DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH mode with no GPS

alan860

Reactions
Thankfully this hasn’t happened to me, and hopefully never will. However, I was just wondering what would happen.

So, say I takeoff with good satellite coverage, RTH firmly set in the birds memory I set off and go on a little trip. Then, boom - GPS coverage and control signal falls to nil. Will the lil bugger just hover there until either GPS returns or it gets a control input? Or does it do something else?

I’m sure I read somewhere that it would reverse a bit, but can’t confirm that. Even if it did reverse, what if it’s still not enough to recover control?

If you picture your self well knowing where your house is ... then I blindfold you and take you for a trip. Suddenly you find yourself ditched on the side of what it seems a highway with heavy traffic ... still blindfolded.

If you remain blindfolded you certainly can't find your way home ... hearing all that heavy traffic makes you really hesitant to move ... so you decide that the safest is to sit down & stay put, waiting for someone to come & pick you up. :p :D

If you loose GPS coverage & the ground are out of reach from the VPS sensors ... all that remains is ATTI mode. If loosing the connection to your RC in that state, the AC will land.

I kinda thought that might be the case. Ideally it would use some inertial navigation sensors to backtrack, but I figured that would be a step too far.

Inertial guidance only maintains the course and speed you are going. It is not knowledgeable at all about it’s position. If the wind changes the drone won’t know it, and will continue flying with the speed and direction of the inertial guidance and the speed and direction of the wind combined.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada