DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Obstacle Avoidance Issue

Joe@SML

Reactions
Has anyone seen this issue . . . When activating RTH, Mavic goes to set altitude and starts to return. As it get up to speed, it thinks it sees an obstacle and stops, then resumes and again stops, each time indicating it sees an obstacle. No issue like this in any other flight mode or speed.

Are you flying into the sun?

Has anyone seen this issue . . . When activating RTH, Mavic goes to set altitude and starts to return. As it get up to speed, it thinks it sees an obstacle and stops, then resumes and again stops, each time indicating it sees an obstacle. No issue like this in any other flight mode or speed.
I had the same exact thing happen to me. I sent mine in and DJI replaced it. I have still yet to know what caused this, but I wished I knew

Is there something partially obscuring your forward vision sensors? Maybe inbetween the plastic cover and the lens?

Such as not enough to trigger an obstacle under controlled flight, but is enough to trigger it when the sensitivity gets cranked up during autonomous RTH?

Had it happen to me a few times, the angle of the sun when it goes into the forward mode placed the blades of one of the front props in direct line between the sun and the sensor. The flickering sunlight through the blades made it think there was something in front of it. I could fly manually up to approx 12kmh, but above that it would chuck a hissy fit and stop ‘avoiding an obstacle’...

Reactions: Neptunevideo
I had the same exact thing happen to me. I sent mine in and DJI replaced it. I have still yet to know what caused this, but I wished I knew

I have the Mavic since 2 months now, and I used RTH just 1 time and it was Ok! I always fly it back by myself actually. So maybe has the same problem and I didn't figured it out yet. If I check that issue in lets say 1 or 2 years, will DJI accept to repair it or exchange it for me with a new one? Or I have to test everything now (the coming weeks)?

So maybe has the same problem and I didn't figured it out yet.
That issue is commonly caused by the sun (which is working as-designed, but not an ideal design). Since your Mavic returned just fine, I don't think you're in the same boat as the OP.

I have the Mavic since 2 months now, and I used RTH just 1 time and it was Ok! I always fly it back by myself actually. So maybe has the same problem and I didn't figured it out yet. If I check that issue in lets say 1 or 2 years, will DJI accept to repair it or exchange it for me with a new one? Or I have to test everything now (the coming weeks)?

Test EVERYTHING now ..... :)

I have same problem, and I am not flying into the sun(6 PM in Ohio headed east on return flight). I thought I lost my Mavic Pro yesterday due to this problem combined with a drain of battery. I had to land on the opposite side of the lake on some railroad tracks to save it. Luckily the flight log coordinates took me right to my drone. I tried to calibrate forward vision sensors, but it keeps telling me to reboot my drone ( another problem). Anyone have any input, suggestions, fixes?

A sensor calibration may fix it (calibration may fail on some monitors or at certain monitor resolutions). You can turn off collision avoidance until you get a good calibration or find a fix. I have mine turned off to get better performance without the over-sensitive stick movements I get in sport mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf