DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH landing

Bob1956

Reactions
I enjoy playing with the RTH landing feature but my Mavic P2 "precision landing" gets less precise if I use it more than once a session. After the slow climb and hover at 30 ft I'll climb and fly away. From about 2000 feet I'll hit the RTH button. Using I'm trying to impress spectators. The first landing is almost dead center and within 1/2". I have the 2 ft yellow/black landing pad. The second RTH landing is at the edge of the pad. The drone always lands behind and to the right of center, never yet fwd of center. The third RTH is worse. It straddles the landing pad or lands beside it.

I've never tried a fourth RTH precision landing.

That's still a lot better than without PL. Before they brought in PL to the M2, you could be as far off as 10ft!

I noticed it's less accurate if it is quite high upon reaching HP. If the AC is higher than RTH altitude, it stays at current altitude on its way home.

That's still a lot better than without PL. Before they brought in PL to the M2, you could be as far off as 10ft!

I noticed it's less accurate if it is quite high upon reaching HP. If the AC is higher than RTH altitude, it stays at current altitude on its way home.
Quite high is the only option here. I fly in the wooded hill country around Pittsburgh. 200 ft RTH will ensure a collision with a hill and you won't make it home. Today I was flying from a hill top but a lot of times I'm flying in the valley. I don't clear the ridge tops there till 250 feet , not including the tree tops. Next time I'll bring it down to 100 feet myself and then let Otto land it. Also found out I enjoy thinking up tests and experiments with this amazing machine.

A new homepoint is set each time it takes off. Do you re-center your M2 before each takeoff and do the 30 foot hover each time?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I was around 390ft and it was just off the pad. I had seen it correct itself mid descent in the past. Not sure why it seems to be off now.

A new homepoint is set each time it takes off. Do you re-center your M2 before each takeoff and do the 30 foot hover each time?
That might be it ! If it lands inside the pad even at the edge, I'll take off again without touching it. If it straddles or misses the pad, I'll place it back on center.

I was around 390ft and it was just off the pad. I had seen it correct itself mid descent in the past. Not sure why it seems to be off now.
A few weeks ago it came down on an RTH landing with a circling the drain action, a corkscrew motion to touchdown . When I do RTH landings I'm recording and have the camera pointed straight down. Landed close to bullseye but I calibrated the IMU after that and haven't seen it since.

That might be it ! If it lands inside the pad even at the edge, I'll take off again without touching it. If it straddles or misses the pad, I'll place it back on center.
Yep. It is landing within inches of where it took off from. That's pretty accurate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98