DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Roll the camera

Ralph thompson

Reactions
Has anyone found a way to roll the camera on a M2P? Because of a confined space and height limitation, I need to fly the M2P to about 50 feet then point the camera straight down and photograph a tiled floor. But the lens is not wide enough to take in the whole length of the floor area so I'd like to make a panorama. Roll the camera right, take a photograph, centre it take a photograph, roll it left & take a photograph keeping the M2P stationary. The three photographs could then be merged as a panorama. I've tried finger rub but that only yaws and pitches the camera. You can bias the camera angle but it only offsets +- 10 degs & its horribly slow process (taping .1 deg at a time). I could also move the M2P laterally and use mapping SW but would prefer to simply roll the camera & do a pano.

You can't roll the camera that way. You might just be able to take an automated 360 (or any auto pano program that includes bottom frames), saving the DNG files, then selecting the frames you need.

Or, if you want to do it manually, think gimble tilt up and down, not camera roll left to right. In other words:
  1. Point the aircraft with the floor forward and behind (not to the left and right).
  2. Take a shot straight down
  3. Pan the gimble upwards until you get more of the floor ahead of the aircraft and take a shot that direction, making sure to overlap by 30% (this 2nd frame should have 30% of the floor from the first shot)
  4. Turn the aircraft 180 degrees and take the thirds shot with the same gimble tilt you had in step #3
You can take more than 3 shots this way. For instance, after the shot in step 3, you could tilt the gimble up more and take another shot in the same direction, then also take 2 shots in the similar fashion in step 4.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I agree, I think this is the only way. Just that it'll be in ATTI so tricky to keep the drone in one spot. Maybe repeat a few times and hope it stays more or less in the one place. But it is just a flat floor so maybe a little movement won't be a problem. Thanks

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest