DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Roll axis on gimbal not working properly...

9sec240

Reactions
I got the "gimbal overload" error after a light crash that hurt literally nothing else. After researching a bit online, I decided to replace the ribbon cable. After replacement, pitch yaw and roll all respond to quad movement but looking at the video feed, you can see that the roll axis is vibrating at times. I tried to auto calibrate and it fails each time and ends up with a crooked video and no roll response to movement.

Do the motors go out on these things? Is it binding? Did I get a crappy ribbon cable? Should I try to replace the cable again or just send it some place to be looked at?

Thanks for any help.

I got the "gimbal overload" error after a light crash that hurt literally nothing else. After researching a bit online, I decided to replace the ribbon cable. After replacement, pitch yaw and roll all respond to quad movement but looking at the video feed, you can see that the roll axis is vibrating at times. I tried to auto calibrate and it fails each time and ends up with a crooked video and no roll response to movement.

Do the motors go out on these things? Is it binding? Did I get a crappy ribbon cable? Should I try to replace the cable again or just send it some place to be looked at?

Thanks for any help.

There are crappy cables on the market, find someone who can tell you the best place to get one from

There are crappy cables on the market, find someone who can tell you the best place to get one from

LOL... that is exactly what I tried to do. Only one person responded. I bought the cable that was recommended.

Anyone else have a recommendation as to where to find a quality ribbon cable?

Thanks

also check if the gimbal motors / bearings / arms were damaged / jammed.

The way to check is to ensure it can freely rotate even when you give it a small quick turn. It should rotate all the way and overshoot, and snap back like there is absolutely no friction.

also check if the gimbal motors / bearings / arms were damaged / jammed.

The way to check is to ensure it can freely rotate even when you give it a small quick turn. It should rotate all the way and overshoot, and snap back like there is absolutely no friction.

There was an issues when I put it back together. The back of the camera was rubbing on the plastic on the roll axis causing a bind. I was able to push the plastic back and it rotates more freely but I feel like pitch and yaw are smoother.

DJI.jpg

Are you saying when not powered up, you should be able to rotate the camera quickly and it should bounce off the stop and rotate back?

Last edited:
There was an issues when I put it back together. The back of the camera was rubbing on the plastic on the roll axis causing a bind. I was able to push the plastic back and it rotates more freely but I feel like pitch and yaw are smoother.

View attachment 108107

Are you saying when not powered up, you should be able to rotate the camera quickly and it should bounce off the stop and rotate back?
Yup If you twist the roll axis (camera + lens) roll to the limit with minimal torque and quickly release before the end stops, it should easily bounce back. Make sure this is same for both ends, is CW and CCW. Mine actually got stuck near on of the ends (CW) and won't bounce back. I had to use a tool to sort of twist and lift to realign the axis. Not sure if yours is having the same condition.

Here I made a diagram.

So, I think I am going to change out the ribbon cable again. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a ribbon cable that works well? The last one I got did not fit very well and did not have the sticky tape in all the locations the factory one did.

Thanks

So, I think I am going to change out the ribbon cable again. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a ribbon cable that works well? The last one I got did not fit very well and did not have the sticky tape in all the locations the factory one did.

Thanks
Probably too late on this but, did you use canned air to ensure there is no debris in between the segments of each motor? I've repaired hundreds of these gimbals, about 30% of them can be fixed with canned air.
Also, there should be about 1mm of even space between each motor segment. If there's less on one side than the other, use a tiny flat screwdriver blade and GENTLY pry the closer section until its even, then spray it thoroughly again to be certain any debris has been removed. Then calibrate the gimbal again. Frankly, I doubt that it's the flat gimbal control cable, unless it is torn or has been burned from the motor over heating.

Probably too late on this but, did you use canned air to ensure there is no debris in between the segments of each motor? I've repaired hundreds of these gimbals, about 30% of them can be fixed with canned air.
Also, there should be about 1mm of even space between each motor segment. If there's less on one side than the other, use a tiny flat screwdriver blade and GENTLY pry the closer section until its even, then spray it thoroughly again to be certain any debris has been removed. Then calibrate the gimbal again. Frankly, I doubt that it's the flat gimbal control cable, unless it is torn or has been burned from the motor over heating.
This sounds promising. I guess I have to dismantle the gimbal before I can access the roll motor? Here is a break down of what I have noticed.

After powering the gimbal on, it seems to be the "Roll" axis motor. Can be seen to be trying to orientate in both the tilt and the pan axis, but getting nothing from the roll axis.
This is before settling, as said, with the camera pointing up in to the roof of the drone housing.
Gimbal calibration and Recenter functions failed in the app. Does nothing, as does the scroll wheel on the top back left hand side of the controller, which usually controls the pitch (tilt).
Error Code 40002, gimbal stuck. This can be many things, from something stuck in the axis motor, to motor failure. Given that the gimbal moves freely in the Roll when moved by hand, I can only assume motor failure.
Nothing wrong with the camera, and is coming through to app fine. Drone is flying and responding otherwise.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54