DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH question: aircraft location or remote controller location?

ve3lbq

Reactions
Hey guys, I am a newbie flying my MP and have question before I start messing with the settings. What would be the best approach on setting RTH if you are on a boat moving around islands and flying MP while on the go? I have a filming scenario taking off from a boat and following us until we land on a shore. I see app setting options suggest RTH aircraft location or remote controller location as the home point. Seems like RC for RTH would be the way to go but not so sure....Thanks!

from experience - set loss of signal to Hover, disable smart return to home under battery options, if you're going to be using active track you can enable dynamic homepoint but that updates the HP to the position on the DRONE not the RC so it's basically redundant if you make the two config changes i suggested

Good luck!

OK, good points. For hover option the hope would be that when RC gets closer it regains the control I assume? In case the signal did not get better (i.e. interference, RC sinks etc) what would happen then after some time? Would there be any secondary automatic option picked up flying to the last HP or so? Maybe it is a silly question but want to drill all possible scenarios before I fly over the water...

OK, good points. For hover option the hope would be that when RC gets closer it regains the control I assume? In case the signal did not get better (i.e. interference, RC sinks etc) what would happen then after some time? Would there be any secondary automatic option picked up flying to the last HP or so? Maybe it is a silly question but want to drill all possible scenarios before I fly over the water...

It will try to land it its current location once it reaches critical battery.. Hover buys you time to resolve the issue (i.e. most likely turn the boat around), RTH or land are really not a good idea above water ;)

If you are going to fly over water a lot then look at one of the float options for the Mavic.

If you are going to fly over water a lot then look at one of the float options for the Mavic.
Very good suggestion although have no time anymore to prepare better being already on the road....Anyway what is the most reliable floating option to date? I tried to make my own floats once but it did not work making MP unstable. But I admit I did not spend much of the time on it to perfect.

It will try to land it its current location once it reaches critical battery.. Hover buys you time to resolve the issue (i.e. most likely turn the boat around), RTH or land are really not a good idea above water ;)

Newbie. Not challenging you, but wanting to understand. Why would RTH be bad over water. Seems like it would at least try to return to shore, where hover would mean if you didn't regain control, it would eventually land in water. What am I missing here?

Newbie. Not challenging you, but wanting to understand. Why would RTH be bad over water. Seems like it would at least try to return to shore, where hover would mean if you didn't regain control, it would eventually land in water. What am I missing here?
The suggestion I believe was specifically for my project/scenario when taking off from a speed boat and landing on a shore shortly after or getting back to the boat.

Exactly... you don't want this to happen:

O9xjxQn.png

it would not return to shore, hes taking off from a boat and then moving arround
Yes, I see that now. Sorry, I thought you were giving general info. I need to follow the thread more carefully. My bad.

The suggestion I believe was specifically for my project/scenario when taking off from a speed boat and landing on a shore shortly after or getting back to the boat.
Interesting scenario. Being a Newbie myself I have a similar project in mind, a few months ahead.

I consider two options, - first being lift off from a nearby marina/quay, which will be my RTH position, fly out the MP to my boat abt 1/2 mile, and get some 15 minutes of shooting, and then RTH (marina). The safest option to my mind.

The second being hand release/grip from the boat, forw. and down looking sensors off, and hover if and when when MP initiates RTH (low battery). With my present skills and experience I don't think I am ready for this option yet. I've seen others are.

In the meantime I spend all my time reading this forum, watching videos (tutorials), - and familiarize myself with flying the MP. Very cautiously!!

I look forward to an update (with video?) on your project when you have completed your mission.

Reactions: hryzec
Interesting scenario. Being a Newbie myself I have a similar project in mind, a few months ahead.

I consider two options, - first being lift off from a nearby marina/quay, which will be my RTH position, fly out the MP to my boat abt 1/2 mile, and get some 15 minutes of shooting, and then RTH (marina). The safest option to my mind.

The second being hand release/grip from the boat, forw. and down looking sensors off, and hover if and when when MP initiates RTH (low battery). With my present skills and experience I don't think I am ready for this option yet. I've seen others are.

In the meantime I spend all my time reading this forum, watching videos (tutorials), - and familiarize myself with flying the MP. Very cautiously!!

I look forward to an update (with video?) on your project when you have completed your mission.
Be aware of propellers when hand catching. It took me a month to heal the wounds. Those things are **** strong and persistent :D

Here's what I do when flying from a boat at a lake that is not horribly far from land. First thing I do is take off and fly over to clear spot on shore then select Set Home Point to Aircraft. Then I proceed to fly my mission knowing that event that something happens during the flight that forces a RTH the aircraft will fly that spot and land.

Here's what I do when flying from a boat at a lake that is not horribly far from land. First thing I do is take off and fly over to clear spot on shore then select Set Home Point to Aircraft. Then I proceed to fly my mission knowing that event that something happens during the flight that forces a RTH the aircraft will fly that spot and land.

Note I never use RTH unless it's an emergency. All takeoffs and landings are done manually from the boat. The homepoint is is only set for the scenerio where radio link is broken and unrecoverable.

If you do your first plan, be SURE to check the winds. It would be very upsetting if, after all your planning, you didn't make it back to feet dry. Another consideration would be that while you are flying to your boat, did someone come and occupy your original home point? I would consider keeping the boat closer, and perhaps following the drone back in so that you could take over and land safely. Of course you are going to keep it in VLOS, the whole time. Right?

If you do your first plan, be SURE to check the winds. It would be very upsetting if, after all your planning, you didn't make it back to feet dry. Another consideration would be that while you are flying to your boat, did someone come and occupy your original home point? I would consider keeping the boat closer, and perhaps following the drone back in so that you could take over and land safely. Of course you are going to keep it in VLOS, the whole time. Right?
Thanks for your advice. Flying the MP is quite easy, with RTH and the all other features. BUT, - when considering all things that might happen, proper contingency planning seems essential to assure the return of MP home safely. I'll do my best :)

Reactions: Ozdriver
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie