DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH as controller - weak signal

Montana John

Reactions
When I want to set my return to home as the controller (the icon on the right on the app screen), I get a message on the screen that says "device produces signal too weak to use," or words to that effect. I c an only set the RTH as the point of takeoff.
The controller produces a signal strong enough to control the drone a half mile a way. Is the controller the "device" or is there another? Any ideas on what to do about this would be appreciated. In addition, on all my landings, auto or manual, I get a message that says the proposed landing site is unfit and I must choose a forced landing. Ideas?

Your device in this reference is actually your cell phone or tablet being used WITH the Remote Controller. This device must have a GPS chipset and tablets without Cellular capabilities are notorious for NOT having a GPS chipset. You cannot use any device without this GPS chipset to set the Home Point to the new location that you move to.

No cellular modem = no GPS receiver.

tablets without Cellular capabilities are notorious for NOT having a GPS chipset.
That only applies to iPads.
Almost every Android tablet has GPS.

Your device in this reference is actually your cell phone or tablet being used WITH the Remote Controller. This device must have a GPS chipset and tablets without Cellular capabilities are notorious for NOT having a GPS chipset. You cannot use any device without this GPS chipset to set the Home Point to the new location that you move to.

No cellular modem = no GPS receiver.
I have a SIM card in my ipad. Isn't this what gives it cellular capabilities? This is the first time I have seen the word chipset.

Yes! That is what would allow one to use the Cellular Capabilities. There does not need to a SIM card in the Ipad but it needs to have the cellular capabilities and it sounds like it does.

A chipset is just a specific chip used in the device. There are WiFi only Ipad minis as well as those with the cellular capabilities. There are different chipsets used to achieve this when the units are manufactured.

You could try and set the controller as the Home point from a much closer location to see if that helps. What device are you using Ipad Mini 2 ? Ipad Mini 4?

Also is precision landing enabled?

That only applies to iPads.
Almost every Android tablet has GPS.

This is true and those Android device GPS chipsets can be rendered useless like in the case of upgrading the Android based Nvidia Shield Tablet (which I own and use) to a newer version of the Android OS. Which is the case. Nvidia no longer manufactures this VERY capable tablet so support for updating the Android OS and fubaring the GPS capabilities are not supported.

I have a SIM card in my ipad. Isn't this what gives it cellular capabilities? This is the first time I have seen the word chipset.
Your iPad has GPS but there have been quite a few iPad users complaining that they are unable to reset the homepoint to the controller loaction recently.
It would appear there's a problem with iOS and/or DJI firmware that's causing it.
When the message says weak GPS, that's DJI's way of saying No GPS

Have checked to see if the operation is in RC mode or WIFI mode? It should be in RC mode. Your IPAD does not need a sim card to operate in RC mode. I too use an IPAD and have no problems and always get at least 18 sats. I live in rural western Oregon.

Have checked to see if the operation is in RC mode or WIFI mode? It should be in RC mode. Your IPAD does not need a sim card to operate in RC mode. I too use an IPAD and have no problems and always get at least 18 sats. I live in rural western Oregon.
Your Phantom always gets at least 18 sats with its GPS receiver but that has nothing to do with your iPad.

It is in RC mode, and I get plenty of satellites, in rural Montana even.

Yes! That is what would allow one to use the Cellular Capabilities. There does not need to a SIM card in the Ipad but it needs to have the cellular capabilities and it sounds like it does.

A chipset is just a specific chip used in the device. There are WiFi only Ipad minis as well as those with the cellular capabilities. There are different chipsets used to achieve this when the units are manufactured.

You could try and set the controller as the Home point from a much closer location to see if that helps. What device are you using Ipad Mini 2 ? Ipad Mini 4?

Also is precision landing enabled?
It is an Ipad Air Model 1475, and precision landing is enabled. I bought the Ipad reconditioned - my mistake? And I don't know anything about tablets and Apple products.

You could try and set the controller as the Home point from a much closer location to see if that helps.
None of that would make any difference since the message he's getting is Weak (which means no) GPS signal.
This is a common issue lately with iPads.

None of that would make any difference since the message he's getting is Weak (which means no) GPS signal.
Your Phantom always gets at least 18 sats with its GPS receiver but that has nothing to do with your iPad.
I did not say that it did. Obviously this is what the RC is receiving, and that information is displayed on the IPad or whatever device is being used. He indicates a weak signal when initiating RTH and that the chosen landing site might not be suitable. I have had that experience a couple of times as well and in both cases, it was related to a reflective surface.

Obviously this is what the RC is receiving, and that information is displayed on the IPad
The RC has no way to receive any GPS signals.
It;s the Mavic that is receiving GPS signals.
He indicates a weak signal when initiating RTH and that the chosen landing site might not be suitable. I have had that experience a couple of times as well and in both cases, it was related to a reflective surface.
And, like I've mentioned already, this is an issue that's turning up quite frequently lately with iPad owners who are out in the open but because of some recent software glitch, the app tells them it has no GPS signal even though the iPad does have good GPS reception.

And, like I've mentioned already, this is an issue that's turning up quite frequently lately with iPad owners who are out in the open but because of some recent software glitch, the app tells them it has no GPS signal even though the iPad does have good GPS reception.
My Ipad has a working google maps app. Tracks my progress along the suggested route to a destination. Does that indicate that it hs GPS capability and that the fault must be in the software on Go 4?

Yes, the Mavic is receiving the GPS signals and communicates with the RC, which controls the MAvic. Perhaps it is time for DJI to update the app, if possible. I'm betting they are working on it.

Was not aware of the IPad issue until your psot. I use an IPAD and fortunately have not experienced the issue.

Seems likely that the version of DJIGO4 that is being used is not functioning correctly. One could write down / save all of thier customization's within the DJIGO4 app. Remove it and then power off and back on the Ipad and reload DJIGO4. Its worth a shot. It will mean setting all of the customizations back up again as those are lost upon removal and re installation.

Seems likely that the version of DJIGO4 that is being used is not functioning correctly. One could write down / save all of thier customization's within the DJIGO4 app. Remove it and then power off and back on the Ipad and reload DJIGO4. Its worth a shot. It will mean setting all of the customizations back up again as those are lost upon removal and re installation.
I removed and reloaded the app on both my Ipad and my Android phone. They both have good google map operation, following me afoot or in car. So I am guessing the problem is in the app. I wonder, do people from MJI read these mesages?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura