DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro River & Ridge Running

Southfork1

Reactions
The weather hasn't been great but I've been having fun scouting / practicing. The river run was very windy (+40mph gusts) with a dark grey overcast, but I thought I'd share my practice run to give a few of you some ideas.

On request, regarding my approach and position to maintain signal through the canyon run, I re-visited and shot a demo. Should make sense watching that, for those who are curious how I did it...

Last edited:
Yeah agreed with the music. I’m just getting started with the editing side of things. Music suggestions?
Just keep in mind that kind of footage in the mountains is Epic, its daunting, its challenging , and doodle music just takes all the away. I cannot wait to see more , but I may have to turn the sound down. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain/Snow

The weather hasn't been great but I've been having fun scouting / practicing. The river run was very windy (+40mph gusts) with a dark grey overcast, but I thought I'd share my practice run to give a few of you some ideas.
wow, what a fantastic adventure. You were very courageous to fly such a long distance, especially the river flight is fantastic. Your skilly are great man?? Holy smoke you didn´t have goosebumps during the flight? Where did you stand during the flight? And how did you fly back? No battery or connection problems?
I enjoyed very much both videos, thanks for sharing!
cheers Paul

wow, what a fantastic adventure. You were very courageous to fly such a long distance, especially the river flight is fantastic. Your skilly are great man?? Holy smoke you didn´t have goosebumps during the flight? Where did you stand during the flight? And how did you fly back? No battery or connection problems?
Thanks kindly. I'll just say I'm well practiced on the sticks, to the point that nothing in those runs was particular difficult, even in the wind. The river run is the result of pre-flight effort, finding and climbing to the ideal midpoint / elevated location with signal strength as priority. I'm flying sport mode with adjusted senstivity, auto-land off, RTH set to hover in place. Flying back was easy, but getting it safely to me through the tree branches getting whipped by the wind... that was difficult.

My testing involves hitting branches, and knowing what kind of branches I can bounce off versus the ones that wrap your props up causing a crash. Putting that into action, here is a much more difficult flight under the canopy... (older practice run of mine. i'm practicing towards exploring areas like this but smoothly. i'm quite a bit better at the smooth bit now)

Last edited:
Thanks kindly. I'll just say I'm well practiced on the sticks, to the point that nothing in those runs was particular difficult, even in the wind. The river run is the result of pre-flight effort, finding and climbing to the ideal midpoint / elevated location with signal strength as priority. I'm flying sport mode with adjusted senstivity, auto-land off, RTH set to hover in place. Flying back was easy, but getting it safely to me through the tree branches getting whipped by the wind... that was difficult.

My testing involves hitting branches, and knowing what kind of branches I can bounce off versus the ones that wrap your props up causing a crash. Putting that into action, here is a much more difficult flight under the canopy... (older practice run of mine)

This was an amazing flight, I will have to share it with another member who is attempting something similar.
You might consider getting the Wet Suit and Rescue Jacket as your likely headed towards adventure and extreme weather flying like us.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Drones in the Rain /Snow

My testing involves hitting branches, and knowing what kind of branches I can bounce off versus the ones that wrap your props up causing a crash. Putting that into action, here is a much more difficult flight under the canopy... (older practice run of mine. i'm practicing towards exploring areas like this but smoothly. i'm quite a bit better at the smooth bit now)
thanks for the additional very interesting infos. You are really corageous, wow! The video abow is even more creepy whan you fly by very close to branches. I never would dare to do it ?
cheers Paul

Amazing videos and locations. I know it is a practice run an all but one small nitpick I might add especially on the mountain one when you can be less worried about hitting things trying to have more smooth, fluid, and continuous camera movements. I don't know what mode this was shot in but I have found movie mode good to film with because it dampens all of your actions to make for smoother more natural feeling turns and pans to not take the viewer out of feeling like a bird. I am sure that when you are doing more legitimate runs and not just practice you take a lot more care for the details as well. Great videos looking forward to seeing some more.

Great videos

This is high class! Thank you for sharing these wonderful video´s. Very very inspiring.

Great video! OK, I have to know where you were positioned in the mountain stream video in order to keep such a good connection between drone and controller in such tight conditions along the stream for such a long distance, with what appears to be uninterrupted connection? And what drone was this? M2P? Very impressive flying.

Did you use goggles? Would the use of goggles better help finding your way through the branches?

Excellent flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007