DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH ascended into a tree, hovered between branches, couldn't get it out.

Gooseman

Reactions
I know. My bad. I'll admit also there was a degree of panic that might have clouded my problem solving skills...

I didn't manage to cancel in time the RTH on a low battery, so my M2P ascended, into some branches, and there it stayed, with apparently all the obstacle detection sensors in overdrive. I could see a clear avenue (sorry for the pun) out but it wasn't interested, even when turning sideways and rearways to try and force an exit on the less efficient sensors.

In retrospect I could have gone into the menus and turned them off but that would present its own problems, like possible drift/ impact, then fall.

Would there have been a simple 'get out' in this situation?

Can't help sorry as I had a similar problem with one I had a play with, it was hovering just out of reach and couldn't get it to do anything. How did you get yours out etc.? The one I was using ended up dropping into the hedge.

You could have gave it up stick and it would have went back up till you could have canceled it but if you ever let go it will continue landing. At a certain point with a low battery it’s going to come down.Had a Phantom do that trying to get it back to me and the battery got so low the motors just shut off. Unfortunately I was at 40’.

Ascended or descended?

Ascended going by the thread title so I'm assuming it's tried to reach RTH height, realised there's an obstruction and stopped in that position.

Edit - I'm not sure what to suggest myself and this seems an unusual situation because after going through the crash forum to generate some stats, drones and trees almost always end up badly for the drone.

Last edited:
Ascended going by the thread title so I'm assuming it's tried to reach RTH height, realised there's an obstruction and stopped in that position.
Thank you I read it to fast.?

I thought I understood that the mavic pro 2 disables sensors when starts to land. At least mine reminds me that as it begins its decent, it turns sensors off. Could that be why it didn't avoid the tree?

The key lessons here are 1) to never allow your drone to become so depleted that it returns to home without your permission.
2) trees are not your friends.

I've been in this situation twice but for different reasons. One resulted in a crash, the second time I slowed down to think it through and was able to change settings and navigate out of this dangerous position.

I know. My bad. I'll admit also there was a degree of panic that might have clouded my problem solving skills...

I didn't manage to cancel in time the RTH on a low battery, so my M2P ascended, into some branches, and there it stayed, with apparently all the obstacle detection sensors in overdrive. I could see a clear avenue (sorry for the pun) out but it wasn't interested, even when turning sideways and rearways to try and force an exit on the less efficient sensors.

In retrospect I could have gone into the menus and turned them off but that would present its own problems, like possible drift/ impact, then fall.

Would there have been a simple 'get out' in this situation?
This would be an interesting topic for an Air 2, also, with no top or side sensors. Maybe tapping RTH to get it to stop and hover then quickly turning off both obstacle avoidance settings in Fly , going to Tripod mode and very carefully trying to manoeuvre out and down. Maybe also alternating the Function button to switch the gimbal down then level, to check clearances whilst slowly rotating the drone whilst coming down. And turn the LED light on to assist with downward visibility, through the lens and looking up, from the ground. If it got up there, it must come down the same way! Pity they don’t have the new BMW 330i’s “reverse out” auto function!

Reactions: RustyBonz
The key lessons here are 1) to never allow your drone to become so depleted that it returns to home without your permission.
2) trees are not your friends.

I've been in this situation twice but for different reasons. One resulted in a crash, the second time I slowed down to think it through and was able to change settings and navigate out of this dangerous position.
Additional lesson...whenever possible make sure "Home Point" is well away from tress, power likes, light poles, etc.

My drone never flies back home on its own. It tells me that battery is just enough to return home, and offers rth. I never say yes. Because 1) there is mostly still enough battery for a few more minutes, 2) why should I use this function anyway. Flying is fun, and flying manually is much faster than waiting for the rth mode to reach height, turning around, hovering, flying rather slowly towards the homepoint, etc...

I just had 2 situation, where rth was handy.
1) it lost signal and came back
2) I lost orientation.

In both situations I pressed the big red X button on the left of the screen and flew manually.

Because like I said in another thread, you can not trust and rely on the sensors!!!

The only reason the drone lands automatically is when the battery is very low, then it just descends. But you can still control it.

Bow and arrow with attached fishing line helped retrieve a tree-struck drone for me.

I think we need razor sharp stainless steel blades to chop our way through foliage. What could go wrong?

Or I could be more careful! :)

We will always have pilot error, if you could not see a screen right in front of you I could understand, but think before you act, and watch and trust your instruments.

Reactions: RustyBonz
Once, I was about 4000ft distant, 125ft over water with my M2P. At 29% I started my return flight back. At about 3500ft distant, the M2P decided that there was just enough battery to get to the home point and initiated a RTH. It climbed another 50ft or so, and started coming back. I could not cancel the RTH. It returned to my "H" pad on the ground beautifully, with 17% battery remaining! Something when wrong with it's battery/flight estimates that one time. Weird...

While learning to interface with my MP2 flying around my home and through spaces between trees, I encountered a very similar sticky situation. The constant beeping of alerts and alarms led to my shutting off the sensors. I still have them disabled. I don’t mind the avoidance but the mental sonic pain is too high a price to me to pay for artificial control.

while doing well at 12’ AGL I was hovering adjusting the camera, in a non-linear battery burn (39% to 25%) surprisingly quick RTH was triggered. Stunned and panicked, I watched as control of my drone was Taken away from me. Rising it was on its way to a “safe” altitude (120’) the canopy of oak trees rife with skinny branches lives at about 80’

Several events were occurring at once. Cancel RTH? Selected- a second window presented a choice: a) Cancel, b) OK . I hit Cancel since I wanted to cancel, right?. Wrong! Cancel/ok a better choice. Meanwhile the upward facing near field optical sensors Stopped Mr Drone from ramming into the canopy. Rotors were tick tapping on the skinny branches while I was kinda freaking out.

Once I figured out how not to cancel cancel, control was given back to me and safely we landed. Learned several good lessons that day. I am Leary of using RTH and all sensors. Although I respect them and use near field when hand catching. Mastering their use is on my task list. I came to the forum asking about if it’s okay to fly with a nick on my rotor. Good advice given was to replace an inexpensive part to save an expensive drone. I bought 8 blades that day. Haven’t needed to replace them yet, but now I will just to freshen them up 20 fly-time hours later.

good luck and like George of the Jungle “Watch out for those trees”!!!!!

I wonder IF, with the MA2, you press the RTH to PAUSE, would an already RTH started sequence Stop?

The RTH button if pressed once will PAUSE the drone in whatever it is doing BUT, will it pause a RTH?
Hmm...

Attachments

• RTH.JPG
    RTH.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 6
Once, I was about 4000ft distant, 125ft over water with my M2P. At 29% I started my return flight back. At about 3500ft distant, the M2P decided that there was just enough battery to get to the home point and initiated a RTH. It climbed another 50ft or so, and started coming back. I could not cancel the RTH. It returned to my "H" pad on the ground beautifully, with 17% battery remaining! Something when wrong with it's battery/flight estimates that one time. Weird...

I don't understand, where is that setting to tell the drone, force rth without any chance to cancel it?
I can always cancel it.

I wonder IF, with the MA2, you press the RTH to PAUSE, would an already RTH started sequence Stop?

The RTH button if pressed once will PAUSE the drone in whatever it is doing BUT, will it pause a RTH?
Hmm...
Go outside and try it :)

So the version of software current on DJI stock controller for M2P allows for cancelling a machine initiated RTH. As an “Are you sure?” Second pop-up literally presents a choice to cancel the cancel. I did that 3 times in panic before I realized the error of my ways. Say Okay to cancel if that’s what you want. It seems intended as a fail-safe when the lamb is lost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka