DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH during a waypoint mission

dwolfe002

Reactions
I was wondering if anybody knew what happens if you hit the RTH button on the RC in the middle of a waypoint mission. I have my settings to continue the mission if signal is lost and to RTH when the mission is done. But, if I were to run into problems during the mission with a full connection could I just simply hit the RTH and have it abort the mission even though it would continue if I lost signal. Around here the winds can change very quickly at times and I might not be able to get the M2P back if I can't interrupt the mission.

never tried it on my MPP but i would think that after you have pressed ter RTH one of two things will happen it will just return to home as normal or a message will pop up say do you want to abort the waypoint mission and you will then decide the outcome of course you could just try it and see what happens

I was wondering if anybody knew what happens if you hit the RTH button on the RC in the middle of a waypoint mission. I have my settings to continue the mission if signal is lost and to RTH when the mission is done. But, if I were to run into problems during the mission with a full connection could I just simply hit the RTH and have it abort the mission even though it would continue if I lost signal. Around here the winds can change very quickly at times and I might not be able to get the M2P back if I can't interrupt the mission.
Set up a short and close to you mission, then just try it and report your results. Thumbswayup

Reactions: mereflyer
never tried it on my MPP but i would think that after you have pressed ter RTH one of two things will happen it will just return to home as normal or a message will pop up say do you want to abort the waypoint mission and you will then decide the outcome of course you could just try it and see what happens

I'll try it after the winds calm down a little. I was just wondering if anybody had tried it while I'm waiting. Might be a couple of days but I will report my findings when I'm done. Thanks

I was wondering if anybody knew what happens if you hit the RTH button on the RC in the middle of a waypoint mission...
I have used the pause button on the RC to stop a Litchi waypoint mission. You could then start RTH if you wanted or just take manual control. I have not tried using RTH while a mission is running.

I also set the first and last waypoint high enough above my homepoint to clear any obstacles on the route. The first one is so I can stop to check focus and camera settings and the last one is so RTH is not needed to come home. That way it should return even if the RC is turned off.

I did it this past sunday. It started to rain and I pressed the button for a few seconds and it came back. But, I still had connection, no signal loss.

As long as you have connection to the drone the RTH button works the same way in every mode. Long press and a few seconds later the drone will start the RTH process. If you do not have connection to the drone the RTH button obviously won’t do anything until the signal has returned.

The low battery smart RTH feature still works in waypoints even if you lose connection and the drone resumes the mission. Once the battery is low enough that the drone can only RTH it will abort the waypoint mission and RTH.

Last edited:
Thanks @brett8883, @bronze661, and @Mossiback . I do appreciate it. Around here the wind will switch 180 degrees and sometimes go back to original quickly and sometimes will continue to blow in the direction it changed to for a while. Since I have more water to fly over than land I thought I would check. To me, it's a little scary to try something that you don't know will work over water with quickly shifting winds.

Take care and happy flying!

Thanks @brett8883, @bronze661, and @Mossiback . I do appreciate it. Around here the wind will switch 180 degrees and sometimes go back to original quickly and sometimes will continue to blow in the direction it changed to for a while. Since I have more water to fly over than land I thought I would check. To me, it's a little scary to try something that you don't know will work over water with quickly shifting winds.

Take care and happy flying!

Np. The M2P is Powerful. Wind is something to be mindful of but it would have to be one heck of a storm to bring it down.

You are welcome.

Many a Mavic have been sent off on a waypoint mission never to be seen again. The "feature" of continuing the mission when connection with the RC is lost is the main cause, either by pilot error in setting up the mission or a RC communication failure. If you send it out far enough to lose connection then you are counting on technology to work correctly to get it back. Unfortunately, estimated battery needed to return is just that, an estimate. It does not take wind speed and direction into account so if there is a headwind on the return it will fight it until it runs out of power. Then, since you have no logs without a connection, you will have very little chance of finding it without a Marco Polo type of tracker.

Np. The M2P is Powerful. Wind is something to be mindful of but it would have to be one heck of a storm to bring it down.

I live at the coast and the winds during the springtime can easily get to 30 mph steady, and they can come up on a moments notice. The wind around here scares me much more than the water.

You are welcome.

Many a Mavic have been sent off on a waypoint mission never to be seen again. The "feature" of continuing the mission when connection with the RC is lost is the main cause, either by pilot error in setting up the mission or a RC communication failure. If you send it out far enough to lose connection then you are counting on technology to work correctly to get it back. Unfortunately, estimated battery needed to return is just that, an estimate. It does not take wind speed and direction into account so if there is a headwind on the return it will fight it until it runs out of power. Then, since you have no logs without a connection, you will have very little chance of finding it without a Marco Polo type of tracker.

I probably won't send it out too far, 300 to 500 yards at most while I'm getting used to what it will do. Most of the time I will have to be in my boat anyway. I may have to change my setting for continuing the mission but that was most of the reason for checking the RTH during the mission. If I see it having any problems, I want to get it back as soon as possible. Most of the time a Marco Polo won't do me any good because around here it is mostly water, marshland, and trees and I'm not lucky enough for it to find a piece of land to land on if it flies away.

hit pause, then RTH

Just finished trying it even with higher winds than I wanted and it works just as all you said. Thanks. I didn't think I would try it with the winds but decided to give it a go. Worked perfectly except for the landing which was about 10 feet off. Could have something to do with the wind. It lined up perfectly above the pad but as it came down it kept shifting to the left. I even figured out how to delete waypoint missions and checked out all the pine straw in my gutters. Now, I have to go to work cleaning gutters.

I thought about it but all the water around me is saltwater. Even if I did "
GetterBack" she wouldn't be any good. I may check out some insurance before the summer comes around.
Yeah, salt water will fry it, but if you have Care Refresh you will need the wreck to get a replacement.

I thought about it but all the water around me is saltwater. Even if I did "
GetterBack" she wouldn't be any good. I may check out some insurance before the summer comes around.
I took out the DJI Refresh within a day of buying MP2 When it ditched in the sea I was able to recover it. DJI are repairing it with a charge of £99

I took out the DJI Refresh within a day of buying MP2 When it ditched in the sea I was able to recover it. DJI are repairing it with a charge of £99

If you dropped it in the ocean you should hope you get a different drone back. Most of my flying is over saltwater and I didn't get refresh because I thought they would send the old one back to me after repair. Read later that they may send a different one back but I wouldn't want the original back. Saltwater combined with air will deteriorate almost anything!

If you dropped it in the ocean you should hope you get a different drone back. Most of my flying is over saltwater and I didn't get refresh because I thought they would send the old one back to me after repair. Read later that they may send a different one back but I wouldn't want the original back. Saltwater combined with air will deteriorate almost anything!
Thank you I have noted the serial number so will check. This is the photo they sent me

Reactions: Saigondroner
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+