DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Question.

Is there a altitude I should got to for a RTH setting?
yes one that clears the highest obstacle in the area where you intend to fly

yes one that clears the highest obstacle in the area where you intend to fly
... and not a lot higher. The lower you can be, the lighter the winds your bird will face during RTH. Obviously this is just optimization; clearing the local water tower takes priority. ?

I guess I was not clear with my original question. Sorry. I know about RTH settings, When I take off, should I ascend to the certain height to set my home point.

I guess I was not clear with my original question. Sorry. I know about RTH settings, When I take off, should I ascend to the certain height to set my home point.
No. That will not make a difference. The home point should be set automatically at takeoff. However if return to home is used, the drone will return at the height set in settings for return-to-home. As others said, this is useful for clearing objects in case of an unexpected return-to-home.

I have seen one lost drone crash when a person flying a Mavic Air had a battery problem over water. The drone spent its last energy climbing to a very high return-to-home altitude that was unnecessary, instead of flying horizontally over the flat water. So it can be important to adjust yours per flight. However I set mine for 100 feet and don't typically adjust it.

Upon take off, hover in the 4 to 10 foot (1.5 to 3m) range to establish HP for a few seconds, then go zoom!

As a general rule of thumb, the more opportunity you give your Mavic to get an idea of where it is at take-off, the closer it will be to that point when it does a RTH landing. Make sure that you are getting the Go4 'green-strip' indication showing you have GPS Lock, and the voice telling you that you have lock also. If you then ascend slowly to a height of about 10 metres (30 ft), before you fly off anywhere else, that should give the drone all it needs to get its geo-fix ...

Is there a altitude I should got to for a RTH setting?
Find the tallest obstacle above the takeoff point and add about 50 feet. You should do this each time you fly in a new location.

No. That will not make a difference. The home point should be set automatically at takeoff. However if return to home is used, the drone will return at the height set in settings for return-to-home. As others said, this is useful for clearing objects in case of an unexpected return-to-home.

I have seen one lost drone crash when a person flying a Mavic Air had a battery problem over water. The drone spent its last energy climbing to a very high return-to-home altitude that was unnecessary, instead of flying horizontally over the flat water. So it can be important to adjust yours per flight. However I set mine for 100 feet and don't typically adjust it.
Incorrect! Take-off vertically to approx 10m and hover for 5 seconds, that way the Home Point is accurately recorded both visually & GPS. Proven in videos last year.

You can set the return to Home altitude in the DJI4 app whenever you want(normally before taking off, considering the taller obstacle in the area you fly). If you need a precision landing when the model returns to home, you should either make an automatic take off, selecting the precision landing option, or manually take off, but rising vertical for at least 7 meters, before moving in ant direction.If you make an auto take off, selecting the precision landing option the model will rise at about 7 meters, before hovering, otherwise it will hover at about 1.2 meters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC