DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RNC DRONE FREE ZONE

E90RAW

Reactions
USAFAA Banner
Republican National Convention Designated “No Drone Zone”
U.S. Federal Aviation Administration sent this bulletin at 08/21/2020 02:58 PM EDT
Bookmark and Share
RNC Banner
Republican National Convention
Designated “No Drone Zone”

Drone pilots, to ensure the safety of convention attendees and the residents of Charlotte, N.C., the U.S. Secret Service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department announced a “No Drone Zone” during the Republican National Convention (RNC) in Charlotte on August 24, 2020.
To create a “No Drone Zone,” the FAA established a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) that prohibits drones and other manned aircraft as part of the security measures required for this National Special Security Event (NSSE).
The NSSE designation protects the integrity of the nomination process, including official business of the RNC.
The TFR includes a 30-nautical-mile radius of the Charlotte Convention Center up to 18,000 feet in altitude from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on August 24. View TFR information on our website.
Flying a drone in the restricted area during the RNC is against the law. Anyone flying a drone within the “No Drone Zone” could face criminal charges, fines in excess of $30,000, and drone confiscation.
Visit our website for additional information about the “No Drone Zone” and other flight restrictions.
Continue to the follow the FAA on social media for the latest information.

Reactions: lowellton
USAFAA Banner
U.S. Federal Aviation Administration sent this bulletin at 08/21/2020 02:58 PM EDT
Bookmark and Share
RNC Banner

Drone pilots, to ensure the safety of convention attendees and the residents of Charlotte, N.C., the U.S. Secret Service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department announced a “No Drone Zone” during the Republican National Convention (RNC) in Charlotte on August 24, 2020.
To create a “No Drone Zone,” the FAA established a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) that prohibits drones and other manned aircraft as part of the security measures required for this National Special Security Event (NSSE).
The NSSE designation protects the integrity of the nomination process, including official business of the RNC.
The TFR includes a 30-nautical-mile radius of the Charlotte Convention Center up to 18,000 feet in altitude from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on August 24. View TFR information on our website.
Flying a drone in the restricted area during the RNC is against the law. Anyone flying a drone within the “No Drone Zone” could face criminal charges, fines in excess of $30,000, and drone confiscation.
Visit our website for additional information about the “No Drone Zone” and other flight restrictions.
I thought ALL pubic venues were no fly zones?

Just went through the same thing in Milwaukee for the DNC this past week. 30 mile radius of the city in a temp no fly zone. Sucked because the weather was fantastic all week and no one was even here because it was all virtual. Ah well, it’s over now! :)

Reactions: E90RAW
USAFAA Banner
Bookmark and Share
RNC Banner

I have seen the TFR’s when Trump or Pence comes to Charlotte. 30 miles is a bit extreme.

I have seen the TFR’s when Trump or Pence comes to Charlotte. 30 miles is a bit extreme.

30 miles is the standard presidential TFR limit I believe.

USAFAA Banner
Bookmark and Share
RNC Banner

I thought North Carolina was canceled a long time ago, and then Florida was canceled. Now it will be at the white house (also wrong) and that's always no fly anyway.

I thought North Carolina was canceled a long time ago, and then Florida was canceled. Now it will be at the white house (also wrong) and that's always no fly anyway.
Yes its very confusing. And now that its virtual is anyone going to be there? I think Trump is giving his speech from the White house.

Yes its very confusing. And now that its virtual is anyone going to be there? I think Trump is giving his speech from the White house.

He is giving a speech from the WH this morning and then heading here to Western NC. He's going to be here in my neck of the woods for a visit and tour of a local facility today for a few hours. Due to him being in such close proximity to Charlotte and there being a VIP TFR in place in Charlotte, it would not surprise me one bit that he makes an in-person appearance from there. He may not but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he does.

We have the standard 30mile TFR in place for his visit.

For those worried about the 30 mile radius... that's a Standard VIP TFR and it's not "just drones" even though the announcement above is "Drone" specific. That TFR is for ALL aircraft from surface to 18,000'. The FAA has made a "Drone Specific" announcement to try and help our industry to understand that a TFR does include DRONE restrictions and not "just" manned aircraft.

