DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH due to low battery does not climb first?

Chirp

Reactions
I had my first Return To Home due to low battery and I was surprised that it did not climb first.

It just went straight to home and luckily did not hit the peak of a roof that was about 2 feet under it.

Is that the way it is? Just heads straight home?

Thanks!!!

How far away was your Mavic from the home point when it started returning home?

Reactions: Chirp
Ah, that makes sense then. Check out these special cases from the "Return-to-Home" section of the Mavic manual:

Manual.jpg

Ah, that makes sense then. Check out these special cases from the "Return-to-Home" section of the Mavic manual:

View attachment 25915

That's it. It's the second one.
I was lucky because it could have flown straight into the peak of the roof because the MP was only a couple feet from it, no time for me to correct it manually. Hopefully the sensors would have stopped it. Thanks!

Yep, as mentioned, RTH only climbs if over a certain distance away.

Take this is a reminder to read the entire manual twice before you fly, and maybe again a time or two after that as you get more experience. Especially in regards to RTH, if you spend some time reading posts here you'll find that misunderstanding RTH is a huge, possibly the #1 reason people have crashes. Even more often than simply flying into something themselves, it's them not understanding what the drone does on auto-pilot.

Reactions: Flycaster
You do have the opportunity to over-ride for a while.
It's best to resist that temptation to do one more move until the battery warnings start though.
The last few percentage points are only an estimate and when it's too low it's going down.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Is this info up to date?
Yes. It's straight from the Mavic manual. You can reference it in the future if you want to check for updates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42