DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rocket hobbyists and high flying drones ... ?

geigy

Reactions
I notice a lot of youtubes of daring young men flying their rockets up 1000's of feet and more. Does anyone have experience with setting up these events? Are there areas restricted for rocket launches, and/or TFR's for specific rocket launch events.

Just thinking that we drone folks could have similar high flying drone events, or share events with the rocket folks, who would probably enjoy seeing their rockets from a bird's eye view.

Reactions: Oconnb910
At least in Australia, you are able to launch up to a certain weight and motor specification anywhere, provided you stay within the CASA (FAA) laws. I myself am only 15 and have launched a small rocket on a 'C' motor to around 1000 feet (280m) and a much larger and faster rocket to almost 3000ft at transonic speeds on an "H" motor. The latter required going to a remote launch site with proper clearance etc. and requiring a "level 1" certification, but the first can be done just at any park with a sufficient radius. I believe the biggest organisation that runs these events in the US is 'Tripoli' but you would have to double check that.
It would be cool to try videoing the launch with a drone, but fairly risky as the flight path of the rockets can be greatly affected by wind, uneven motor burning and just overall build quality of the rocket. I have no idea about flying drones at these events, but if I end up buying a Mavic I will be sure to take it to a launch and try my luck.

Jack

I notice a lot of youtubes of daring young men flying their rockets up 1000's of feet and more. Does anyone have experience with setting up these events? Are there areas restricted for rocket launches, and/or TFR's for specific rocket launch events.

Just thinking that we drone folks could have similar high flying drone events, or share events with the rocket folks, who would probably enjoy seeing their rockets from a bird's eye view.
Actually I find that to be a very interesting question. When I was a kid I used to fly and launch my Estes Rockets many of them did go several hundred feet up in the air possibly over 600 700 ft was I violating airspace?

Actually I find that to be a very interesting question. When I was a kid I used to fly and launch my Estes Rockets many of them did go several hundred feet up in the air possibly over 600 700 ft was I violating airspace?

You could always check the applicable laws in 14 CFR Part 101: Subpart C— Amateur Rockets

Reactions: BigAl07
I was into high power rocketry for a while. Joined a rocket club which organized a big field out in the boondocks for semi-regular launches. They secured an FAA waiver several times a year which allowed flights up to 10,000 feet or so for several hours using motors rated up to J and K.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada