure the prop mounting plate to the top of the motor.

If, on the other hand, the ribbon got wrapped around the motor below the bottom of the motor "outer" (lower lip of the rotor "bell"), it's gonna be more difficult. The center shaft is a tight fit through two ball bearings in the stator, one at the top, and one at the bottom of the motor. At the bottom of the motor, a small "C" clip further secures the shaft to prevent the motor from coming apart. So, if the ribbon is in that gap, I'd first use a tool made out of a needle or similar. You might try cold bending the tip of the needle to make a small hook, (if that doesn't work, heat the needle as necessary to make the hook). With a pliers to hold the needle (assuming you don't have a small collet for the handle), work at pulling the ribbon out a bit at a time.

Alternately, if you have a cut off wheel (grinder), you might fashion a hook our of a single edge razor blade. In either case, use caution not to damage the motor windings.

I got it off! I when to a friends computer shop where he had the tools need. We removed the landing leg off and there were 3 screws which let the motor down enough to unwrap the ribbon. It was easier than I thought. Thanks again for your info. I’ll be paying more attention to my surroundings when I’m flying.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7