I just was watching the news this morning, TFR in my local airport in Greenville. The news reported it was for President (Trump) to switch airplanes? So not sure what that means. I mean Air Force One could surely make the whole trip over to Charlotte..perhaps he is going puddle jumper...LOL. I'm outside of it by a bit but weather is dismal with a light rain. So no Big deal anyway, and I doubt the TFR will last longer than a hour anyway ;)

...The news reported it was for President (Trump) to switch airplanes? So not sure what that means...

It means he will move from one aircraft to a different one.

• Haha
Reactions: rehkram
He flew in AF-1 (747 today) and then switched over to Marine-1 to fly to the other local airports.

He did make a SURPRISE visit to the RNC as expected and gave a short speech. He also stayed here in WNC longer than expected and gave a great speech. Like him or not the position of POTUS is AMAZING and an honor to have him in our area if but just a few hours.

Like him or not the position of POTUS is AMAZING and an honor to have him in our area if but just a few hours.

... not when his golf course is only a few miles away. Really ruins my summertime flying!! Almost every weekend is a 30 mile TFR, it seems. I live less than 2 miles from where AF1 lands when he’s in Bedminster.

The only upside is that it’s quiet all weekend. Until this guy shows up ... someone in a Piper Cub busted the no-fly zone, so got a visit from your local, friendly F-15. Was VERY cool to see an F15 fly low & slow over my backyard, especially since I knew it wasn’t directed at me. LOL

B8E0482E-F676-4891-BCE7-556AF09928A4.png

Last edited:
F-15E Strike Eagle I think. An oldie but a goodie. Sorry, it's the air cadet in me. Nice shot!

Of course you're right - just a plain old typo from me. The dual engines give it away for sure.

Wish I could've posted the video here - it was definitely impressive!!

It means he will move from one aircraft to a different one.

Obviously except to our news doofus reporting who said explicitly "Change Airplanes" which made no sense. Going from AF-1 to M-1 I get, and in fact their were three Ospreys on the tarmac right behind AF-1, so when I first saw the news this evening as he was about to leave, I was like "Surely he didn't take a hop in one of those"? But having three would seem normal as when He gets in M-1 they routinely fly decoy aircraft. I never saw M-1 on the news, not to say it wasn't there earlier.

Our news once again knowing nothing but how to report stupidity were all exclaiming how cool that Boeing is based here and talking ignorance on AF-1 and how something that big could take off on "our" small (International) runway? (As it took off one of the reporters said it weighed 800lbs...WTH?, it actually is classified, but 800,000 pounds [400 tons!] is what he should have said ) :p

It took the taxi way turn onto the main and throttled to lift off without stopping to take off and lifted off what to me was STOL..very little roll (Gunned it)...she lifted off so majestic, I swear shorter than my 172 roll... I was on the Commandants Communication team in the Pentagon, all I can say is inside that aircraft is the Bomb! But rhetorically speaking of course, you seriously want for nothing ;) It is a strange honor to carry the "Football"...where did I put that thing again? LOL :)

A side note on my old airbase in Beaufort...our main runway was a auxiliary landing field for the Space Shuttle...I always wished something weird would happen and they would have to divert to my "back yard" on base housing ;)

Last edited:
Many (most?) journalists are notoriously illiterate about aviation. That has been pointed out for years on aviation forums like PPRuNe to much hilarity, wailing and gnashing of teeth. I've been reading about it for years on there and it never seems to get any better.

Many (most?) journalists are notoriously illiterate about aviation. That has been pointed out for years on aviation forums like PPRuNe to much hilarity, wailing and gnashing of teeth. I've been reading about it for years on there and it never seems to get any better.
As this thread is dead now, I just gotta say. I have been in every state of these United...18 foreign countries (all before I was 29) and it pains me to say that upstate SC, has THE WORST news I have ever seen. They play a Loop tape from morning news to evening news, unless something is "Breaking". The forecasters (meteorologist) must of had a D- Average, it is beyond a joke.. is there really a difference in partly sunny and partly cloudy? They should just say 50-50 chance of rain and call it a day ;)

It sounds like a Afghanistan skirmish outside my door daily (my PTSD is at a all time high alert :p) I think they use their guns ( and they ALL have some serious weaponary) as a sort of code to talk to neighbors or some secret Morse code type thing I have yet to decipher. Yet the people up here are just plain American ( like land of the lost type) and for the most part awesome...carry on gang. I am thinking moving back to Low Country or South Georgia in my retirement :)

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa