DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH didn't kick in with weak then lost signal

offtheback

Reactions
Mavic2 PRO.1 month old flew over open space-ocean out about 2500 feet.Got signal poor warning,moved me+the controller some to try+re-establish.Signal lost.Have RTH with lost signal enabled but drone did not RTH.Pressed RTH as well.
Got home after waiting and looking around for drone(thought it might have gone swimming).Looked at my ipad connected to controller and saw symbol of drone about 3000 feet from home point(takeoff)Went there and found drone in residents backyard.Had fallen upside down on ground perhaps bounced off roof?Night.Gimbal broken,blades snapped and bent landing legs.What did I do to cause this or was it equipment malfunction?Tahnks for any help

What did I do to cause this or was it equipment malfunction?
As usual, it's the recorded flight data that needs to be seen to look into this mystery.
But if it happened after losing signal, there won't be any record of it.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

In my hurry to send the drone for replacement under DJI Care Refresh I idn't download the flight data.I believe DJI will look at it to determine fault or is that like the fox checking on the chickens.Oh just saw that ipad may have it.I'm like so new at this:)

In my hurry to send the drone for replacement under DJI Care Refresh I idn't download the flight data.I believe DJI will look at it to determine fault or is that like the fox checking on the chickens.Oh just saw that ipad may have it.I'm like so new at this:)

The flight data in question are on your iPad - follow the instructions in the link that @Meta4 provided above.

I believe DJI will look at it to determine fault or is that like the fox checking on the chickens.
While DJI produce great drones, they aren't very good at communicating the cause of the incident.
If it's possible to find out what caused the incident, that can be valuable information to help you fly safer in future.

It's possible it still had uplink, just no downlink. That means you might not have telemetry or video, but you may still have control. Solution to that is send RTH anyway, or try raising altitude.
Still, even if you had uplink and left it hovering, it still should have eventually come back on low battery, even avoiding obstacles in many cases.

Reactions: Kilrah
As Dan said, it should have made it's way back home even with a disconnect. Do you have more information during pre-flight? Were you able to confirm the home point was set prior to taking off?

Reactions: warlock 31
Thanks for all the help.I have looked at the files and will put them on the forum.Looking at them as a newbie I saw nothing remarkable other than weak signal.Perhaps there's more.

I have DAT downloaded to my Mac.I can read the words in textedit.How do I post the file here?Is there more in the files that shows map?

Did the app crash and you opened it again? I have had my home point reset to the current Mavic location after the app crashes. This was on Android. So now if I have app crash and reopen I will change home point to the remote.

That's not supposed to happen. I've had lots of app crashes and never got a home point reset (thank goodness).

The logs should show this but it is possible that winds aloft were too strong for your Mavic to fight so it lost ground until low battery forced it to land.
...I believe DJI will look at it to determine fault ...
DJI doesn't determine fault for a Refresh claim. They would look very closely if it were a warranty claim.

Did the app crash and you opened it again? I have had my home point reset to the current Mavic location after the app crashes. This was on Android. So now if I have app crash and reopen I will change home point to the remote.
Do you have any evidence to back that up?
It didn't happen at all.
The whole idea of recording a home point is so that the drone can RTH if it loses contact.
The only time your drone records a home point is when it gets its first good GPS location fix and it keeps that until either you power off the drone or you reset the home point.

Haven't been able to use the uploader.Says the DAT files need to be text or csv.Here's the last 3 entries(latest first).[["2018-11-11 17:12:49","","Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]],[["2018-11-11 17:12:49","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]],[["2018-11-11 17:26:29","","Ambient Light too Weak, Vision Positioningobstacle sensing is unavailable.,please ensure safety during the flight"]] [["2018-11-11 17:12:36","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]],[["2018-11-11 17:12:43","","Upward Obstacle Detected"],["2018-11-11 17:12:44","","Upward Obstacle Detected"],["2018-11-11 17:12:45","","Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit"]] [["2018-11-11 17:03:26","","Auxiliary Bottom Light turned on."]],[["2018-11-11 17:03:28","","Auxiliary Bottom Light turned off."]],[["2018-11-11 17:07:20","","Auxiliary Bottom Light set to automatic mode."],["2018-11-11 17:07:21","","Auxiliary Bottom Light turned on."],["2018-11-11 17:07:22","","Auxiliary Bottom Light turned off."]],[["2018-11-11 17:11:16","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]],[["2018-11-11 17:11:46","","The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now."]],[["2018-11-11 17:12:01","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]] Is this of any help or do I need it some other format?Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada