DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rooftop rescue of Tinyhawk Freestyle by Mavic Mini

Westbrook55

Reactions
Back in mid-March, I was out flying my Tinyhawk Freestyle around the yard. As a newb, I thought I was doing quite well until I flew too high, caught the wind, and the drone disappeared over the peak of my roof. I thought it may have dropped to the other side of the house, but that was not the case. The THF was not visible from the ground, so I got out my aluminum extension ladder and attempted to mount the roof of my Cape Cod style home. The front was too steep and is mostly covered with solar panels. The back is about 30 ft high and requires full extension of my ladder to just reach the gutter. I climbed to the top of the ladder, slowly and with great caution and fear, and with no one to steady the ladder. After an hour or so of trying to talk myself into making the transition from ladder to roof to do the rescue myself, which went against every fiber of my being, I decided to enlist the help of my Mavic Mini to at least see where it was.

After flying up there, I saw it was wedged under one of the solar panels, right at the top. I got about 4 ft of light cord and an S-hook and flew back up there. The attached video shows the rescue. It went a lot better than I had imagined it would. It took a couple of tugs, after I realized it was not just laying there and was somehow wedged under the panel. On the second big tug, it came out and evidently tumbled down the front of the house into the gutter, only about 8 ft above the ground. Needless to say, I was very pleased. :)

Rescue Mission

Last edited:
Glad you got it back - great recovery !

Reactions: Paul Uttermohlen
Nice work! Just curious though - what was your plan if the MM hooked it (or the panel) and it wouldn'y budge or unhook?

Reactions: KJT
Great rescue job! And great narrative. I can definitely relate to the pucker factor when contemplating leaving the ladder for the roof!!

Reactions: Akward59
Nice work! Just curious though - what was your plan if the MM hooked it (or the panel) and it wouldn't budge or unhook?
I don't think I ever considered not being able to unhook. I guess if it did get stuck up there, I'd go across the street and get my neighbor to give me ladder and spiritual support to make the transition to the roof. In that case, I would have recovered the drone, but also soiled my pants! Let's just say it was my lucky day. ☘

The transition from ladder to roof can be daunting, but the next one, roof to ladder, is the worst.
Yeah, right?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake